Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At sea, we could send a couple family grams.
    Limited to 50 characters.

Nothing too personal. They had to be censored and then keyed in by Radio.
    Then sent when "convenient".

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    At sea, we could send a couple family grams.
    Limited to 50 characters.

Nothing too personal. They had to be censored and then keyed in by Radio.
    Then sent when "convenient".

When my son was on PITTSBURGH (a fast attack) there was a system he could send and receive emails. They were low priority and no pics or attachments. Not the most reliable as sometimes the system crashed... But better than nothing. I think they got batched and sent/received when the boat was at PD communicating other stuff over the satellite. That was about 10 years ago.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Ah, time and technology. When I first got in, we had to do quartering when we went to the field, jumped sites, things like that. So a lot. In MOPP4 gear, trying to clear an area to set up.
    In 2003 when I went back in, everything was geared towards the wars (obviously makes sense). Well, in 2010, get to Germany and during training they asked, who knows how to do quartering, I raised my hand and looked around. Just two Platoon Sergeants and the Ops Sergeant had their hand up. Felt a little old.
    Army figured it was time to get back to the basics as the deployments were drawing down and get ready for whatever comes next.
    Oh, and back in the beginning, try to have a radio working and you were good. 2010, email didn't work and panic because they couldn't get in touch. Kinda funny remembering, especially since if you were good, you could tune in radio stations.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I love how they figure out they have to go back to the basics.
    Cause some group of idiots decide we need to "get in the new century" and eliminate some of the "old, useless" ways.
    Then, the **** hits the fan, and they need to "go back to the basics".

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    At least I NEVER had to worry about email crap back in the dark ages when I was in.

At the beginning of my career, pre-internet stone age, my first deployment (to Saudi Arabia) featured once-per-week morale calls. I signed up for a specific 5 min period, and if there was no other traffic the comm squadron operator would call my home base and the operator there would connect to whoever I wanted to talk to off-base. If he or she wasn't home, too bad. The first call I made the girl I was talking to thought there was someone else on the line because her voice was echoing back to her, and the long delay between saying something, her hearing it, and then me hearing her answer doubled the confusion. I felt like I was out in the middle of no where.

My last deployment, the one I referenced above, was in 2002. I not only had email but as Exec I was issued a cell phone that I could call home with, as long as I didn't abuse it. I lived in a tent but I did not have that "remote" feeling at all. We watched our hometown (San Antonio) flooding on the CNN feed in the dining hall.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I love how they figure out they have to go back to the basics.
    Cause some group of idiots decide we need to "get in the new century" and eliminate some of the "old, useless" ways.
    Then, the **** hits the fan, and they need to "go back to the basics".
    Some of the back to basics was good, but that was how to clear and hold land while waiting for chemical tests to come back. Not saying it was useless but there could be better tasks being done. Also, clearing an area in chemical gear in the summer at Korea or Texas is a great way to lose a lot of weight. Usually got more heat casualties and spent time learning first aid.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    45826253_10217097893977034_8240864410667581440_n.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Man, it's been quiet here for awhile.

So not a "story" per se, but on this date (08 May) in 1982 I graduated from Indiana University with a BA in Computer Science, a reserve commission as an Air Force second lieutenant, and orders to report to active duty in the fall. My dad, a retired chief master sergeant, got my silver dollar, and I was off to adventure! Well, after a summer of mowing grass at Brown County State Park, since the USAF decided to bring me on after the start of the next fiscal year. But then adventure! Off to the wild blue yonder! Which turned out to be the red dust of Oklahoma, but it turned out to be a pretty good assignment.

I still remember how RELIEVED I felt to finally have completed college with a respectable GPA, no debt/no loans (thanks Mom & Dad), no money either but hey, a worthwhile degree, a commission, and a job waiting for me. Top of the world.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alright, figure this is an appropriate thread as any.

I have an OD green hat with an OD green US flag patch on the velcro.

I'm not military. I'm not trying to pretend I've ever been military. I like the hat, and I like what it represents to me: America. US pride. That sort of thing.

I've had a non-zero number of people ask if I'm in the military. I respond kindly that I'm not. Similar to being asked if I'm a cop because I OC, I think nothing of it and don't pretend to be anything I'm not.

Two part question:

1. What are your thoughts on the wearing of such a hat?
    2. Do you think this sort of hat is special/unique and should only be worn by certain types?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I was assistant jump master on a FTX at Camp Lejune SC. We were jumping onto Catfish DZ. It is one of the most realistic stateside Drop Zones. Abandoned farm fields with 6' x 6' irrigation ditches crossing it, scrub bushes and small trees all over the place. I love it.

We did all of the pre-jump, at Pope AFB. Practice PLF's, door exits, JM brief &c. In the Jump Master brief was the point that the doors would be staggered by 1 second The port door controlled by the JM would go on the green light and the starboard (AJM's door) would go on a tap out.

We were into the "new 10 minute jump warnings" because the old 6 minute warnings that worked for 35 years were too difficult in the "all volunteer Army".

10 minutes... Outboard personnel stand up... Inboard personnel stand up... Hook up... Check static lines... Check equipment... Sound off for equipment check...

The doors went up, the JM and I checked the jump platform (C 130) and the door jamb for any rough edges that could cut or damage a static line.

The Load Master gave us the 1 minute warning and we went out the door for the Drop Zone check. When I went out the new Velcro strap on my M 1950 weapons container came lose and stood out in the breeze and tried to rip me from the plane (thank Heaven that we Paratroopers did a lot of pull-ups). It took every bit of strength I had to pull myself back inside the bird.

As soon as I got in the Jm and I gave the command to stand in the door (I love C 130's). I turned to watch the JM's door and as soon as his green light came on he gave the command GO. as his jumper cleared the door I turned and slapped my lead jumper on the butt. He just stood there. I slapped him again, nothing. I reared back and hit him as hard as i could. He didn't move.

I lost my mind. I should have grabbed him and thrown him down on the ramp and sent the next man, but...

I crouched down behind him and started to place my hands on his butt and propel him out of the plane. (This would be a serious crime that would have put me in Leavenworth for a long time) What actually happened was he jumped and lead my hands by about an inch or too and my momentum almost carried me out behind him.

The stick followed him out, but I had to stop the last couple and we had to take an anti-aircraft practice race track to drop the last of us.

Needless to say, no one landed near their assembly areas.

Some on the craft probably have a good story to tell their kids about the JM that threw a guy out of a plane.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.

I'm not military. I'm not trying to pretend I've ever been military. I like the hat, and I like what it represents to me: America. US pride. That sort of thing.

I've had a non-zero number of people ask if I'm in the military. I respond kindly that I'm not. Similar to being asked if I'm a cop because I OC, I think nothing of it and don't pretend to be anything I'm not.

Two part question:

2. Do you think this sort of hat is special/unique and should only be worn by certain types?

It is fine, done with respect and I don't believe from the description it is actually a uniform item.

Had new neighbor move in last year, young couple he looks late 30's. Saw a Marine flag, Eagle Globe and Anchor concrete lawn ornament, USMC stickers on his truck. Finally saw him in his yard couple of months ago and introduced myself. Asked if he was a Marine, he said no. His brother was and he was killed in Iraq. Totally acceptable in my book, I hugged him before I left.

Don

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Two part question:

I'd see nothing wrong, especially since you are honest that you aren't.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Two part question:

Perfectly fine. It boils down to intent.

I don't see an OD hat with a flag patch as inherently military. It might be militaristic, but it doesn't represent any specific branch. If you like the hat, wear the hat.

I don't think anyone would give you a hard time for it. What I have a problem with is seeing people wearing uniforms and uniform items that they didn't earn. My parents would sometimes wear shirts or hats with the Army logo on them. My dad still does. Nothing wrong with wearing something that shows support of the military. What crosses the line is wearing a uniform or part of a uniform that doesn't belong on you. Wearing something that says "Veteran" when you are not. Your hat is fine. Even if you put an Army flag on it, it wouldn't bother me. It isn't a uniform item, and you aren't necessarily trying to portray yourself as a Soldier. Maybe you have family that served. Maybe you just happen to like the Army.

People will see what they want to see. I've been in full police uniform, and someone asked if I was a nurse. I don't wear a stethoscope or scrubs, but he thought I was a nurse anyway. I know South Bend is rough, but even our nurses don't carry guns and wear body armor...

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    So, things appropriate for the military but not for work....
    Someone (prior military) asked to borrow a pen, and I said, sure wanna f my wife too, get your own pen. He thought it was funny, others not so much, lol

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We probably couldn't get away with that today Pete.

Never lend a pen in the Army. You will never see it again.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Two part question:

I have no personal service background, butI have 3 kids and a DIL either in or with past military service. They've given me various swag, hats, polos belt buckles etc that reflect their service or unit, which I proudly wear from time to time. I love the questions I get and always tell the questioner the background. And when thanked for my "service" I say "thank my son, daughter in law or daughter as appropriate.

Top Bottom