is there any way to check if a LEO is really on duty even though he is not in uniform

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    the whole us vs them mindset isnt from the citizens its from the cops. i still remember when the stuff we see on a day to day basis now would have been grounds for several felony charges on the cop years ago. i know several retired and ex cops that are just as shocked as i am in the behaviour we see from cops now. theres probably even a few here on ingo. the vast majority are still good people doing a tough job and get it right but the numbers are rising rapidly of the ones who see everyone thats not a cop as a scumbag and treat them as such.

Your glasses that you wear have a weird tint to them.

Maybe some day you will tell us the rest of your story.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    When I worked as a Special Deputy for the Marion County Sheriff's Office, I was officially a "non-merit police officer" with 24 hour police powers statewide as opposed to a "Commercial" (don't know if that's an official designation) Special Deputy whose police powers began and ended with his duty hours.

Don't know if that's true elsewhere, but I checked it out _most_ carefully at the time (1999-2005)

The Sheriff can designate the hours and location of duty for all Special Deputies, so it's entirely possible and reasonable that you had statewide 24/7 police powers. Most Special Deputies don't.

I believe that now a lot of the deputies in MCSD are Special Deputies as opposed to sworn officers. Maybe someone can confirm?

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    After watching the OP video I can say one thing,those two guys were some smart mouth punks. And if dispatched on a run/complaint on the two,they would need to provide some ID as it would be an investigation IMO. I can't stand people like those dip sticks. Idiots I say.

Well, obviously your a LEO. And obviously you think your better than us low life "idiot" citizens.

See what were up against? I don't have to make any accusations, his own words say it all. But I guess I'm just a "smart mouth punk"

I'm certain that you have in the past violated peoples rights in the course of your job. Hopefully the next time someone gets it on video.

You have entirety the wrong attitude for the job. Maybe something in the janitorial field would better fit your abilities.....

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Well, obviously your a LEO. And obviously you think your better than us low life "idiot" citizens.

See what were up against? I don't have to make any accusations, his own words say it all. But I guess I'm just a "smart mouth punk"

I'm certain that you have in the past violated peoples rights in the course of your job. Hopefully the next time someone gets it on video.

You have entirety the wrong attitude for the job. Maybe something in the janitorial field would better fit your abilities.....

Well if your a self proclaimed low life idiot, I'm better than you too.

You really need to work on your self image.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house

I agree with you.
    However, 5o% of the members here will not :dunno:
    Good luck

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    That is the case for certain, except on felony stops.

My reading of the statute is that police may not make traffic stops for vehicle violations while in an unmarked unit and plain clothes. That does not mean they cannot stop you for any other criminal act, even if not felonious.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Alright, no offense taken. Not sure about the self image stuff, never gave it much thought.

Now lets say it's the world according to IndyMonkey. And these 2, how was it put by your LEO friend? "smart mouthed punk idiots" come through your jurisdiction. How would you handle the situation?

Just curious.....

BTW, I've watched the video a couple of times and still don't see the "smart mouth" from them. Just a lot of "yes sir, no sir"

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    If they were stopped in TX and I were dispatched, it would be failure to ID and/or disregarding a lawful order (to turn off camera). However it shouldn't really be a problem for the officers as they should have their own camera's on and body mic. Which, if it were ever to go to court, is viewable by the public under freedom of information act. Again, all in the articulation.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Alright, no offense taken. Not sure about the self image stuff, never gave it much thought.

Now lets say it's the world according to IndyMonkey. And these 2, how was it put by your LEO friend? "smart mouthed punk idiots" come through your jurisdiction. How would you handle the situation?

Just curious.....

BTW, I've watched the video a couple of times and still don't see the "smart mouth" from them. Just a lot of "yes sir, no sir"

I dont know how old you are, but you should be able to tell that they video was edited.

Its obvious that they were not just walking at a steady pace trying to get to Washington, they were stirring poop on the way wanting confrontations.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    If they were stopped in TX and I were dispatched, it would be failure to ID and/or disregarding a lawful order (to turn off camera). However it shouldn't really be a problem for the officers as they should have their own camera's on and body mic. Which, if it were ever to go to court, is viewable by the public under freedom of information act. Again, all in the articulation.

I thought I understood the law in Indiana. Maybe not. But how is it a "lawful order" to tell someone they cannot use a video camera?

Maybe you meant to say "unlawful order". That would make more sense. You do not need permission to audio or video a LEO or anyone else in Indiana.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I dont know how old you are, but you should be able to tell that they video was edited.

Its obvious that they were not just walking at a steady pace trying to get to Washington, they were stirring poop on the way wanting confrontations.

Isn't that what DEMONSTRATORS or PROTESTORS tend to do? Draw attention to themselves? If they were walking along and not holding signs, and ignoring everyone, would anybody notice them OR their message? I highly doubt it. What would be the point of that?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    After watching the OP video I can say one thing,those two guys were some smart mouth punks. And if dispatched on a run/complaint on the two,they would need to provide some ID as it would be an investigation IMO. I can't stand people like those dip sticks. Idiots I say.

An investigation of what, exactly? Walking down the street?

I didn't see any rudeness on those kids' part, just a lot of refusal to do what some cops, without good legal reason, ordered them to do, like turn off their camera. I guess to some (especially some cops) that makes them smart-mouthed idiots.

We're all smart-mouthed idiots if we don't play along, huh? We're punks if we assert our rights? Is that it? Am I a smart-mouthed idiot when I say "I don't ever answer questions without my attorney present?"

Last edited:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Isn't that what DEMONSTRATORS or PROTESTORS tend to do? Draw attention to themselves? If they were walking along and not holding signs, and ignoring everyone, would anybody notice them OR their message? I highly doubt it. What would be the point of that?

Exactly!:yesway:

And if they edited it to make all LEO's look bad, why did they end it on the last LEO that actually did his job right?!

They didn't have to do much editing to make most of those LEO's look like jack booted thugs. They showed thier a**es all on thier own.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    we dont know what these guys were doing. You guys are ASSuming that they were not doing anything to disturb the peace. Its a video that they put out that makes them look favorable.

Top Bottom