• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Another huge Big Hoffa's fan here, had it for dinner this evening as a matter of fact.

It's been several years now but there used to be a bbq joint a few miles north of I65 on US31 by the outlet malls. Hickory Hills BBQ if memory serves. If they're still open they used to have killer brisket.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I know this may be blasphemy, but I never understood the appeal of rib tips. They've just been bone and gristle whenever I've had them (which admittedly has only been a couple of times because they were just nasty in my opinion). I'm guessing the same people that like rib tips probably like chicken gizzard

I take it you don't like burnt ends either?

And yes I have been known to enjoy some livers and gizzard from time to time.

Just remember the cardnal rule on meat..."Fat equals flavor."...that is one of the reasons rib tips are so good.

Also if you don't have to go wash your hands AND FACE after BBQ ....It doesn't count as BBQ.

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    Agreed with others in recommending Big Hoffas.

I havent found any other good BBQ places around besides there that I could recommend tbh. But haven't been to smokin barrel, will have to check it out.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You should also check out the Checkered Flag Tavern in Indianapolis. Lots of BBQ items on the menu and I think I’ve had all of them. The place doesn’t disappoint. The place is carry friendly (including open carry), biker friendly especially on Sundays, and the owner Stacey loves to talk guns. And the Big Pig sandwich KICKS ASS.

Last edited:

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It has been a few years since I have been, but I never had a bad experience at Big Hoffas as well.

Even though it is about an hour from Indy, I have to mention Sugar Creek BBQ in little Nashville. For the small place that it is they have some awesome ribs and BBQ sandwich lunch options.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Sorry...Big Hoffa's does not meet the qualifications of a BBQ joint.

If you don't serve rib tips you are automatically disqualified!!!
    Big Dog's in Cicero quit serving rib tips many months ago due to not having a quality source.

We like Big Dog's in Cicero. Family owned and we eat there twice a month. Went to Big Hoffa's and liked it well but too crowded for my family so tried Big Dog's and never looked back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm five minutes from Big Dog's but I don't care for their food. The people that run it are nice folks but the last time I had pulled pork from there, there is zero doubt it had been pulled at least a couple of days before it was served.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Another huge Big Hoffa's fan here, had it for dinner this evening as a matter of fact.

It's been several years now but there used to be a bbq joint a few miles north of I65 on US31 by the outlet malls. Hickory Hills BBQ if memory serves. If they're still open they used to have killer brisket.
    Yes, its still there. Under new ownership and they are opening a new place in down town Franklin. It's called Hickory Hillz BBQ now...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Second for Rusted Silo in Lizton, but it can be hard to eat in at times as it’s small and generally crowded.
    Haven't been doing any dine in restaurant eating for most of 2020 but Rusted Silo was a go to before pandemic.

Only been to Big Hoffas once but thought it was good.

Haven't been in quite some time, but Kings Ribs could be worth a look depending on what you like.

Smoked Turkey is really good at City BBQ.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I like Pit Stop, but now my go to place is Rusted Silo in Lizton. They had a fire back around Tgiving and are serving out of a food truck in the parking lot at their Lizton location.
    Pulled pork, brisket, and ribs are my favorite. The sides are absolute killer -- Ranch Beans, Cheesy Grits, Nanner Puddin -- are the best.
    I live 15 miles away and it's worth the trip every single time.
    Yeah, they have some good food. And some kind of sausage I had from them, man it was good and spicy.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Liter House in Broad Ripple was decent the one time I went there.
    Johnson's is good, at least when he was doing the food truck thing. I haven't been down to the restaurant in Bargersville yet.
    Barbque and Burbon in Speedway was good last time I was there.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah, they have some good food. And some kind of sausage I had from them, man it was good and spicy.
    I never think of sausage at a BBQ place and I don't think I've ever had it, but it's on my list for next time. THX

Top Bottom