Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just throwing it out there, at first when Carvana told me I had to drop the truck off in Milwaukee, I called Midnight Blue, and they quoted me $150 to take us and the truck to Milwaukee, and bring us back home. I know Evansville is quite a bit farther, but just giving you an idea.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Still out here in sunny California.

What a beautiful state ruined by people/politics.

We rented a small home through AirBNB. It recently sold for $1.6M and is in a neighborhood similar to a typical Highland, Schererville or similar town. Except the lots are MUCH smaller. You can almost stand between 2 homes and reach out to touch both of them. Back yard is a little bigger than a legal size envelope. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, living/dining/kitchen. 1800 sq feet.

Gas is right about $5/gallon if you shop around for it. Eggs, not the organic, free range stuff, just the regular eggs, about $5/dozen, all food is crazy expensive here. And of course they charge for bags at the stores.

Went to a decent restaurant for dinner, not super fancy, but nice. 3 adults, 1 baby. 2 mixed drinks, 1 glass of wine, plus a 3 appetizers and 2 entrees. Cost was $325.00 with tip.

Reuben sandwich and a hamburger, at a local watering hole, no beer or soda, just water, $45 with tip.

Just saw an article that "rich" people will pay more for electricity than "poor" people and they define "rich" at $180,000 per year. Now that is a nice living in Indiana, but in California, especially here in the Silicon Valley area where we are staying, that is actually just above poverty living.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just throwing it out there, at first when Carvana told me I had to drop the truck off in Milwaukee, I called Midnight Blue, and they quoted me $150 to take us and the truck to Milwaukee, and bring us back home. I know Evansville is quite a bit farther, but just giving you an idea.
    Thanks.
    Got a lead on a place.
    Waiting for the price. They can bring it from eveansville to chicgaoland area.

That may work otherwise it's 2 people, and way too nuch paperwork that jedi does not want to do.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I remember sitting in a diner in LA back around 1990 with nothing better to do than leaf through one of those 'free-at-the-door' property listings with probably 30 pages, full color, maybe 200 properties listed. I made a game of finding the cheapest property listed. Turned out to be a one bedroom fixer-upper bungalow (on a corner lot!!) for $500,000. I had just spent $500,000 of my bosses money a year previous on a nice Citation Jet,.....about seven million dollars in today's money.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I remember sitting in a diner in LA back around 1990 with nothing better to do than leaf through one of those 'free-at-the-door' property listings with probably 30 pages, full color, maybe 200 properties listed. I made a game of finding the cheapest property listed. Turned out to be a one bedroom fixer-upper bungalow (on a corner lot!!) for $500,000. I had just spent $500,000 of my bosses money a year previous on a nice Citation Jet,.....about seven million dollars in today's money.
    LA is actually cheap compared to Silicon Valley area.

A few years ago my daughter was working at CISCO Systems as an entry level corporate lawyer. She had a small 1 bedroom apartment and I had to help her pay her rent. Her job cost me $1000/month and she was NOT living a lavish lifestyle. She was in Japantown neighborhood of San Jose. A modest cost area.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    And then people say, but you're paid so little in Indiana.

It's not what you're paid.
    It's what your pay gets you.
    You get no value for your $ out here.

Ate at a Spanish restaurant in a strip mall, next to a Trader Joe's grocery store. This was not a gourmet restaurant. It was a step up from a typical NWI local joint. It is apparently a very popular place in the area. Lines to get in for dinner every night at this restaurant, but we are traveling with a 3 year old so we eat earlier, typically get reservations between 5 and 5:30pm to get out and home by his bedtime, usually easy to get early reservations.

Dinner for 3 tonight. We decided to share. 1 entree, 9 small appetizers, 3 drinks. Bill with a MANDATORY TIP was $304.00 and they allowed me the option of adding an additional tip. I declined.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom