Northwest Indiana Gun Owners # 25 good morning all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    A couple I know drove down to Corpus Christi. They made it 1,340 miles in 22 hours by taking turns driving and not really pushing it. Any gasoline powered car could do the same thing but there are zero electric cars that could make it.

In order to increase the range of electric cars they have to add more battery capacity. The batteries already average over 1,000 pounds and some are over 2,000 pounds. When you add more batteries that is just more weight that is always there and you have to haul it around even when you are only making short trips.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    PSA: If you have cages on your downspouts, I'd go take a peek. 4/5 of mine were clogged with cottonwood.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A couple I know drove down to Corpus Christi. They made it 1,340 miles in 22 hours by taking turns driving and not really pushing it. Any gasoline powered car could do the same thing but there are zero electric cars that could make it.

In order to increase the range of electric cars they have to add more battery capacity. The batteries already average over 1,000 pounds and some are over 2,000 pounds. When you add more batteries that is just more weight that is always there and you have to haul it around even when you are only making short trips.
    No. To increase range, they have to change the batteries chemistry. That is what they are working on, making them out of different stuff to store more energy in less space and weight.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The vehicles that get the ranges I need are all far more expensive that I'm willing to pay given that I am constantly throwing in fencing equipment bags and also have a toddler who throws cereal and other food stuffs around the back seat.

Pretty much setting my top limit at something under $60K, and about $50k is more desirable; I have to admit that I love the Lucid, but not for a knock around car. Not a fan of the Tesla looks, inside or out.
    That leaves the Ioniq 6. :):

Good luck in your search. I know I obsess when I start looking at cars.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No. To increase range, they have to change the batteries chemistry. That is what they are working on, making them out of different stuff to store more energy in less space and weight.
    No. That new battery chemistry might happen, but it won't be until tomorrow. For today, where we all live, they have to add more batteries.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No. That new battery chemistry might happen, but it won't be until tomorrow. For today, where we all live, they have to add more batteries.
    They can't continue down that path.
    The vehicles become too heavy and our current roads/bridges won't be able to handle all that extra weight.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

And as more and more items go electric (tools, cars, bikes, etc ...), just wait until the shortage of raw materials to make batteries takes place, most of which are not sourced in the USA. I believe the transition to electric vehicles will have a natural limiting factor as the demand (and expense) of raw materials ramps up.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    They can't continue down that path.
    The vehicles become too heavy and our current roads/bridges won't be able to handle all that extra weight.
    You are definitely right. The technology isn't quite right for prime time yet. They need better batteries that have greater energy density and they also need better electrical infrastructure. The market pressures would then work in their favor and, wa-la, electric cars would be more than competitive and become main stream.
    Instead we have a foolish government and a bunch of foolish sheep trying to force it to happen right now instead of when it should.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It is in the works right now.

Here is one from Toyota expected in 2026

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom