• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Wow, you can't get much better then the varied opinions on a Yeager related opinion. I will give the guy credit for saying what he believes regardless what others think about it. It may or may not be correct in a certain persons eyes but he puts it out there regardless. Unfortunately, I have had no personal dealings with the man or TR for a course they offer.

One thing I can say is that anybody I have talked to who has taken a class there loves it and many think the world of him. However, I also know that a contractor buddy can't stand the man and said you would be blackballed in the contractor world if you come from TR. So it seems to be a judgement call on what he is saying and your opinion may be different on each video if you can leave prior opinions of the man whether positive or negative out of it. Personally, I used to be 100% .45 but have went to the 9mm M&P over the last couple years and love it. However, IF I can get myself a deal on a Sig P220 then .45 and external hammer will be what I carry yet again. I just can't stay away from the .45 no matter how "slow" or "heavy" its said to be but the 9mm is fine by me.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    If I need input on where to buy clothes that will make me look like a huge doucher I'll consult James Yeager. Anything else he says is crappy entertainment at best, imo. Honestly I think he makes us all look bad.

Obligatory durrrrrrrr

james-yeager-photographer-down-range-shooting.jpg

M. Rockatansky

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    If I need input on where to buy clothes that will make me look like a huge doucher I'll consult James Yeager. Anything else he says is crappy entertainment at best, imo. Honestly I think he makes us all look bad.

Obligatory durrrrrrrr

james-yeager-photographer-down-range-shooting.jpg

Spot on. His attitude is embarrassing and I don't know why so many people give him a pass on those aspects just because he "speaks his mind" and doesn't care what people think. Bravo. :rolleyes:

I remember a few weeks ago some internet threats between a couple of INGO'ers that were embarrassing and quickly and rightly modded. Well, Yeager is no better with that nonsense. From his youtube comments...

• Wow yet another internet coward that won't put up or shut up.

JamesYeager in reply to iraqgunz37 22 hours ago

• Let me know when you are ready to stand still in front of someone who starts shooting you with a .40. You're a legend in your own mind.

iraqgunz37 1 day ago

• I will face you with a 9mm any day. I mean that. Don't reply back with **** talk. Tell me what day and time you want to sort this out.

JamesYeager in reply to iraqgunz37 1 day ago

This guy does not represent the gun community well at all.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The funny thing about it with Yeager is while I don't like how he discounts people's opinion that is not his and I certainly don't like his delivery, I actually agree with quite a bit of what he says. I agree about the 9mm and 45 thing also, right now I don't have any pistols that are not .22lr or 9mm, but if I was going to get something else, I would probably skip over the .40 and go straight to the .45

I also agree with him on his views on open carrying vs concealed carrying.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I'm really questioning my choices of guns now, I've always been a fan of revolvers 38/357 and 44mag have always been my calibers of choice, S&W has always been my brand of choice. I've always trusted that when I pulled the trigger on one of my S&W revolvers that it would send a bullet downrange and it has been my experience that has always been true. I also like my 1911's both 45 and 9mm, never had a problem with my S&W autos, or my Sigs, I even have a Ruger or two that I trust, I would even admit that Glock makes a fine pistol, just not for me. Maybe I'm just the luckiest SOB in the world, or I need to shoot a lot more, so I can break more guns. Does anyone know if there is a age limit for being a gunfighter? And yes I'm aware all guns can and will break.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Since i'm not in any gunfights on a regular basis I guess i'll just have to take my chances with my G23 in .40 s&w. :rolleyes:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Just to be clear, I've never met Mr. Yeager nor taken a class with Tactical Response.

However, as a regular guy "student of the gun" I do enjoy seeing what trainers are out there saying. And as an INGO Mod I enjoy bringing it here so that others may learn as well (even if that learning is "I don't agree with this guy").

The thing is if you are a student of something taking the time to receive bad instruction on a subject is sing a waste of time and effort. You could have spent the same time learning something useful. There are so many guys that do it well, it makes no sense to listen to tripe. I'll list a few Incase you were wondering, (no offense to Ingo/ Indiana trainers I just have no intereaction with you) * just to clarify I haven't taken training with those piste below, I have had discussion with them, I've had them respond to emails, or have meet them in person. I have followed them as a result of overwhelming reccomdations from close freinds I shoot with. *

Ken hackathorn, this guy has **** more bullets and taught more classes than most people can fathom, he is an old school gunfighter who has kept up with technology. He is disciplined as a shooter from growing up on revolvers and 1911 (when the standard Leo load out was 24 rounds), he is familiar with modern plastic pistols And can give you a history lesson on things like glock (he can tell you where every glock design feature originated), he has developed many challenging pistol drills that can improve your skill quickly,

Hilton yam of 10-8 performance, built a business making and selling aftermarket pistol components, and doing training. He still builds very functional 1911's, but has transitioned to the m&p due to ammo costs an tendinitis, he has produced one of the most objective "why I shot the m&p" threads I have read yet, has done some very noteworthy reporting on m&p 9mm barrel
    Design generations, and accuracy in general. This shows that note only is smith aware of issues they have had they are responsive to them. Hilton may not make inflammatory videos but he does write almost daily about pistols, he shoots competitively, and his best way to add stress to shooting is demonstrated in his range fitness videos, burpees and shooting at 25 yards? That's skill.

Larry vickers he writes constantly, films often, and trains people all the time, while he does still hold a fondness for the 1911, and the m4 he is more than competent with about any firearm. He is very quick with an ak, and recommends the glock 19 for its simplicity, he is currently evaluating the ppq, and I can't wait to see how it holds up. If you watch him shoot his process is methodical, and he wil train you to the same standard, he gets on target, evaluates target, shoots, makes sure of a hit, moves to the next target. He pushes accuracy way ahead of speed, as he is well aware of what a miss might mean.

Kyle defoor is younger, with a calm attitude, and is workin on classes with sayoc tactical to help merge the use of a gun and a knife in defensive training. Kyle Defoor: Defoor Shooting Tests < seems like a solid day at the range to me. And without jy's crap an matter of factly stated opinions.

Todd g of pistol training. Com is pretty levelheaded, his fast drill is a challenge, and instead of being a brand fanboy he grabs a pistol and runs it for a year, he has broken a glock 17 gen4, hk p30,hk45, and is currently running a springfeild custom shop 9mm 1911, in a years (he ran each pistol for a year)time he managed to put 30-60k rounds through each gun.

I could
    Go on, but why, what I have already listed as no horse hockey trainers who have already put more to paper about pistols than jy is capable of (I wonder if jy has managed to learn the entire alphabet), and a few guys that will be writing for some time, trying to read all of their thoughts and opinions, aar's of courses they taught, or reviews/design recommendations they have written would take a monstrous amount of time, and there would be more content worth reading in the first week than in all of jy career.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The thing is if you are a student of something taking the time to receive bad instruction on a subject is sing a waste of time and effort. You could have spent the same time learning something useful. There are so many guys that do it well, it makes no sense to listen to tripe. I'll list a few Incase you were wondering, (no offense to Ingo/ Indiana trainers I just have no intereactio with you)

Ken hackathorn, this guy has **** more bullets and taught more classes than most people can fathom, he is an old school gunfighter who has kept up with technology. He is disciplined as a shooter from growing up on revolvers and 1911 (when the standard Leo load out was 24 rounds), he is familiar with modern plastic pistols And can give you a history lesson on things like glock (he can tell you where every glock design feature originated), he has developed many challenging pistol drills that can improve your skill quickly,

Hilton yam of 10-8 performance, built a business making and selling aftermarket pistol components, and doing training. He still builds very functional 1911's, but has transitioned to the m&p due to ammo costs an tendinitis, he has produced one of the most objective "why I shot the m&p" threads I have read yet, has done some very noteworthy reporting on m&p 9mm barrel
    Design generations, and accuracy in general. This shows that note only is smith aware of issues they have had they are responsive to them. Hilton may not make inflammatory videos but he does write almost daily about pistols, he shoots competitively, and his best way to add stress to shooting is demonstrated in his range fitness videos, burpees and shooting at 25 yards? That's skill.

Larry vickers he writes constantly, films often, and trains people all the time, while he does still hold a fondness for the 1911, and the m4 he is more than competent with about any firearm. He is very quick with an ak, and recommends the glock 19 for its simplicity, he is currently evaluating the ppq, and I can't wait to see how it holds up. If you watch him shoot his process is methodical, and he wil train you to the same standard, he gets on target, evaluates target, shoots, makes sure of a hit, moves to the next target. He pushes accuracy way ahead of speed, as he is well aware of what a miss might mean.

Kyle defoor is younger, with a calm attitude, and is workin on classes with sayoc tactical to help merge the use of a gun and a knife in defensive training. Kyle Defoor: Defoor Shooting Tests < seems like a solid day at the range to me. And without jy's crap an matter of factly stated opinions.

Todd g of pistol training. Com is pretty levelheaded, his fast drill is a challenge, and instead of being a brand fanboy he grabs a pistol and runs it for a year, he has broken a glock 17 gen4, hk p30,hk45, and is currently running a springfeild custom shop 9mm 1911, in a years (he ran each pistol for a year)time he managed to put 30-60k rounds through each gun.

I could
    Go on, but why, what I have already listed as no horse hockey trainers who have already put more to paper about pistols than jy is capable of (I wonder if jy has managed to learn the entire alphabet), and a few guys that will be writing for some time, trying to read all of their thoughts and opinions, aar's of courses they taught, or reviews/design recommendations they have written would take a monstrous amount of time, and there would be more content worth reading in the first week than in all of jy career.

I have trained with Todd. The only other one on your list I have any interest in Is Ken Hackathorn. Probably shouldn't wait too much longer on that one.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    These videos likely aren't making him new customers, his faithful followers love to post them, trying to leverage his opinion as a justification of some silly mentality they have.

must be why his classes are always being cancelled and the AAR's of his classes are terrible....

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I could Go on, but why, what I have already listed as no horse hockey trainers who have already put more to paper about pistols than jy is capable of (I wonder if jy has managed to learn the entire alphabet), and a few guys that will be writing for some time, trying to read all of their thoughts and opinions, aar's of courses they taught, or reviews/design recommendations they have written would take a monstrous amount of time, and there would be more content worth reading in the first week than in all of jy career.

so you've taken a Tactical Response class then and are saying the quality of training isn't on the level that it should be?

You also didn't list John Farnam, who I believe JY and a few of our other local trainers are students of.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    so you've taken a Tactical Response class then and are saying the quality of training isn't on the level that it should be?

You also didn't list John Farnam, who I believe JY and a few of our other local trainers are students of.

I haven't taken his training, his videos keep me from wanting too.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom