Isn't a forward vertical grip on a pistol a NO NO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t1545jh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Kokomo
    I can see that being an easy mistake to make. Before I started stamp collecting, I probably wouldn't have known it was illegal either. I'm sure ignorance is not an excuse the ATF would accept!

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    To be clear, I am certainly not suggesting you do this, but...

"In May 1993, in response to legal action brought by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), the South Carolina District Court's finding of fact concluded that a pistol modified with the addition of vertical fore grips was still a pistol and not an any other weapon device.[1] Following this, the ATF dropped their charges and the case was not tried; as such no precedent was set."

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Illegal.

Stupid law.

Now, if he would have put an angled fore grip on it he would be fine.

Stupid right?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

DKY197

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Monroe County
    Well, obviously don't buy it, as I'm sure you had no intention of doing. The internet is not the place for legal NFA transactions.

From what I can actually find though, it's unclear, but no. In 2006 the ATF openly declared their INTERPRETATION of the law but that is not a law or a court precedent and therefore you cannot be charged with violating it. In Davis vs. U.S. (South Carolina courts) the ruling that a forward vertical pistol grip was not expressly forbidden on a pistol and that attaching one did not preclude a pistol from being classified as simply a pistol under any law.

The ATF's 2006 letter was an open one to federal firearms licensees. It maintained that their long held belief is that attaching a grip to a pistol makes it a firearm no longer designed to be fired with one hand. That is not a law. That is not even correct, considering that I'm sure most firearms manufacturers do not design their pistols with that scenario in mind. They envision a weaver stance, or a isosceles stance. Two hands.

Quite frankly, I don't believe my INTERPRETATION of the law is any less valid than the ATF's as neither party are capable of passing or determining the validity or applications of legislation. They can arrest me, but a citizen can make a felony arrest as well.

However, as I type this I am reminded that none of our firearms legislation is logical or constitutional. Additionally, it doesn't even make sense. It was a tax measure instituted by people who clearly didn't understand firearms THAT well, and is now enforced by armed tax agents who have become COMPLETELY out of control and do not understand firearms AT ALL. I just hope no one in THAT guys family gets their brains blown out over $200.

/endrant.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    DKY197,

I always find research and thought similar to yours fascinating, and I really wish it could get tried in court to see if it is valid or invalid. The ultimate problem is though, if the court does not find in our favor, that person may go to jail, and will most certainly lose their God given right to bear arms. Its a shame that the only way to truly clarify this requires such an enormous risk. Maybe someday when we have a more friendly White House we can have an Executive Order clarify.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    DKY197,

I always find research and thought similar to yours fascinating, and I really wish it could get tried in court to see if it is valid or invalid. The ultimate problem is though, if the court does not find in our favor, that person may go to jail, and will most certainly lose their God given right to bear arms. Its a shame that the only way to truly clarify this requires such an enormous risk. Maybe someday when we have a more friendly White House we can have an Executive Order clarify.

Is there any potential legal action by claiming illegal taxation on part of the ATF by registering the firearm per their standards and then claim the tax was illegitimate? I realize that seems less likely because the incentive to fight (being a pain in the ass to the ATF) is less than when you are on trial (not going to jail).

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Isnt that the way thompson/center arms did it on the contender/encore to fight "once a pistol always a pistol"

BTW THEY WON !!!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom