• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    6BR is an *excellent* choice; a 26" barrel can drive a 105/107 around 2850fps, which will beat a good number of 308 Winchester loads in drop/drift.

Yea and from what Ive been reading a few guys have even set records with the round at 1k yrds. Not that Id come even close but it says a lot about what the little round is capable of.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Curious also as to advantages and detriments of 7 Rem. Mag. Total rookie.

Advantages? Excellent ballistics, 180gr Berger Hybrids @ 2900fps+ scream. Excellent for hunting.

Detriments? Reload-only proposition for match ammo, magnum recoil, barrel life.

If you're not at 1000yd+ with regularity, its kinda overkill IMO.

That said, I'd personally take a 7RM over a 300WM.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Advantages? Excellent ballistics, 180gr Berger Hybrids @ 2900fps+ scream. Excellent for hunting.

Detriments? Reload-only proposition for match ammo, magnum recoil, barrel life.

If you're not at 1000yd+ with regularity, its kinda overkill IMO.

That said, I'd personally take a 7RM over a 300WM.
    and one more issue very very loud, i was next to one at the range before and i opted for double plugs.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    and one more issue very very loud, i was next to one at the range before and i opted for double plugs.

I don't find them to be any louder than any other rifle, unless they're braked. Then again, everything with a brake is effing loud.

And I usually get stuck between the two guys shooting braked 338 Lapuas down at Rockcastle...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well fellas Ive been thinking of taking on a new caliber for long range work. I have been shooting 308 for my long range work for a number of years now an looking to step it up. Now granted the 308 will do anything I need it to do and has done it very well but as most of us we get tired with the same thing and just want to try something different. So Im thinking of going with a Savage based rifle in 260rem any thoughts on this caliber? Or would there be another caliber Im not thinking of. I also thought about possibly doing one in 243 I know the 6mm cartridges are somewhat the gold standard for longer range shooting. This would be strictly a long range paper puncher off the bench. Well let me know what you guys think, thanks!

I love my .243. My favorite long range shooter. I seldom shoot over 1200 due to the neighbor farming. Usually around 900. The last couple of years I hear about the .243 eating barrels but I've got approx. 2,700 rds through mine and it's still a shooter. I haven't noticed any loss of accuracy with it. I will re-barrel this rifle when it's shot out.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I don't find them to be any louder than any other rifle, unless they're braked. Then again, everything with a brake is effing loud.

And I usually get stuck between the two guys shooting braked 338 Lapuas down at Rockcastle...

That's a bad deal lol. but atleast you were shooting so its a decent day at any rate :):

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I love my .243. My favorite long range shooter. I seldom shoot over 1200 due to the neighbor farming. Usually around 900. The last couple of years I hear about the .243 eating barrels but I've got approx. 2,700 rds through mine and it's still a shooter. I haven't noticed any loss of accuracy with it. I will re-barrel this rifle when it's shot out.

Great thanks for the info Harry. So what kind of grouping are you getting out of your 243 at that kind of distance? What kind of rifle do you have in 243?....Specs?....

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Great thanks for the info Harry. So what kind of grouping are you getting out of your 243 at that kind of distance? What kind of rifle do you have in 243?....Specs?....

This is my favorite hunting rifle for deer, antelope, ground hog, yotes, fox, etc. Groups aren't that critical though I can usually stay on a 14" iron at 900 if not too windy.
    It's an old Winchester 70 with laminated stock, standard pencil barrel, with an old Simmons Presidential 6.5x24x50, Bock mounts. It's lightweight, sits easily on a Harris bi-pod across the hood for piggys and yotes just fine.
    The scope is due to be replaced and I'd planned on getting a Vortex from Alan (42769Vette) here before a hunting trip but I broke my foot and didn't get to go so new optics are a spring project now.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ah I got ya. Thanks for the info Harry. I really think I may just go 243 for my bench rest project. For the ease of brass an such it just seems like it may be the way to go for me. Even though 6mmBR would be so awesome to have. It seems brass is pretty tough to come by an looks like Lee doesn't even make dies for the caliber!

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    The first rifle I ever shot was that of 243. If i ever get a new bolt action it will be in 243. I think this is an all around great round and if nothing else readily available. During the most recent ammo craze, 243 was consistently on the shelves when nothing else was. I like that.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea for a non reloader that would be a good point for sure. Ill be reloading for what ever I get to try an squeeze out the most accuracy I possibly can out of the round. As for now Im going to probably go with the 243. For the ease of component availability and dies and such it just seems the way to go plus has the ability to do what I need it do. It really seems like the perfect blend of cost efficiency and accuracy from everything Ive been reading.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have a 6.5 Grendel that I absolutely love. The nice thing is that it is becoming more and more common every day, it shoots incredibly well out of an AR platform and there is tons of info out there on it. As soon as I wear down Faxon Firearms, through constant, incessant nagging, to build one, I will have my dream gun!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea Ive looked at it for a while an thought it over. if I was gonna do one for that kind of shooting Id defiantly go with the Grendal. I just have a severe addiction for bolt action bench rifles so the ARs tend to come second, lol

Top Bottom