• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I'm a Lifetime License guy. For the majority of at least the past 10 or 15 years, I've had legal opportunity to harvest 3 antlered deer per year. I've got a bin full of trophies, but none on a wall. I've let "good" bucks pass more times than not and have averaged just one buck for every 2 years. I didn't get an antlered deer this past season. I've got a freezer full of venison until next season.

The OBR, to me, has had me passing my best deer during bow season. Meaning I just don't want to end my "buck season" this early in the season. If it were to go back to me being able to have a bow buck and a firearm buck, I think I would most likely have a buck in the freezer going into firearms season.

In my own case, the OBR has left more antlered deer roaming the woods. That is more bucks for me, as well as others, to see. Or harvest. Good on the other hunter that enjoys the bucks I passed on, in any way they choose.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    I'm a Lifetime License guy. For the majority of at least the past 10 or 15 years, I've had legal opportunity to harvest 3 antlered deer per year. I've got a bin full of trophies, but none on a wall. I've let "good" bucks pass more times than not and have averaged just one buck for every 2 years. I didn't get an antlered deer this past season. I've got a freezer full of venison until next season.

The OBR, to me, has had me passing my best deer during bow season. Meaning I just don't want to end my "buck season" this early in the season. If it were to go back to me being able to have a bow buck and a firearm buck, I think I would most likely have a buck in the freezer going into firearms season.

In my own case, the OBR has left more antlered deer roaming the woods. That is more bucks for me, as well as others, to see. Or harvest. Good on the other hunter that enjoys the bucks I passed on, in any way they choose.
    Awe…. Someone gets it

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not a deer hunter but for some reason I can't look away from this thread. I guess I don't understand the issue. The OBR has to do with quantity only, and not "quality", right? In other words, it doesn't set a minimum size for the one buck? Do the people that complain about this rule also complain about the 14" minimum size rule for largemouth bass? :scratch:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'm not a deer hunter but for some reason I can't look away from this thread. I guess I don't understand the issue. The OBR has to do with quantity only, and not "quality", right? In other words, it doesn't set a minimum size for the one buck? Do the people that complain about this rule also complain about the 14" minimum size rule for largemouth bass? :scratch:
    Not the same thing at all. Just the opposite. Suppose the trophy bass guys said, you can catch and keep any size bass you want, but only just ONE...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not the same thing at all. Just the opposite. Suppose the trophy bass guys said, you can catch and keep any size bass you want, but only just ONE...
    Still not getting it. Can you not shoot does? Does the meat taste better from bucks? As a side note, I love me some backstraps btw, so if anyone has too many, I'm you're guy! I don't even care if they came from a doe, a small buck or a big buck. Not trying to be a smartass, honestly. I just don't grasp what the issue is about.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Still not getting it. Can you not shoot does? Does the meat taste better from bucks? As a side note, I love me some backstraps btw, so if anyone has too many, I'm you're guy! I don't even care if they came from a doe, a small buck or a big buck. Not trying to be a smartass, honestly. I just don't grasp what the issue is about.
    It`s principle. In Indiana, it used to be legal to shoot a buck in archery and a buck in firearms. There were just a very small percentage of hunters who "double-dipped", so the hit on the buck population was negligent. The trophy guys got the ear of the someone on the NRC and they decided that they ought to determine for everyone else what they could shoot. That being now, only one buck, not two. There is no biological reason for the obr, it is strictly a trophy hunter thing. Now the trophy guys mistakenly think that due to the obr, Indiana has become a trophy buck mecca, but data has shown that the same number of bucks are being killed in a season, it`s just been spread out, and presumably, other hunters are killing them. But they`re NOT surviving multiple seasons and turning into monster bucks like the trophy guys like to claim. Indiana has for a long time been a top producer of P&Y/B&C bucks. The burn is that the trophy guys took something from everyone else. If you don`t get it, that`s fine, and as you said, you`re not a deer hunter. If you were, it might dig at you too, and maybe even then it wouldn`t. But for an awful lot of us, it`s still an irritant. And the trophy guys want even more. They want the seasons shortened, they want the firearms season moved out of the rut, never mind that the rut varies as much as two weeks depending on the year. They want a LOT of things done to restrict opportunities for everyone else, so that their fetish for inches of antler can be satisfied. The thing is, the deer herd is supposed to be managed using scientific reasoning to better the herd, keep it healthy, and provide the maximum opportunity for enjoyment for the maximum number of hunters. ALL of which have paid their money for a license too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It`s principle. In Indiana, it used to be legal to shoot a buck in archery and a buck in firearms. There were just a very small percentage of hunters who "double-dipped", so the hit on the buck population was negligent. The trophy guys got the ear of the someone on the NRC and they decided that they ought to determine for everyone else what they could shoot. That being now, only one buck, not two. There is no biological reason for the obr, it is strictly a trophy hunter thing. Now the trophy guys mistakenly think that due to the obr, Indiana has become a trophy buck mecca, but data has shown that the same number of bucks are being killed in a season, it`s just been spread out, and presumably, other hunters are killing them. But they`re NOT surviving multiple seasons and turning into monster bucks like the trophy guys like to claim. Indiana has for a long time been a top producer of P&Y/B&C bucks. The burn is that the trophy guys took something from everyone else. If you don`t get it, that`s fine, and as you said, you`re not a deer hunter. If you were, it might dig at you too, and maybe even then it wouldn`t. But for an awful lot of us, it`s still an irritant. And the trophy guys want even more. They want the seasons shortened, they want the firearms season moved out of the rut, never mind that the rut varies as much as two weeks depending on the year. They want a LOT of things done to restrict opportunities for everyone else, so that their fetish for inches of antler can be satisfied. The thing is, the deer herd is supposed to be managed using scientific reasoning to better the herd, keep it healthy, and provide the maximum opportunity for enjoyment for the maximum number of hunters. ALL of which have paid their money for a license too.
    So that leads me back to my question of whether a doe or a buck tastes better. Unless you're wanting a chance at two trophy bucks?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    So that leads me back to my question of whether a doe or a buck tastes better. Unless you're wanting a chance at two trophy bucks?
    Sigh. Are you intentionally not getting this? PRINCIPLE. But that`s fine. I`m done here. If you wanted to understand it, you would.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sigh. Are you intentionally not getting this? PRINCIPLE. But that`s fine. I`m done here. If you wanted to understand it, you would.
    Okay I guess. I appreciate the explanation though, truly. But no, I'm not intentionally not getting it. I come by it honest! :):

SpartanYeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2022
    Osceola, IN 46561, USA
    I like to hunt for the big boys. And I also like the venison as well. So, if the OBR went away I would be shooting that easy small buck that walks in front of me when season opens. But with the OBR I hold out for a trophy. That definitely will help keep the numbers up and provide more opportunity to those who seek any size buck. I like the rule as it is.
    I don't think I could of said it better myself. I agree with this!

I also enjoy the long season if we had a shorter season the deer would be a lot more pressured. I good harvest is essential to carry the rest of the deer population through the winter.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The OBR reduced the buck quota from one buck in archery season and another in firearms/muzzleloader to one buck total for all seasons for the sole purpose of producing more large bucks by allowing more of them to grow older and in theory larger. The problem is it didn't significantly reduce the number of bucks killed, it just shifted some of the kill from early archery season to firearms and then muzzleloader seasons. The first year the OBR saved ~600 bucks statewide based on harvest stats or one buck per every 72 square miles. Those of us that had no problem seeing/killing large bucks and enjoyed the opportunity to hunt for two per season see little benefit to justify the lost opportunity. Those that weren't able to kill the larger bucks that they wanted believe the OBR put a trophy behind every tree(and to hear some talk, possibly cured cancer ;)).

As for the minimum size limit on bass, yes, people complain about minimum size limits, rightly so in some cases. A more accurate analogy would be with possession limits not size limits.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    you see more antlers in the woods now than ever before. I like the 1 buck rule. I would really like to see an experimental county of say...4 points on one side or bigger only for a buck. Everyone wants a trophy. The guys who say things like...you cant eat the antlers..say it becuase they can only get a trophy by luck. Those who say that are full of crap. If a huge monster come in chasing a little doe which are you going to shoot/?? The doe is much better eating. But you would bust the monster.
    I'm not sure if they are still doing it or not but a few years ago Atterbury instituted antler restrictions. I believe it was 4 points and/or a spread wider than the ears in order for a buck to be legal. I'm glad I don't hunt anywhere near there and I hope it never goes beyond Atterbury!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you treat and handle the venison properly, you'll never know the difference between them. Bucks do require a bit more care but not much. It also helps if you don't leave a buck on the back of your truck all day on a warm day showing it off.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    If you treat and handle the venison properly, you'll never know the difference between them. Bucks do require a bit more care but not much. It also helps if you don't leave a buck on the back of your truck all day on a warm day showing it off.
    You are crushing the meat hunters field manual. The manual states that only the little deer are worthy of the dinner plate. You really need to shoot the fork horns and six pointers if you want good venison. Please stop trying to change their know-how!!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You are crushing the meat hunters field manual. The manual states that only the little deer are worthy of the dinner plate. You really need to shoot the fork horns and six pointers if you want good venison. Please stop trying to change their know-how!!
    I'd rather both the meat hunters and the self proclaimed trophy hunters shoot 1.5 year old fork-horns instead of bigger, nearly mature 3.5 year old bucks if they absolutely must shoot bucks. Given the number of self proclaimed trophy hunters that tout the OBR while freely stating that they would be unable to be selective without being coerced to do so, I find the meat hunters far less annoying about the whole thing. That's just me though.

Top Bottom