• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I bought this rifle in 2008. Love the rifle. Taken about 15 deer with it. There has been a lot of talk about Marlin being junk. I ordered it and was slightly disappointed in the overall fit and finish, but after a few years deer hunting with it, I can't say anything bad about it. I looked all over for a stamp that would indicate a better rifle. A JP or JM, I think. All I could find is a stamp that just leaves me clueless. Does this mean anything to anybody?
    2014-03-02_20-49-38_361_zps56aad33b.jpg~original

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you have a good one keep it! I am hopeful Marlin will get there act together. I'd love a 1895 45-70! I bought the Henry to tide me over and I could not be happier. But I still want a good Marlin some day.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks guys!!! Not that I had plans to get rid of it, I just wanted to know. Now I do. I plan to scope it before next season. I bought a Redfield 2x7x33. I really prefer open sights and it somehow seems like blasphemy to scope a lever-action, but my eyes just aren't getting any younger.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mine doesn't need a scope, YET, but it likely will soon.

I bought mine about 6 months before Marlin discontinued them.
    I had a small problem at first with the dreaded "Marlin hitch", but that has worked itself out with time and use.

Mine has taken a half dozen or so deer, but it has to share the job with a Puma .M92 .454 Casull.

I hope SOMEDAY Indiana will allow the .30-30 for deer. If/when that happens, there's a brand new Mossberg 464 lever action sitting in the safe, just waiting it's turn.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks guys!!! Not that I had plans to get rid of it, I just wanted to know. Now I do. I plan to scope it before next season. I bought a Redfield 2x7x33. I really prefer open sights and it somehow seems like blasphemy to scope a lever-action, but my eyes just aren't getting any younger.

Have you ever tried peep sights? They are amazing for my old eyes. I could not bring my self to scope mine. I used Skinner sights on my 44mag. They are awesome. If you are near South Bend you are welcome to try mine.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Have you ever tried peep sights? They are amazing for my old eyes. I could not bring my self to scope mine. I used Skinner sights on my 44mag. They are awesome. If you are near South Bend you are welcome to try mine.

I'll agree.
    I have Lyman peep sights on my 1885 Winchester "Low-Wall". It's only a .22Lr, not a deer gun, but squirrels everywhere fear it!

Peep sights are fantastic in my opinion.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I love lever action rifles. If I stand hunted more the cowboy would be my choice also. I can stand hunt and do at times but during the firearms season I always seem to do much better still hunting. The 24 inch barreled cowboys do not handle in the woods like my 16 inch stainless limited. Going to do some 1.8 inch 35 temps this year so I can take a 336 into the woods.

I think you would be wise to look for a 39a octagon from 1973 to go with your cowboy.

The good doctor Tim Skinner sold me a skinner sight for one of my marlin 39a's and I have since ordered several from his company.
    for a marlin cowboy the black gold version would look good. Nothing wrong with scoping a lever with a low power scope. I went with a scout setup for mine as I like to carry it by the receiver. I believe Tim sold the sight company since I bought most of my sights. The buyer is a machinist and has expanded the lineup.

As to the fit and finish of marlin firearms in general quality dropped before the sale to freedom group. The best of them were made before 1985-1988 time period. Even then they were more utilitarian than say a Winchester or browning with the bluing not as deep and the finish not as flashy. Once freedom group bought them out a swear they pulled all of the seconds they had in stock and assembled the parts into guns. I have seen 1/4 inch gaps in stock fit and canted barrels big depressions in barrels where the dovetails were cut and very large bore sizes. The newer ones seem to have been a bit better but nothing outstanding. I think they have reduced the offerings and the main lever actions sellers are and always have been the lower cost versions of the 336 and the youth stocked version. The rim fire bolts never saw a big downfall. The worst personal examples were some of the SBL 1895's.

If you see a JM in a circle on the barrel it is a true marlin. Even the few that left Illion ny with the JM stamp had those barrels made in north haven ct. They may have been assembled in New York State.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Great info INGO! Mine has the 20 inch barrel. The only times I can remember shooting peep sights were on Garands and AR-15s. Just never was too fond of them. I like the open sights for quick follow up shots. Last year I reached the rifle clear behind me to the right, with my left palm on the butt of the rifle. It was only about 20 yards, but a perfect shot. 2 years ago, I shot one, but the deer nor I knew she was dead. A second shot at 50 yards, deer on a dead run, bullet hit the neck where I aimed, leading her through the woods, dropped her immediately. Makes me not want to scope it. But when the shots are a little farther, and the light not so good...well, that's when I think a scope would be a good idea. Besides, I have a Rossi Braztech M92 44 mag with open sights for those days I just don't feel like a scope.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Quote: It's a deer slayin' machine./quote. I see deer slaying machines every day on the highway. Today I saw two deer in separate sections of I-74 that looked like they were suicide bombers, they were literally exploded all over a large section of the highway and there were body parts and blood all over the place.
    I wish there were a particle way to keep critters off of the highways. Oh! And I actually saw a live coyote for a change, he was standing in a plowed field about 20 ft. from a woods.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Quote: It's a deer slayin' machine./quote. I see deer slaying machines every day on the highway. Today I saw two deer in separate sections of I-74 that looked like they were suicide bombers, they were literally exploded all over a large section of the highway and there were body parts and blood all over the place.
    I wish there were a particle way to keep critters off of the highways. Oh! And I actually saw a live coyote for a change, he was standing in a plowed field about 20 ft. from a woods.
    I saw a live coyote from my deer stand last November. At least he was alive before I shot him with my Marlin. :)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Yeah, I've never had what they call a "blood lust". I like to live and let live unless of course I'm attacked.

I prefer to call it wildlife management. Fortunately there are people out there that feel a responsibility for such things. You might educate yourself on this before you tell someone they have a "blood lust." I suppose you only eat meat that someone else has killed. To each his own.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have always had the blood lust.

Feral cats, dogs that ran the neighbors sheep, birds that like to poop on my cars, rabbits in the garden, coyotes at about any time.

I remember sitting on the local bridge by my house shooting every stick and piece of moss that floated down the creek. I had watched the movie midway and was a fighter pilot. I guess moss does not bleed but if the were battleships those sailors were toast.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have always had the blood lust.

Feral cats, dogs that ran the neighbors sheep, birds that like to poop on my cars, rabbits in the garden, coyotes at about any time.

I remember sitting on the local bridge by my house shooting every stick and piece of moss that floated down the creek. I had watched the movie midway and was a fighter pilot. I guess moss does not bleed but if the were battleships those sailors were toast.

LOL! I own some property behind my house that I have developed in such a way that keeps rabbits and attracts deer. To keep the rabbits so the Beagles have sport, and I can eat one or two per year, and give some to my mother-in-law, I must "manage" the feral cats, or I have no rabbits. I have "managed" them with a .22 pistol, .357 magnum revolver, 12 ga shot gun, 30-06 and a .223. Most have fallen to the .223. I do enjoy my job. But still, don't care to hear I have a "blood lust" by someone I don't know. Even if there is a hint of it, when it comes to predators such as feral cats that can kill up to 300 small animals in a year.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am stalking 2 feral cats at the moment. Sneaky lil sob's. I'll get them though! I hear they taste like chicken? JK

These animals are a nuisance. They tear up my private property and put my welcome animals at risk for many things.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I prefer to call it wildlife management. Fortunately there are people out there that feel a responsibility for such things. You might educate yourself on this before you tell someone they have a "blood lust." I suppose you only eat meat that someone else has killed. To each his own.

You do error greatly.
    First, I didn't say YOU had a blood lust, I said that I have never had it. That is, to kill anything without a very good reason.
    Your second error is in thinking that I care what you think.
    Now, let the hate-tread flow.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom