• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    People low balling is no worse than people asking retail for a used item, sometimes its hard not to put a LOL as a response to a WTS post

If you don't want lowballed don't advertise it, If you have to have the money then do what you need to.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    People low balling is no worse than people asking retail for a used item, sometimes its hard not to put a LOL as a response to a WTS post

If you don't want lowballed don't advertise it, If you have to have the money then do what you need to.

I agree with this. If you put something for sale, expect a lowball offer. It is your option to say NO! I don't hold it against anyone, I just shrug it off and wait for another offer or hold on to it.

I also see no reason to sell a used item for equal or more than new price. I would prefer people at least check retail online price before posting. I understand people probably bought local and may not have gotten the best deal, but you can't expect to list it at retail and not get the lowball offer.

Honestly see no reason to take offense to any offer, this is my opinion. I make offers that I think are appropriate to my budget and what I think item is worth based on new/used.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Its the nature of guns, you always negotiate. Not to mention, go to a gunshow lately and look at the INSANE pricing. $400 LCP's, $600 glocks, give me a break.

What I find the most funny is some of the prices on 22 target/recreation pistols.

Like a browning buckmark. I got my camper model a few years ago for $280.(New) I now see them for $499!!

The good news is all the upper end guns these days are lower than they have been in awhile, and people still say they can't afford them yet spend $20 less on a new glock.:laugh:

Yes pricing has become a complete joke. Especially since it's becoming more and more erratic.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What's worse than glocks are the SW J frame prices, you can go to the 1500 or just about any gun show and find the 442/642's etc for as low as 360.00 new but they are advertised here used for 400.00 all the time. When one is priced reasonably/realistically guess what, it sells quickly.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Like a browning buckmark. I got my camper model a few years ago for $280.(New) I now see them for $499!!

They recently started making them with platinum internals is all I can think because they used to be excellent value for the money.

I got the girls a Camper model each and I think I paid in the $380 range for them.

I love the Buck Mark, have about 150k rounds through various ones over the years, but they are starting to get pricey enough that I have stopped recommending them.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have bought a couple of things off the classifieds here for VERY reasonable amounts. I can't speak for others, obviously, but I never buy anything with the sole intent to resell it. *shrugs* I am buying because I want it.

On the other hand, there are also folks here who ask a higher than NIB price for their gun with 5000 rounds through it (not speaking about the OP, obviously, as I have no idea what he has up for sale at the moment). If someone offers a more "reasonable" amount, I suppose that could be considered lowballing by the person who has the item up for sale.

A bit of haggling should be expected with buying and selling. Don't get offended, just counter with a bit less than your original asking price and come back at them.

Most people do a lot of research these days, I think, and usually have a fairly good idea of what the market is.

Of course, I will also admit that there are those who will try anything to 'get one up' on some one else. And those do make the rest of us look bad.

I've asked about $120 less than new price on glocks, m&p's, etc. So asking 400-425 for used gun with 2-3 mags, I get offers around $350, I get ticked but then you gotta think....i have my gun, I can afford to keep it, all they have is a lowball offer.

Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    I don't understand why people get mad about offers. If some one makes me an offer it's a yes or a no I don't see what's the point in getting worked up about it

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't blame someone for trying to get a good deal. It's no different than a retailer trying to get his highest price for selling.

Transactions occur when both parties are mutually dissatisfied to about the same degree.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I usually list as WTS. I do put negotiable after the price and will travel but the travel gets shorter and shorter with low ball counter offers. If I have a nice piece listed at $250.00 and will drive reasonable distance do not shoot me a $125.00 offer and expect me to burn a tank of fuel to meet you somewhere.
    Then there are the trade offers. I have heard some real doozy's.
    I price my pieces fairly and usually below market. It is a hobby/passion for me and not for profit.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I have bought a couple of things off the classifieds here for VERY reasonable amounts. I can't speak for others, obviously, but I never buy anything with the sole intent to resell it. *shrugs* I am buying because I want it.

On the other hand, there are also folks here who ask a higher than NIB price for their gun with 5000 rounds through it (not speaking about the OP, obviously, as I have no idea what he has up for sale at the moment). If someone offers a more "reasonable" amount, I suppose that could be considered lowballing by the person who has the item up for sale.

A bit of haggling should be expected with buying and selling. Don't get offended, just counter with a bit less than your original asking price and come back at them.

Most people do a lot of research these days, I think, and usually have a fairly good idea of what the market is.

Of course, I will also admit that there are those who will try anything to 'get one up' on some one else. And those do make the rest of us look bad.

Yep, I've seen quite a few things that I wouldn't mind having but haven't come across a decent deal at a show. I've seen some of them in the classifieds and have seen them priced higher (used) than some local dealers, new. I've seen a few saying they need money quick and price a used gun for over local shops new prices. I just click back and move on. If they sell it at the price I wouldn't pay, good for them. If not (and especially if they need money quick), I hope they realize they might be a touch high and either be willing to entertain offers or drop the price some.

I've seen many guns at gun shows where the seller is trying to do the same thing. I've had conversations about some guns and had people tell me they NEED to sell and they knew their price was high because it was one of their favorite guns or grandpa passed it down. I've had some tell me their price was higher simply because "lots of people don't know what it is worth so, why not?". More power to those that will conduct a sale like that, not my style but other than a few minutes of inconvenience it doesn't upset me.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I think that some people that havent done their research, pay Way too much for a new gun...with the seller Gleefully telling them it's an investment and they can always get their money back ..lol So when they do decide to sell a while later they overprice it...and maybe dont even realize it...OK thats the Optimistic view....on the other hand, there are a lot of people that frequent gunshows and more and more this wonderful site...for only one reason...to make a profit....I dont consider them to be hobbists, just old fashioned traders, looking to make a buck...is that a good thing? Probably not IMHO but that the way its always been...just now they can cast their line to 1000's on the internet instead of a few at a show...and hope to hook one...anyway...just be smart, dont be offended by offers...just say no thanks and go about your business...you'll have a much less stressful life! :twocents:

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    What I find the most funny is some of the prices on 22 target/recreation pistols.

The good news is all the upper end guns these days are lower than they have been in awhile, and people still say they can't afford them yet spend $20 less on a new glock.:laugh:

Yes pricing has become a complete joke. Especially since it's becoming more and more erratic.

How could some of these dealers expect to NOT be lowballed?

I was in the market for an LC9, went to a local gunshow, found a few, not one below $450. I was looking at the gun, and began to walk off, the dealer was like "are you interested, we can make a deal". I said sure but not for $459, he said "well make me a reasonable offer". I said $350, he laughed and said his dealer pricing was higher then that.

It would be one thing if I offered $150, but I think $350 was reasonable.

I've seen several go here on INGO for $300-350 with multiple mags and ammo.

In this economy it is a buyer's market, things are only worth what people are willing to pay.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When I sell a firearm I intend to sell it to someone who will actually use it and not try to flip it. I keep my guns in very good condition. When one of my guns is in 98%+ condition, I ask the going used value. I got pretty irked one time when someone asked me for my bottom dollar price, which was more than 14% below my asking price. The nit wit then offered me 24% below my asking price. That being said, polymer framed pistols don't seem to hold much value, especially the Glocks. They hold up well, but so many are out there, they just don't demand much money on the used market.

hankhill

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    I like it when an ingo'er sends a pm to tell you his oppinion of your price, not at all being interested in the gun at all...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Times must be hard, people must be desperate. I've never had so many lowball offers on here. I'm not sure if they can't afford what they want to buy, or if they are trying to buy cheap to sell for a profit. Maybe they think EVERYONE selling on here desperately needs the money? Anything I sell/trade goes back into my "gun fund". Gun collecting/shooting/hunting, etc is not a PROFIT hobby. I don't know why so many people think they can make a buck slitting another hobbyist's throat. The concepts of "Pay it forward",etc are long gone. It's like herpes, a guy buys a used Glock and throws it up for $550. Next thing you know, everyone is trying to buy $400 Glocks and list them for $550. It's that 95% of people....
    What do consider a lowball offer?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    How dare they seek to utilize the free market that capitalism has provided us with! :tantrum:

+1^ Don't like the offer? Do a Nancy Reagan and just say NO!

I really hate to say it, but somebody needs another hobby. :rolleyes:Do you understand just how useless and how much of a waste of time it is to cry about it here when you could be doing something productive? Like cleaning the toilet, or maybe some laundry.

Anyone wearing their irony sensor? I'm on the truck and haven't found a suitable carryable hobby and I've already worked out today.

Top Bottom