• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I used to be a member there not all that long ago, maybe five years? Anyway, when I joined back then you just sent a letter and your check and it was pretty easy to join. Then I got my card in the mail and the info to get in. I really liked the club, but did not have enough time so the second year I let it go.

Now with the new way things are handled I'll never rejoin, I'm not going to wait in line to maybe get a membership. I know, shut up and move on, no one will miss me etc., but still I thought I'd let my feelings as a former member known. This method is pretty bad, there have to be better options. It was all lot nicer back then.

i enjoyed a few shoots with others out there, but usually when I went I was all by myself. Cool with me, maybe ran into people there only 4-5 times and everyone was pleasant. I guess I'll just be shooting alone in the woods from now on though lol!

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Guys, we get lots of input each year on how to do this better.

As noted above, if we follow the same basic process next year we will definitely eliminate the chance of anyone parking between the turnoff at Burton Lane and our gate. Yes we posted a rule that folks were not to park it up before 6 pm New Year's eve and that was ignored. At least the road, though tight, remained passable which was our primary goal. One of our directors stayed the night to help ensure that.

Each year after our New Member signup we try to incorporate improvements for the next go around...like this year we posted the number of openings which helped keep the line shorter as folks figured out quickly that if they were 1/2 mile back, they had no chance.

We have gotten plenty of input here and via email:
    - use a wait list
    - use a lottery
    - use an auction
    - increase membership numbers

For those who have been around awhile, we HAVE significantly grown membership numbers from 125 (14 years ago) to the present 500 families (not single members, but mom/dad and any kids up to age 18 living in same house). We are NOT likely to increase numbers any time soon as our existing membership enjoys NO wait times for a shooting lane even on weekends. We are privately operated and don't "owe it" to anyone to increase our numbers. Sorry, but that is a fact of life.

As for a lottery, auction or wait list...who knows, we might try one or the other. We will announce New Member plans for 2015 on or about early Dec. 2014 on our website.

Regrets to all those who wanted in and couldn't make the cut. We can't please everyone all the time!

Roger for the Board

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hi Roger. I think the lottery or wait list ideas seem the most viable. My reasoning is that blocking off the access road would just force people to park on Burton Lane or somewhere else. That really doesn't do anything but kick the can down the road (no pun intended) so to speak. :dunno: Then, rather than an orderly line of cars (with a relatively clear access road), you wind up with a mad rush for the entrance to the access road come 6 p.m., blocking a public road. Not sure what kind of message that would send to the nearby community.

An auction would necessarily make membership available only to those that can afford to pay the most money. That doesn't seem to fit with the image that you want for the club of making shooting and family activities available to anyone. I think the membership fees are very reasonable, which is probably one of the reasons you do generate such interest each year (besides being just a great little facility). If an auction drove membership fees up to $400, $500 or more, then a lot of people that might just be great contributing members would be forced out. Just some thoughts...

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Just FWIW, the way it went down this year seems like a giant Charlie Foxtrot for absolutely no reason.

IMO, the way to do it that's simple and doesn't involve 50 people camping out, who aren't going to be able to join anyway, is as follows:
    Say on the 20-something'th how many openings there are, give people a week to send in apps with checks, pick x-number of them out of the pile that showed up in that week and send them their cards, shred the rest. If your check isn't cashed in a week, and you don't see your card in 2 weeks, you didn't make it.

Mike

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Just FWIW, the way it went down this year seems like a giant Charlie Foxtrot for absolutely no reason.

IMO, the way to do it that's simple and doesn't involve 50 people camping out, who aren't going to be able to join anyway, is as follows:
    Say on the 20-something'th how many openings there are, give people a week to send in apps with checks, pick x-number of them out of the pile that showed up in that week and send them their cards, shred the rest. If your check isn't cashed in a week, and you don't see your card in 2 weeks, you didn't make it.

Mike

A lot of work for people who don't get paid a dime. I see a big mess. What about returning all checks of people who didn't make it. How many applications and checks will you get for 20 slots, 100, 200? Your system creates a huge overhead and the potential for lost checks. Charlie Foxtrox, nope, try sucking chest wound.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    A lot of work for people who don't get paid a dime. I see a big mess. What about returning all checks of people who didn't make it. How many applications and checks will you get for 20 slots, 100, 200? Your system creates a huge overhead and the potential for lost checks. Charlie Foxtrox, nope, try sucking chest wound.

What I propose takes less time than the people who didn't get paid a dime put into this one. You don't return all the checks of people who didn't make it. That's why I said:
    "pick x-number of them out of the pile that showed up in that week and send them their cards, shred the rest. If your check isn't cashed in a week, and you don't see your card in 2 weeks, you didn't make it."

The neat thing about checks is, if you don't cash them, the people don't pay anything.

Mike

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    When I joined the club a current member had to vouch for your being a proper person.We didn't have any body doing stupid things or lines.I vote to go back to the old way and only the proper people get in and no more idiots.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I doesn't matter how it is done, there are folks that are not going to be happy about it & give the non-compensated board members grief.
    I believe the line up/campout method gives the opportunity to those who really want in. People find time to do the things that are important to them.

Another option is to go to a referral only option from existing members so they can sell their referrals to the highest bidder. Just kidding, however it would likely happen in some cases.

edit, not slamming your post, I didn't realize that used to be the process. From what I have learned the interest level has increased substantially in the past couple of years & the referral system would likely be abused by some, but would reduce the pool.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This thread kinda makes you look forward to next year's renewal thread doesn't it?
    Maybe we should make some forecasts on how many sorts of posters there will be?

Whiners? waaa
    Way to fix it-er's?
    I'm insulted, you'll never get me-er's?
    My range is SO much better than yours, in my back yard and free-er's?

:)

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    This thread kinda makes you look forward to next year's renewal thread doesn't it?

Whiners? waaa
    Way to fix it-er's?

I'd rep. ya if I belived in it ! You fogot hater-er's

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Whiners? waaa
    Way to fix it-er's?

One thing is for sure. The shooters who depend on the collective-ers will be posting in it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    WOW.
    Way cool post, while folks are sitting in the cold, money in hand. :noway:
    Might as well go ahead and call them dumb-asses?:rolleyes:

Just calling it how I see it... seems to me a lot of people would rather invest time waiting in a line in the cold & money into being part of a range where they have to drive a pretty long distance just to get there. In all reality, there are likely thousands of "private" ranges all over Indiana. Invest the time in getting to know your neighbor who has property & a range and you not only have a place to shoot but it's a nearby place and you've developed a close relationship with a like-minded individual that lives near your house...

I certainly wasn't bashing those that want to wait in the line because I can certainly understand why they do it. And I can certainly see why my post was seen as bashing them. But my take on the situation doesn't change. If you don't have land to shoot on, find somebody that does, form a relationship with them and you will gain MUCH MUCH more than just a place to shoot...

I've done so with 2 people/places. I have an open-invite to shibumiseeker's range to shoot anytime I want. Unfortunately, he lives 40 minutes from me and thats too far to work small shooting sessions into my schedule. So I patiently waited. I knew there was a large, nice, private range (complete with shooting tables, steel targets, and target boards) just a mile down the road but I couldn't just drive up and ask. So I worked through the shooting community to develop a connection. It took time for that connection to form, but now that it has, it's a good one.

I think people are forgetting that sitting in the cold, money in-hand isn't the only way to be "dedicated". I had to be dedicated to find the connection to my local private range. Just a different outlook is all... You enjoy your range, I'll enjoy mine!!!

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN

Whiners? waaa
    Way to fix it-er's?

I love this response...got a good laugh after wading thru a lot of "suggestive" emails sent to our club email address which I read and reply to every day. Hey, it's a done deal for this year and I think we have heard it all for how to improve.

Also like bwframe's signature.... DONE, DONE AND I'M ON TO THE NEXT ONE !!!!!!!!

enough for a few days...thanks guys,

Roger for the Board

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Checked my end of the month statement and the check was cashed. Always appreciative of receiving my membership a few years back. Cant wait to see the 300 yard range finished.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    It's finished now!!

Oh snap! I'll be out there with my suppressed 7mm mag soon!

Do you know if there is a path to drive down to setup targets? I have two high velocity steel targets but really dont want to have to walk all the way there and back twice to setup and then twice to bring them back.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Do you know if there is a path to drive down to setup targets? I have two high velocity steel targets but really dont want to have to walk all the way there and back twice to setup and then twice to bring them back.

I didn't get the 300 yard range announcement either. I hope this weather sorts out so I can get there soon too.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...opens-new-300-m-range-9-am-sat-11-9-13-a.html

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Yep, it's all good to go! :)

Top Bottom