actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You get no value for your $ out here.

Ate at a Spanish restaurant in a strip mall, next to a Trader Joe's grocery store. This was not a gourmet restaurant. It was a step up from a typical NWI local joint. It is apparently a very popular place in the area. Lines to get in for dinner every night at this restaurant, but we are traveling with a 3 year old so we eat earlier, typically get reservations between 5 and 5:30pm to get out and home by his bedtime, usually easy to get early reservations.

Dinner for 3 tonight. We decided to share. 1 entree, 9 small appetizers, 3 drinks. Bill with a MANDATORY TIP was $304.00 and they allowed me the option of adding an additional tip. I declined.
    9 appetizers?
    Aren't those high mark up items?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Yeah, that was my first thought too.

Most of my California experience is centered around the major airports and yeah, that's always been expensive. But I've got property way up near the Oregon line and around those parts people and costs are much more reasonable. In Yreka you can get a pretty decent burger basket for $15 and a nice sit down Mexican meal for $20. Gas is always +$1 and now that everybody makes $15/hr minimum and spends most of their time smoking dope I imagine the food prices have gone up considerably. I haven't been out there since late 2021 and may not be going back.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I don't know what we ate in San Francisco, but it wasn't Chinese food. I drove around Chinatown for over an hour and couldn't find a parking place.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You get no value for your $ out here.

Ate at a Spanish restaurant in a strip mall, next to a Trader Joe's grocery store. This was not a gourmet restaurant. It was a step up from a typical NWI local joint. It is apparently a very popular place in the area. Lines to get in for dinner every night at this restaurant, but we are traveling with a 3 year old so we eat earlier, typically get reservations between 5 and 5:30pm to get out and home by his bedtime, usually easy to get early reservations.

Dinner for 3 tonight. We decided to share. 1 entree, 9 small appetizers, 3 drinks. Bill with a MANDATORY TIP was $304.00 and they allowed me the option of adding an additional tip. I declined.
    Don't go down to Coachella or Thermal for food... Even the McDonalds coffee was so weak and tasted like something else... and the breakfast taco thingies were dripping egg out of them... The price was ok though when we were down there. Just saying...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You are a fellow wheelgun fan?

Have you seen that Henry has launched a wheelgun? 6-rd 38/357 DA Revolver. I might look into that, not because I really need it but sort of as collector's piece. When was the last time you saw new entry into revolver manufacturing?
    I seen that one... Henry has always made a quality firearm but it looks a bit different... I might get one sometime down the road but I haven't been able to shoot much of my 38 spcl or 357 magnum revolvers for a few years now because of the neuropothy and arthritis in my hands. It would probably become a safe queen in the end. Getting old sucks...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I looked at that one several times, but couldn't decide. Glad you got it - nice score. And thank you for removing the temptation!

What sealed the deal is that he was willing to drive it up to me. I didn't even ask him to come down. If I had bought all of that retail it would have come to about $1300. $800 was a deal.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I don't know what we ate in San Francisco, but it wasn't Chinese food. I drove around Chinatown for over an hour and couldn't find a parking place.
    Parking and driving are brutal there. After visiting the redwoods and Napa Valley, we drove the steep streets to see the Haight-Ashbury area then found a parking spot by Alamo Square. After that, we parked at the hotel for a whopping $80 a day charge. We walked, cabbed, or took public transit most of the time. Worst part of the cab experience was everyone was dependent on Garmins. Unless it was the ballpark or airport, you had to give them the address.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Parking and driving are brutal there. After visiting the redwoods and Napa Valley, we drove the steep streets to see the Haight-Ashbury area then found a parking spot by Alamo Square. After that, we parked at the hotel for a whopping $80 a day charge. We walked, cabled, or took public transit most of the time. Worst part of the cab experience was everyone was dependent on Garmins. Unless it was the ballpark or airport, you had to give them the address.
    And I had my first panic attack ever on one of those triple-decker highways that goes way up in the sky (maybe Route 101?). No shoulder and 1-foot guardrail. Everyone was going at least 50 mph, and I froze. I had to will myself to keep going because I had no choice.

Edit: Waiting for CTC to start talking **** about me.

1681833967045.png

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    And I had my first panic attack ever on one of those triple-decker highways that goes way up in the sky (maybe Route 101?). No shoulder and 1-foot guardrail. Everyone was going at least 50 mph, and I froze. I had to will myself to keep going because I had no choice.

View attachment 270446
    Mine was going up to a 4 way stop with the nose of the car pointing up in the air to where you can't see the intersection. I paused, looked at my wife, and said, "I think it's my turn now." Luckily it was because I just went. Then riding the breaks downhill on the other side. Great place if you own a transmission or break shop.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

View attachment 270446
    I'll Chime in.
    What a gggiirrrlll!!!
    Driving in Cali was always fun, especially in the rain. Accidents everywhere as they don't know how to drive in rain in Southern Cali

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'll Chime in.
    What a gggiirrrlll!!!
    Driving in Cali was always fun, especially in the rain. Accidents everywhere as they don't know how to drive in rain in Southern Cali
    Wow, did not expect that from you. :drama: Hey, it doesn't make sense to me either, but it happened. Not the run-of-the-mill kinda icky feeling, but totally unexpected full-on terror. Some things can't be explained.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Wow, did not expect that from you. :drama: Hey, it doesn't make sense to me either, but it happened. Not the run-of-the-mill kinda icky feeling, but totally unexpected full-on terror. Some things can't be explained.
    Snap I get that full on terror feeling every time I have to go across the thin red line into Illnoid... I'm sick to my stomach for a week or so afterwards too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom