• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It sounds dumb because meat hunters, for the most part, have never been about pushing rules limiting others or what they could kill. The premise itself is antithetical to what they are about. The same cannot be said for those of us on the trophy hunting side. Instead it's been one failed attempt after another to dictate what other hunters could shoot, when they could shoot it, and how many they could shoot. Unfortunately one of those attempts finally stuck and even more unfortunately it was one of the most ineffective ones at that. Fortunately, it was also one of the least damaging schemes though.
    This is what I`ve been saying, and got blasted for. I`ll bet money you won`t catch the same hell I did.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you don’t understand that then there is no need for a conversation!.

Enjoy your Day….
    Now who is avoiding questions, lol?

I do enjoy most days... it always helps that I can look with satisfaction on some hard earned trophies on the wall in the morning. Maybe it's just me but when I think about those hard earned trophies, I like to think about the time and effort put into hunting them and the time and effort put into improving the habitat for them, not the time and effort spent promoting restrictions on other hunters.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    To be completely fair, it was a really silly question to begin with. A much better question would have been: What has the OBR done to improve the deer population that warrants the opportunity cost?
    You pick the question then, see if he can come up with an answer other than “trophy hunters bad”. Like I’ve mentioned, I’ve never argued in favor of the OBR, I’ve never argued against it, what I don’t do is trash people who aren’t responsible for things I don’t like. The only reason I post in these threads is to point out the stupidity in one's particular argument.

He’s spoken of one incident with one piece of **** “hunter” and now that ******* represents anyone who doesn’t kill button bucks. Sorry, it’s entertainment if nothing else.

That said, I'd be interested in hearing your take on the situation, I don't have a particularly strong stance for or against but I don't claim to have all of the info either. If they removed the OBR there would likely be an occasional year where I might kill two bucks. Seems easy to argue that at only 1 antlered deer per year there would be more opportunities out there but maybe not. It's been stated that very few ever took 2 bucks per year so the OBR couldn't have made things noticeably better, how did it create fewer opportunities for hunters?

Last edited:

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    You pick the question then, see if he can come up with an answer other than “trophy hunters bad”. Like I’ve mentioned, I’ve never argued in favor of the OBR, I’ve never argued against it, what I don’t do is trash people who aren’t responsible for things I don’t like. The only reason I post in these threads is to point out the stupidity in one's particular argument.

He’s spoken of one incident with one piece of **** “hunter” and now that ******* represents anyone who doesn’t kill button bucks. Sorry, it’s entertainment if nothing else.
    Exactly…

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You pick the question then, see if he can come up with an answer other than “trophy hunters bad”. Like I’ve mentioned, I’ve never argued in favor of the OBR, I’ve never argued against it, what I don’t do is trash people who aren’t responsible for things I don’t like. The only reason I post I. These threads is to point out the stupidity in one particular argument.

To be clear, that was not intended as a shot at you in any way. I take you at your word and without a strong familiarity with the background surrounding the subject it is reasonable to ask that question. I took issue with promoting it as a great question when no one opposed to the OBR has ever stated that it was harmful to the deer herd, at least not where I have seen or heard.

I've made no secret that I consider myself a trophy hunter but not at the cost of opportunity. I'm a trophy hunter primarily for the challenge but also because I'm fascinated by antlers. What value would a trophy have if there actually was one behind every tree, when it is their very rarity that makes them special? The opportunity to pursue them as much as possible and in whatever legal manner I see fit is what I fight for.

I have just as much problem with the meat hunters that promote stricter antlerless quotas because they want a deer behind every tree as I do the trophy hunters that favor the OBR or any other restrictions because they think it greatly increases the number of trophies. I often come down on the side of the meat hunters because they have only ever pushed for reduced doe quotas while some, certainly not all, trophy hunters have pushed for any kind of restriction they think might possibly lead to more trophy bucks with seemingly little or no regard for the opportunity sacrificed for that single minded pursuit. Personally, I'd rather meat hunters shoot a doe instead of a young buck. I'd also rather trophy hunters didn't pass 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks just to shoot a 3.5 year old that is almost mature. Those are just my preferences and I, in no way insist others should follow them let alone promote rules that enforce them.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I like to think about the time and effort put into hunting them and the time and effort put into improving the habitat for them

That right there is what is lacking in this time we are in. This younger generation wants success without the work. And when you can’t be successful, then you point fingers.

We now have a special zone killing the deer next to the interstate and an extended season to do it. Why couldn’t these deer be hunted during a normal archery or firearms season?

If I took the route like someone else in this thread I would just blame the meat hunters for changing the rules to fit their hunting style. Dang Meat Hunters!!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That right there is what is lacking in this time we are in. This younger generation wants success without the work. And when you can’t be successful, then you point fingers.

We now have a special zone killing the deer next to the interstate and an extended season to do it. Why couldn’t these deer be hunted during a normal archery or firearms season?

If I took the route like someone else in this thread I would just blame the meat hunters for changing the rules to fit their hunting style. Dang Meat Hunters!!
    I'm confused, the OBR is just the kind of attempted shortcut that you are against here.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I'm confused, the OBR is just the kind of attempted shortcut that you are against here.
    A lot of sarcasm in my post except the first paragraph. I am not against the OBR but am for it. I have done nothing to make the OBR a rule in the books. Indiana made this a rule and I favor it. That’s all.

The only thing I really care about as I stated before, is that our kids have a future in hunting. I for one have seen doe numbers drop in my area over the past 15 years. Some people have a self conservation attitude and some do not.

I was agreeing with your thoughts.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I've deer hunted for over 3 decades now, and I normally hunt all 3 of the seasons. I hunt for both meat and trophy. Across the board, Indiana has much bigger and better bucks than the did before the OBR. Within 3 or 4 years of the OBR, we could see a noticeable increase in the number of big bucks. Before the OBR, a 175 lb 8 point was an impressive buck. Now we routinely take bucks over 200 lb. We routinely see smaller 8 points that we wouldn't even think of shooting, but before the OBR they would have been considered a decent buck.

I don't see much of an issue with the OBR. If you're hunting for meat, nobody said you have to wait for a big buck. You're welcome to fill that tag with any buck you please. The time I do see an issue is when you need to cull some questionable genetics from the herd, but I don't think that's really much of an issue either.

If you're not seeing deer, it's either poor habitat, hunting pressure, herd size, or the hunters ability.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've deer hunted for over 3 decades now, and I normally hunt all 3 of the seasons. I hunt for both meat and trophy. Across the board, Indiana has much bigger and better bucks than the did before the OBR. Within 3 or 4 years of the OBR, we could see a noticeable increase in the number of big bucks. Before the OBR, a 175 lb 8 point was an impressive buck. Now we routinely take bucks over 200 lb. We routinely see smaller 8 points that we wouldn't even think of shooting, but before the OBR they would have been considered a decent buck.

I don't see much of an issue with the OBR. If you're hunting for meat, nobody said you have to wait for a big buck. You're welcome to fill that tag with any buck you please. The time I do see an issue is when you need to cull some questionable genetics from the herd, but I don't think that's really much of an issue either.

If you're not seeing deer, it's either poor habitat, hunting pressure, herd size, or the hunters ability.
    I'm not sure why any meat hunter would be opposed to the OBR, especially those that only hunt firearms season, based solely on being a meat hunter. The OBR simply transferred a portion of the early archery buck harvest to firearms season, providing firearms only hunters with more targets, which they gladly took advantage of.

The ones actually hurt by the OBR were those of us that could and did kill the types of bucks we wanted to before the rule change but lost the opportunity to do so. The OBR has cost me at least four mature bucks. That's not a lot over 20 years but those are just the slam dunk, almost impossible to mess up opportunities. And for what?

Your last sentence is as equally true for big bucks as it is for deer in general.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I'm not sure why any meat hunter would be opposed to the OBR, especially those that only hunt firearms season, based solely on being a meat hunter. The OBR simply transferred a portion of the early archery buck harvest to firearms season, providing firearms only hunters with more targets, which they gladly took advantage of.

The ones actually hurt by the OBR were those of us that could and did kill the types of bucks we wanted to before the rule change but lost the opportunity to do so. The OBR has cost me at least four mature bucks. That's not a lot over 20 years but those are just the slam dunk, almost impossible to mess up opportunities. And for what?

Your last sentence is as equally true for big bucks as it is for deer in general.
    Hey gregr what do you think of this post. Lots of truth here.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    you see more antlers in the woods now than ever before. I like the 1 buck rule. I would really like to see an experimental county of say...4 points on one side or bigger only for a buck. Everyone wants a trophy. The guys who say things like...you cant eat the antlers..say it becuase they can only get a trophy by luck. Those who say that are full of crap. If a huge monster come in chasing a little doe which are you going to shoot/?? The doe is much better eating. But you would bust the monster.

Top Bottom