• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    5:45 am weigh-in: 223.8 :rockwoot:
    I finally dropped after being 226-228 for the last 9 days.

I haven't been below 224 since the beginning of last January, except for fasting 36 hours at the beginning of every month.

The last 2 days I've been really strict.
    Yesterday:
    900 calories
    91 carbs
    36 fats
    41 proteins
    Monday: 1400 cal.
    Sunday: 2100 cal.
    Before that 1500 cal. for a few days with a 2000 cal day in the mix.

My wife made the best chicken & bok choy soup and even put a few potatoes in it: heavenly!
    How does a person have only 1 bowl of soup?
    I had 2 bowls and would have had another, but I wanted to behave myself since I wanted to see some results.
    The day before that I only had 700 calories.

The next battle will be to stay under 225: probably take 7-10 days, but if I stay under 225 and start to kiss 220, the magic 219 will be waiting.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Nice work! I broke down and ate when I got home last night. Didn’t eat much yesterday for meals so it was bound to happen

going to rededicate starting tomorrow. Lunch today wasn’t good. Still at low weight for me for two years.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Brothers - this isn't about some kind of "system" that you go or go through. It's about a lifestyle change - a change that can be made permanent.

We're simply consuming too many calories. Every single one of us, as Americans, are guilty of this.

I'm working on cutting out the total amount of calories that I consume. This is in the form of no breakfast - and not eating until about 12:00-12:30pm. Even with some water to fill up on - the hunger pangs can be quieted (Though they're full-on this morning!).

Mind over matter.

I slack off on the weekends - work-week is generally where I fast intermittantly as it's easier to do when I'm at work vs. being at home.

Counting stuff can be discouraging. Also - counting is notoriously inaccurate. Serving sizes have to be SPOT on for calorie counting to work.

Let us work on cutting out as many carbs as possible for the vast majority of our eating. Seriously. This will be the single biggest beneficial change in dropping weight.

We can do this, men.

Also as an update, my A1c dropped 1.0 point in 6 months. And for 5 of those I wasn't even all that bucked down.

We can do this.
    I'm 61 yrs old, 5' 10 when I stand straight. Weigh 150 lbs. Genetics are a huge factor. I simply can not put weight on to save my ass. My father wore the same size jeans when he died at 80, as he did in high school. And he was all muscle, for most of his life.

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    YES! I've done intermittent fasting for a while and for me I feel better eating my first meal and lunch (around 12pm) and my last meal (dinner) no later than 6-7pm. I've also done a few prolonged fasts (longest was 72 hours) as your body goes into autophagy which can be healthy. I'm no doctor, but I recommend checking out the Snake Diet channel on YouTube. Very informational and it has helped me lose over 30lbs while still feeling good (if not better).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    YES! I've done intermittent fasting for a while and for me I feel better eating my first meal and lunch (around 12pm) and my last meal (dinner) no later than 6-7pm. I've also done a few prolonged fasts (longest was 72 hours) as your body goes into autophagy which can be healthy. I'm no doctor, but I recommend checking out the Snake Diet channel on YouTube. Very informational and it has helped me lose over 30lbs while still feeling good (if not better).

30 yrs. ago I read a book called "Are You Confused" that made many points about nutrition (garlic being great for your heart) that have hit the mainstream.
    What I really remember was his belief that fasting was a real health tool that really cleansed and healed the body.
    He suggested fasting 1 day per week from supper to breakfast after skipping a whole day of eating (36-40 hours depending when you eat your breakfast).
    He suggested other longer fasts at times (not remember details), but I think once per year a week long fast.
    When younger I did the once per week for months.
    As I got older I did 24 hour fasts (supper to supper).
    For the past couple of years I do a daily fast on the 1st of the month (36-40 hours).
    This carb-cycling is really easy since you can eat a Kosher pickle or drink some broth, veggies, and since you have low, medium & high carb days, you can eat "well."
    I used to do 7 - 14 day diets (in my 30s) where I allowed myself any liquid (even a milk shake!), no solid food.
    Funny, but it would work over all. V8 juice was my friend.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I love IF. For the last 3 or so years, I've been walking around 230-235lbs. Down from a high of 255, 4 years ago. I competed in Las Vegas at Master Worlds (Jiu Jitsu) at Ultra Heavy (222lbs and above with a gi on) and I was the shortest, lightest guy in my division of 15 competitors. At 6'2" and 235lbs, that's an unusual feeling for me. Sooooo, I'm moving to the lower weight class. This is a good excuse to lose some unneeded fat anyway. My favorite way to lose weight is IF combined with a cleaned up diet. I'm not doing Keto or anything like that (not that there's anything wrong with it), I just cut out my sweets, snacks, and excess breads. I have a terrible sweet tooth and I love to snack, so those are my focus. I've found that IF is really a battle of will, retraining my mind. Just because my stomach is empty, doesn't mean it needs filled. I have been IF everyday for the last couple of weeks, eating only once a day (dinner). So, essentially IF for 24 hrs and not going hog wild when I do eat. So far I'm down to 220ish (219-221 depending on time of day) with about 3-4lbs to go. I have no immediate time frame as I am just working slowly to lose the weight, I want to keep it off. I haven't been this light in 15 years and in reality, will be as light as my frame will allow based on muscle mass. I just LOVE how I feel while IF'ing. Taking control of your eating is always a good thing.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This can be difficult, men.

Trials and errors. Giving in to the snack temptation. Not doing it enough days in a row.

It's OK if you fail. It's OK if you give in. You/we need to work up our willpower.

Lest anyone think I'm any kind of IF Savant or anything - I struggle with this every week. Since I don't like my coffee black - how much cream (And artificial sweetener) can I add to it before it doesn't count any more? I generally carry on as if the coffee / cream is calorie-less. But I KNOW that it helps sustain me until lunch.

Personally, I think going full-on Keto is ridiculous. But that's me and I don't care what anyone else does. But seriously. In general, we all eat too many carbs. Takes willpower to not buy and eat that double stack fudge round at the Speedway.

Small steps. Baby steps. It's all forward progress.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love IF. For the last 3 or so years, I've been walking around 230-235lbs. Down from a high of 255, 4 years ago. I competed in Las Vegas at Master Worlds (Jiu Jitsu) at Ultra Heavy (222lbs and above with a gi on) and I was the shortest, lightest guy in my division of 15 competitors. At 6'2" and 235lbs, that's an unusual feeling for me. Sooooo, I'm moving to the lower weight class. This is a good excuse to lose some unneeded fat anyway. My favorite way to lose weight is IF combined with a cleaned up diet. I'm not doing Keto or anything like that (not that there's anything wrong with it), I just cut out my sweets, snacks, and excess breads. I have a terrible sweet tooth and I love to snack, so those are my focus. I've found that IF is really a battle of will, retraining my mind. Just because my stomach is empty, doesn't mean it needs filled. I have been IF everyday for the last couple of weeks, eating only once a day (dinner). So, essentially IF for 24 hrs and not going hog wild when I do eat. So far I'm down to 220ish (219-221 depending on time of day) with about 3-4lbs to go. I have to immediate time frame as I am just working slowly to lose the weight, I want to keep it off. I haven't been this light in 15 years and in reality, will be as light as my frame will allow based on muscle mass. I just LOVE how I feel while IF'ing. Taking control of your eating is always a good thing.

Reading your "story" was very encouraging and I really identified with it.
    I remember when I was in the "cleaning up stage" (when north of 250), and I learned about carbs.
    I gave up drinking 2-3 glasses of milk with my meal (drink only water with a meal), and not eating 4-6 slices of bread (100% whole wheat, of course :)).
    I never got into candy, cakes, cookies on a regular basis, and gave up sugar sodas early on (not even drink "diet" kind now, since learning most sweetners are "poisonous"/dangerous (imo), with some even being illegal in some countries.

After hitting a 223.8 low yesterday, I knew this am would be 2#s higher but I was "only" 225, & I was very pleased (yesterday was a "high" carb day).
    The next 2 days are low days, so I hope to get under 225 and be able to stay there (-225 my new goal for the next week, since last week I "mastered" the -230 goal (after 2 days), but the 225 will take longer than 230 to stay under.
    The journey down to the next goal of breaking 220 will be the real work, but I haven't done that for decades, except after some fasting days temporarily for a minute. :lmfao:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Reading your "story" was very encouraging and I really identified with it.
    I remember when I was in the "cleaning up stage" (when north of 250), and I learned about carbs.
    I gave up drinking 2-3 glasses of milk with my meal (drink only water with a meal), and not eating 4-6 slices of bread (100% whole wheat, of course :)).
    I never got into candy, cakes, cookies on a regular basis, and gave up sugar sodas early on (not even drink "diet" kind now, since learning most sweetners are "poisonous"/dangerous (imo), with some even being illegal in some countries.

After hitting a 223.8 low yesterday, I knew this am would be 2#s higher but I was "only" 225, & I was very pleased (yesterday was a "high" carb day).
    The next 2 days are low days, so I hope to get under 225 and be able to stay there (-225 my new goal for the next week, since last week I "mastered" the -230 goal (after 2 days), but the 225 will take longer than 230 to stay under.
    The journey down to the next goal of breaking 220 will be the real work, but I haven't done that for decades, except after some fasting days temporarily for a minute. :lmfao:
    Fantastic job sir!!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like bragging right to me, correct or not.

Last night I order what is supposed to be "most accurate" scales ($20 with shipping), but I got only the kind that gives weight, didn't care about all the electronic stuff.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So I’m 29-hours in to a 40-hr fast. Feeling fine. I’m at work and it’s slow so not much to distract me. Planning to eat around 9:30a but depends on how much sleep I get.

considering making it a full 48hr fast and ending it with a brisket on the smoker but not sure it’ll be thawed in time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So I’m 29-hours in to a 40-hr fast. Feeling fine. I’m at work and it’s slow so not much to distract me. Planning to eat around 9:30a but depends on how much sleep I get.
    considering making it a full 48hr fast and ending it with a brisket on the smoker but not sure it’ll be thawed in time.

I feel for you! The hours from after 6 pm till bedtime can be torture, and not being able to sleep a real "gnawing" issue (pun intended :laugh:).
    I've done the 40 hour before, but usually broke my fast before since class started before then, so I'd be around 38-39 hours since I was just doing 1 full day anyway (more of a 36 hr).
    I'm headed into a 36 hr. fast that I do at the first of each month.

Since the 1st falls on Friday and I have a dinner to go to, I'll do the fast on Thursday rather than Saturday (get it over with sooner than later).
    My carb-cycling has not translated into any spectacular weight loss: about 2#s per week so far (on third week now).
    I got stuck on 228 for 4 days & now 225 for 6 days: good grief.
    I would like to wake up tomorrow at 224, but, at least after the fast I know I will, if even for a day.
    My 1st two goals have been met: getting under 230, then staying under 230.
    Next goal: getting under 225 (been there 1 day for a few minutes :laugh: so doesn't really count, is the next goal.
    After that: staying under 225.
    That will take more days than I'd planned.
    Then the real battle begins that I was fighting 1.5 yrs. ago before I "blinked," which is getting under 220.
    It will be the first time in decades, so I'm excited about the possibility.
    Glucose levels have remained lower: a side benefit more important than the pounds to the Doc.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yea! Finally! A 2# drop after being frozen 5 days.
    222.8 (1st time under 224 in over a 1.5 yrs.)

But, my brand new scales has me at 223.9, so it takes some of the fun out of it.
    I want to believe my old scales are more accurate, but I won't know until I can come straight home from the Dr. office scales to see the reading (Dr. office scales I have found to be 1.5#s different between 2 in their office!
    So, like everything else in life: What is Truth?
    After I break 220 it won't matter as much, b/c it will all be new territory, but every 1/2# really matters now!
    I intend to switch over to the new scales, but I have to give up anywhere from .5 to 1.5 #s to do so.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    nice job! Hard work, tracking has led to progress. Go figure!

I ended up with a 38hr fast, decided I was hungry when I got home. After my nap I got up around 11am and was down 5.2lb from when I went to work at 6:15 yesterday. And that’s with a bit of a piggish breakfast. I’m now down 18# since I started in September. About six weeks or so. Frankly I’m shocked it’s happened this quickly. Still doing lifting and peloton exercise also

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    nice job! Hard work, tracking has led to progress. Go figure!
    I ended up with a 38hr fast, decided I was hungry when I got home. After my nap I got up around 11am and was down 5.2lb from when I went to work at 6:15 yesterday. And that’s with a bit of a piggish breakfast. I’m now down 18# since I started in September. About six weeks or so. Frankly I’m shocked it’s happened this quickly. Still doing lifting and peloton exercise also

What? You weighed yourself after eating breakfast instead of before??!!!! Outlandish!!! Absurd!!! :laugh:
    I would have wanted to see the other pound or two just for the rush!
    I do envy your 5.2# loss, even if half of it is water; it is fun to see.
    I would go down 3-5 #s after a 36ish hr. fast, but I don't expect that after tomorrow's fast since I'm already eating leaner and have come down 7#s from 2.5 weeks ago to today's low (which will bump up like it does when I hit that wonderful "HIGH" carb day anyway, but I hope to just stay under 225 from now on: my 3rd goal).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did a fast all day yesterday: will be 36 hrs. at 6 am & I don't intend to eat until I get back from a 6 am Men's Bible Study, so it will a little under 38 hrs.
    It has never been this bad before. :dunno:
    I was fine during the day and didn't really feel hunger until 4 pm, but I allowed myself coffee or tea, and that kept me from pain, just a "hollowness."
    The problem came when I went to bed around 11:30pm: I couldn't get to sleep b/c by that time I was really hungry.
    I got up around 2am & played on the computer, then went back to bed around 3:30, but still couldn't sleep and got up around 4am and took a hot bath.
    Never happened before that I couldn't sleep.
    I suspect that my carb-cycling has caused me not to have the "reserves" to weather this fast (which I do at the beginning of the every month).
    And, adding insult to injury, instead of dropping 4-5#s after fasting for a full day, I was only down 1.5# in weight (223), but it was a new low.
    I can see it is going to be tough to stay under 225 since I didn't drop down the usual 3-5#s after a fast.
    If I smell food, I'll put a couple of pounds back on. :laugh:
    And the carb-cycling continues.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good work guys. I'm down 119# since last Thanksgiving. I really haven't tried IF but I have reduced sugars and lots of carbs. Like most others, I'm a snacker, a big eater, and I love sweets. I've pretty much been able to walk away from the sweet stuff which has been far easier than I thought it would be. I've reduced breads, pastas, etc. and I'm trying to average <1500 cals per day. So far, I'm averaging 10#/month and I'm at a weight now that I haven't seen since before my kids were born (so, we're talking about over 2 decades now).

Getting started is the hard part. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom