• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I dont know if anybody mentioned this but these measures werent taken until after the Huntington at 21st and Post was robbed, the pregnant teller shot killing her unborn baby.

Im not defending it, I support the right to carry.

Then the bank should know the importance of not disarming victims. Their actions, in light of their experience, are even more grossly negligent.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    If you think that is bad, I got stopped in the National City at 52nd and Georgetown and because I wasn't in uniform they wanted me to leave my weapon in my marked car parked out front. Ah no. They lost a customer of 20 years

I don't think your situation is any more or less unacceptable than trapping me in the same situation.

If this happened to me, I'd probably break the glass door in order to escape immediately, followed by calling the police and filing a lawsuit.

False imprisonment was actionable before the IC even made this a criminal act.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I don't think your situation is any more or less unacceptable than trapping me in the same situation.

Umm...yes it is more unacceptable.

I mean, holy crap! He's a cop! His life is way more important than yours. He HAS to be allowed to carry in places you can't to be able to protect himself. You know we've been told that "membership has its privileges". Obviously someone at the bank didn't get the memo. :rolleyes:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Just saw this thread:

First though: I wish I banked there so I could call the teller from inside that prision that I want to close my account.

Second though: I bet they used some hefty glass, it's used to trap people with guns, but I wonder if one of those spring loaded glass breakers would still crack it. I'd like to find out. I think I COULD be justified with a good lawyer as I was being held captive unlawfully, and had to make my exit.

Third thought: when approached by guard, ignore all his Qs, and simply, but calmly demand to be let out. After the 2nd request without being let out, hold up a finger (not middle, the "wait a minute" finger) and then call 911 to report being unlawfully held captive in a glass box.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Umm...yes it is more unacceptable.

I mean, holy crap! He's a cop! His life is way more important than yours. He HAS to be allowed to carry in places you can't to be able to protect himself. You know we've been told that "membership has its privileges". Obviously someone at the bank didn't get the memo. :rolleyes:

You're joking, right?

I'm really hoping that's sarcasm, while at the same time, terrified that it may not be.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    You're joking, right?

I'm really hoping that's sarcasm, while at the same time, terrified that it may not be.

Yes that's sarcasm, hence the :rolleyes: at the end. I almost put it in INGO-standard purple but I figured the sarcasm was fairly evident.

You haven't read many of my posts if you think I was serious. ;)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    You're joking, right?

Yes that's sarcasm, hence the :rolleyes: at the end. I almost put it in INGO-standard purple but I figured the sarcasm was fairly evident.

You haven't read many of my posts if you think I was serious. ;)

:hijack:
    I can't believe you two haven't discovered eachother until now...... There was a point in time where I thought you guys were father/son or brothers or something....end :hijack:

Back on topic,

I'm currently looking for a place to escape to from the people that keep Chasing my money....... top of my list is IMCU, Huntington is a definite NO GO..... even if they do have those nifty Colts debit cards.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    It amazes me at how completely freaked people get when things like this happen. That bank obviously doesn't like guns in their branch and doesn't want them in there. Ultimately, it is THEIR call. Should they post on the door about not allowing guns so you dont walk in and get locked in the "man trap"? Yes. Should you teach them a "lesson" about gun rights because of this? No. Not worth the time or the effort. It's simple, if you don't like it, don't do business there. If it is just an inconvenience and you think it is lame, go through the drive through window....that way if someone threatens you, you can shoot them AND run them over. :D

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I can throw a couple hundred bucks in cash on the counter and ask them to put it in my checking account, then just walk out the door.
    I think I'll try that at the bank in Mars Hill. :):

bar_fight.jpg

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    It amazes me at how completely freaked people get when things like this happen. That bank obviously doesn't like guns in their branch and doesn't want them in there. Ultimately, it is THEIR call.
    I'm with you so far. Their call.
    Should they post on the door about not allowing guns so you dont walk in and get locked in the "man trap"? Yes.
    Okay, still following.
    Should you teach them a "lesson" about gun rights because of this? No. Not worth the time or the effort. It's simple, if you don't like it, don't do business there.
    I'm working to comply with your last point, but if they put this measure into place after I already have established a relationship with them, why shouldn't I inform them of the reasons they are losing my business? Why is that not worth the effort?

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Cordex, you should tell them why...and that IS worth the effort. What ISN'T worth the effort is doing things like the suggested "have someone go in every hour that is carrying". That type of thing doesn't accomplish anything other than pissing them off and making them realize that their decision to discourage carriers was a good one. I am all about people pulling their accounts and then telling them exactly why. That actually might get a point across, as opposed to just being plain annoying.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Funny how many gun owners don't think its worth or effort to stand up for the 2nd

Ya, I definitely said that....

What I actually am saying is that it is completely worthless to fight for the 2nd by hastling/annoying/abusing the people that are just there to do their job. If you want to make a real difference in how the company views gun possession, take it up with a higher up in the company. Make an appointment with a manager and complain in a face to face. You will definitely get more done that way. You may even get contact info for the person that is in charge of putting the no carry rules in place. If you think that you are "standing up for the 2nd" by being a pain in the ass...you are really just making it harder for the people that are actually going about it the right way by putting a bad stigma on the whole community.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I never understood why bank tellers arent armed. People who work at gun shops and pawn shops are usually armed, if banks are such a big target why not require bank tellers to be armed?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Ya, I definitely said that....

What I actually am saying is that it is completely worthless to fight for the 2nd by hastling/annoying/abusing the people that are just there to do their job. If you want to make a real difference in how the company views gun possession, take it up with a higher up in the company. Make an appointment with a manager and complain in a face to face. You will definitely get more done that way. You may even get contact info for the person that is in charge of putting the no carry rules in place. If you think that you are "standing up for the 2nd" by being a pain in the ass...you are really just making it harder for the people that are actually going about it the right way by putting a bad stigma on the whole community.

The point isnt to hassle them, but rather to show that they arent effecting just one person. Carrying is a fairly commonplace thing. To say "We dont want people carrying guns in here" and then to treat them like criminals is INSULTING to me. They may not care if they offend one person, but what if they are offending 100 people? What if they are offending 5% of their customer base?

I never understood why bank tellers arent armed. People who work at gun shops and pawn shops are usually armed, if banks are such a big target why not require bank tellers to be armed?

Simple. Corporations. It takes just one person to say "I dont like guns, no guns allowed" for them to not be allowed. With gun shops and pawn stores, they are normally owned and run by a smaller group of people (or one person). Less people need to agree that carrying is productive and not "dangerous" or "scary"

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Actually, a teller can not close my accounts. The Branch Manager would become involved in the process, and I would possibly have to make a trip to one the larger Hubs of the bank. SO I am pretty sure that in the course of taking my business elsewhere I would come into contact with at least 2 Branch Managers. And several Senior Officers of my Bank. Money talks. And it does not take a large amount of money from one person to do the talking. And several People taking out their Money to move to a different Institution makes a very, very loud statement...

I do not consider this to be a "pain in the ass" attitude, maybe I am wrong. I consider this the way you do business. I generally will not do business with someone that wants to abuse me or the laws. Banks and other financial institutions are here because of the investors that use them. Without investors the bank will fold. They no this, why do you think they advertise all the time for new clients...

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Banks get sick and tired of being robbed and I don't blame them for practicing extra security. They don't always know who's coming through the door. To keep from loseing good ltch customers, arming the tellers is the only way to settle any issues.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I finally received a belated, terse and unapologetic response from Huntington. Feel free to read it here:
    2010 11 29 Huntington response.pdf

The letter is dated Nov 5th but postmarked Nov 23rd.

The response merely confirmed my decision. I doubt I'll even bother to reply. I've got my new business accounts set up at IMCU and am working on paying off and transferring everything else.

Top Bottom