is there any way to check if a LEO is really on duty even though he is not in uniform

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Yup it's 24/7.
    An Officer out of uniform and not in a marked car can observe, and swear upon his oath, to a witnessed traffic violation but he/she may not stop the violator.
    Mike

True but only for TRAFFIC violation. And as a former reserve officer I have never heard of an agency that limits reserve officers off duty powers. Maybe Marion county does but it is uncommon. The majority of Indiana officers are just that,LEO's. 24/7

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    True but only for TRAFFIC violation. And as a former reserve officer I have never heard of an agency that limits reserve officers off duty powers. Maybe Marion county does but it is uncommon. The majority of Indiana officers are just that,LEO's. 24/7
    Yup.
    That's what this discussion is about.
    I stated the procedure for filing on a traffic violation when not in uniform or in a marked unit. Non traffic arrests can be made anytime. :)
    Mike

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Here you go:

IC 9-30-2-2
    Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.18.

Now, in Maynard v. State (I think), it was held that if no contact between the officer and the defendant occurrs, that doesn't apply. For example, an officer views someone driving, and he knows for a fact that person's driving privileges were revoked. He can draft an information, probable cause affidavit, and a traffic ticket, and drop them off at the prosecutor's office for further action. In this type of situation, he wouldn't be performing a traffic stop.

Look what two minutes on Google reveals. Google is your friend.

This is great! Thank you so much.

This is a really great law, I think.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    These two idiots were clearly out to cause trouble. I'm sure that will find some resistance on this board but whatever. It's easy to recognize that kind of instigation. I'm curious what these two fellers do for funds. Why aren't they working?

However I do have a hard time finding the balance between these two very interesting concepts:

1. Some cops are on a power trip and will be a jerk just because they can.
    2. People should show Police officers more respect and quit screwing with them.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    People do not owe any respect to police officers. They are public servants and they work for us. They do, however, deserve our contempt when they violate our constitutional rights, using force and intimidation for no reason. A suspicionless stop and detention is ILLEGAL. It doesn't matter if it's done by a police officer--it's still a violation of the law.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    People do not owe any respect to police officers.

People who believe this should expect the same in return and stop getting their panties in a wad when it happens.

As an adult, in this country, you should show respect to anyone until they give you reason not to.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    These two idiots were clearly out to cause trouble. I'm sure that will find some resistance on this board but whatever. It's easy to recognize that kind of instigation. I'm curious what these two fellers do for funds. Why aren't they working?

However I do have a hard time finding the balance between these two very interesting concepts:

1. Some cops are on a power trip and will be a jerk just because they can.
    2. People should show Police officers more respect and quit screwing with them.
    did i miss something? all i seen was 2 guys walking down the road how is that looking to instigate the cops? unless we are already at the point where you have to show your papers to the jbts for doing nothing. if we are i didnt get the email somebody clue me in.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    People who believe this should expect the same in return and stop getting their panties in a wad when it happens.

As an adult, in this country, you should show respect to anyone until they give you reason not to.

:D but...but....ah, never mind.:D

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    did i miss something? all i seen was 2 guys walking down the road how is that looking to instigate the cops? unless we are already at the point where you have to show your papers to the jbts for doing nothing. if we are i didnt get the email somebody clue me in.

I never said instigate cops, just out instigating in general. I'm sure they could claim it to be innocent, but come on, its very obvious what they are trying to do.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

We might still be subjects of the King if the Framers believed in this.

Fortunately they had enough brains to be presumptively skeptical of any government agent's behavior, even though they could be executed for it.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I never said instigate cops, just out instigating in general. I'm sure they could claim it to be innocent, but come on, its very obvious what they are trying to do.

Utilize their God-given and constitutionally-protected right to political expression, while exercising their right to travel?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    128946131327828091.jpg

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    im still missing something here i did see at the end of the video where the guy was in the orange jumpsuit and the effingham cop showed up and had a great attitude and handled the situation correctly. but the rest of it all i saw was 2 guys walking down the road and cops stopping them and demanding thier papers and insisting they turn off that handheld lie detector. :dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nope. That's what you saw, or at least what they decided to show on their edited video.

Of course it is quite simply not possible that they were doing anything other than walking down the street, to draw the attention of LE. I'm sure they had no plans of editing their video and putting it on the interweb until the were repeatedly stopped by LE for doing absolutely nothing other than walking while holding a sign.

Top Bottom