• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Politics aside, it seems to me that Finicum was the person most responsible for his death. He chose to be there, chose to refuse to follow LEOs instructions, chose to repeatedly tell the police that they would have to kill him, chose to drive at a high rate of speed away from the cops (he might not have made the choice to drive towards the road block as some have said that he could not have seen the road block until he was upon it).

He picked his hill to die on and I hope it was worth it. I am not happy that he was killed, but all in all, it looks like his death is primarily the result of his choices. It is not like he was in his house and the FBI shot through his door then ran over it with a tank. The whole situation at the refuge was a mess and I am glad it did not turn out any worse than it did. Yelling at the police that there will be a bloodbath and that you will not be taken alive is a good way to get shot by the police, especially when you are part of an armed militant group in a standoff against the police.

Again, I am not celebrating his killing, quite the opposite, just my two cents.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I do not see why the "Black Lives Matter" movement would care about Finicum as the notion of a black race appears to be one of their central issues and Finicum was fair skinned. Some of the supporters of the "Black Lives Matter" movement were pretty vocal in wanting violence to come upon the refuge protesters, but I write that off as simple racism and they have a right to speak their mind just like the rest of us do.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I wasn't sold on the situation until I got to finally hear the audio. Indisputable that he committed suicide by cop. I thought he was grabbing for a GSW originally, but since we have audio, that much was clearly not the case.

I feel like they could have done a better job letting the occupants in the car surrender rather than scaring the living hell out of them, making them think they were taking live fire.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I do not see why the "Black Lives Matter" movement would care about Finicum as the notion of a black race appears to be one of their central issues and Finicum was fair skinned. Some of the supporters of the "Black Lives Matter" movement were pretty vocal in wanting violence to come upon the refuge protesters, but I write that off as simple racism and they have a right to speak their mind just like the rest of us do.
    People bring them up to stir the pot.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I wonder if the two attempts to stop them being in areas with no cell signal is just a coincidence or if that whole area was such due to its remote and mountainous nature

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I dunno. An armed takeover doesn't seem all that much like "a constitutionally protected act of assembly and political dissent".

So, in order to exercise one's First Amendment rights he/she must first surrender their Second Amendment rights?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I dunno. An armed takeover doesn't seem all that much like "a constitutionally protected act of assembly and political dissent".

So what's the thing at the RNC called?

Maybe there's a minimum number of bullets that need to be fired for it to change from "assembly and dissent" to something else.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, in order to exercise one's First Amendment rights he/she must first surrender their Second Amendment rights?

No. They have a right to keep and bear arms. But is an armed takeover a protected right under the 2A? So they can take over a public facility and prevent the public from using it?

I agree with a lot of things they were protesting. I disagree with how they went about protesting. I also disagree with how the authorities set it up so that there would be an armed confrontation at the end.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    No. They have a right to keep and bear arms. But is an armed takeover a protected right under the 2A? So they can take over a public facility and prevent the public from using it?

I agree with a lot of things they were protesting. I disagree with how they went about protesting. I also disagree with how the authorities set it up so that there would be an armed confrontation at the end.

I guess I am unclear on the definition of "armed takeover".

Top Bottom