Norinco SKS. Help me make it Norincool!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jamesgr86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Boise
    Im looking to modernize my SKS I was just gifted from my father. I am former military US ARMY Infantry and I would love to make it like my m4 I carried. What kind of rails and fore grip and scope should i get? I was infantry, not a sniper... so when it comes to different scopes and such I am a noob per say. I want a scope that can dial down to shoot something 100 yards as well as accurate at 500. Soooo, what power and such do you experts recommend? Im pretty sure the stock I'm going to get is the Tapco T6 with the lower rail, no bayonet - don't really care for one. I know what bipod and fore grip I'm going to get, and I'm looking at a nice quad rail. I just need help with what scope and if you guys have suggestions on anything else, even the things i have kind of decided on, that would be great. Open to suggestions, as i want to make this Rifle look B A! Thanks!

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    check out Shernic Gun Works. I did this to mine and love it. The kit is made really good and gives you plenty of rails in a smaller package. After I did this my buddy did it to his because he like the feel so much. Now a LGS is doing a bunch of them.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    1) Welcome

2) Thank you for your service...

3) Leave the SKS alone. Its a beautiful gun. I have one and its my favorite plinking gun. Nice thump, cheap ammo. For the money you'll spend go build or buy a M4 clone.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I can honestly say that I have thought about doing something similar a few years ago. I started doing research on the SKS and fell in love with the gun. I just couldn't justify doing it. Now if I had purchased a gunsmith special or something like that, I would consider it. But I wouldn't go more than a Tapco or ATI stock, with some kind of bedding, and maybe a red dot. But the gun would have to be pretty beat up in order for me to want to do that. Plus, I have fired an SKS in a Tapco stock and it just feels like a toy instead of a battle rifle.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    sell it to me dirt cheap, that'd be the norincoolest!

seriously, as mentioned before, i would leave it alone if it were mine. having said that, it's yours to do with as you see fit, so have fun.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Welcome to INGO!

Personally I'd leave it stock. But you're not me so have at it. A couple of tips. Once you spend several hundred dollars on it, you probably won't get that much out of it if you decide to sell it (unless you sell it during another scare)

There are lots parts you can add. Do your research first. Some of the parts look great but don't function the best.

Have at it and post your pics along the way. I'd love to see them.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    James-

Welcome to INGO! If you do decide to go the Tacti-cool route on your SKS, there are some options. First, remember that you have to comply with the 922r game as the rifle was imported. What that means is that if you take it out of its original configuration, you then have to replace several parts with US made parts in order to comply. There is a lot of great info on that over on Survivor's SKS Boards - Index .

Second, I had the Tapco T6 compliance kit on my SKS for a few years. It is probably the closest thing to making it feel like your M4 ergonomically. Note that the Tapco mags are actually pretty reliable for the SKS, while some of the other magazines out there suffer reliability and feeding issues.

As for a scope, you have 3 options, one of which is not going to make you happy.

1) You can get a dust cover scope mount which will look really cool, but will have problems retaining zero as the dust cover is not solidly attached to the reciever. I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding that option as you will be dissapointed.

2) There are some good drill and tap scope mount options out there, but they do require you to permanently modify the gun. This will give you the most stable mount however and the best chance of holding zero on your scope.

3) You can remove the rear sight leaf and install a scout style mount that is also very sturdy and holds zero. Keep in mind you will need a longer eye relief pistol scope or you can also mount a red-dot here.

What I realized is that the SKS is combat accurate, but not a great gun for a scope. There is just a lot of slop in the gun (for good reason) and try as I may, I could never get better groups with a scope than I could with irons. What I settled on was a set of Tech Sights that gives you a nice rear peep sight like you are familiar with on the M4 platform. With that sight the gun actually sights and shoots a lot like the M1 carbine, and it can shoot very nice groups.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Best thing I did to mine was a peep sight. You can replace the gas tube and install one with a weaver mount on it. A red dot would work here. I replaced the stock with a Vietnam era fiberglass model...it won't look any cooler but it's very light. Have fun with it...

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Tapco mags are good no feed issues a big must replace the free floating firing pin with spring loaded firing pin. REDUCES or eliminates unwanted slam fire. Murrays makes them easy to install

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you want an M4, buy an M4. If you want an AK, buy an AK. Don't destroy a great firearm like the SKS by turning it into a "bubba" gun. If that's what you want, there are many, many idiots in the classifieds right now that will sell you theirs for the low, low price of $400, with the 30 round 'clip'.

Dude, you have a great firearm. Keep it that way. Shoot it, enjoy it, keep it whole. Enjoy sitting back and watching the other idiots destroy theirs and mark up the prices.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    30476d1310077438-noob-need-help-ak-overhaul-tactical8vw.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members