• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    littletommy, your story is believable based on the numbers. THe daily average caloric deficit over 170 days to lose 76 #'s is ~1500. I don't know your current or base rate but lets assume with the extra 76#'s it was around 3000 calories to maintain your weight, that means cutting your intake to ~50%. That's doable especially with a high protein/low fat diet. Add to that, say, 750 calories burned through exercise. I can totally see it.

To my mind, the biggest issue you faced was maintaining that life-style change for half a year! My hat's of to you! That shows incredible dedication and focus. I'm not sure I can do it.

My story is 68 days of logging in and personal accountability. My weight loss over that period has been 17 #s. That's just under 60,000 calories or a average daily deficit of 875 calories. That's got me losing at ~1.5 to 2 #s/week actual. My overall goal is 75#'s and I was targeting doing that at ~1 #/week. So I am ahead of that. I still haven't achieved my first goal of 20 #s (target was a very aggressive Memorial day!) but I'm approaching it. Once I achieve that goal, I will set my next interim goal based on my data from this one.

I dont' recall exactly as I write how I set my overall goal, but it had a "lean body mass" component to it. Assuming that I would maintain the current estimate of my lean body mass, I set a % target for fat loss.

Thank you for the kind words! It has been a tough road, but I'm glad I did it. Funny thing is, now that I'm adjusted to living this way, I can't imagine how I did it any other way. I actually enjoy running and doing push-ups, so that helps:): I will add, for those using Myfitnesspal, if you keep it honest, and log everything, and keep your exercise input honest, the numbers it gives you at the end of each day are pretty much dead on the money, I'm talking about after you complete your entry for the day, the weight it shows you will be in 5 weeks, it's been right on since I started.

I always try to keep my entries as close as I can estimate them on food intake, and if I'm not sure of something, I will err on the side of caution and go with higher numbers. On entering exercise, If I work out for 120 minutes, I'll usually cheat that number down to 100 minutes, which gives me a little buffer zone for errors I may have made entering food, (it's an OCD thing with me). All in all, I've found that app to be a huge help in all of this.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've dropped 76 lbs in 170 days, give or take a week, but I went from eating huge amounts of food and numerous daily beers down to eating NOTHING but high protein low fat foods, and NO beer for the first 90 days. Add into that, at least an hour and a half, more often 2-3 hours per day of cardio or strength training since the beginning of the year.

My hat is off to anyone who gets much more drastic than that, I wouldn't want to do it again.:):

I calculate around 1650 calories a day less than your maintenance weight for what you accomplished but then I don't know what weight you started at. Usually at the beginning of your diet you lose the most weight at one time which is mostly water weight.

It is usually suggested not to lose more than 2 lbs a week compared to your 3.3 a week but it is doable. The suggestion is for health safety reasons.

One older man was told by his doctor to go on a 1000 calorie a day diet. He was overweight and eventually passed away for various medical reasons. For me, the 1000 a day calorie deficit works until I get down to a certain weight then I just can't function well and drop to 500 calorie deficit a day which is about 1 lb a week.

Excercise actually increases the amount you can consume a day if you stick to the 2lb a week but if you did not track carefully, you would be over compensating making your weight loss possible.

76 lb is a large drop and good for you.

The good thing is you know how to do it but let me give you a warning. When you pass 50, the old formula does not work. Your resting metabolic rate decreases and it gets harder to hit the same targets. Weight training helps with that as it raises your resting metabolic rate but as I have learned, you can't weight train like you did when you were young or you injure easier.

Getting older sucks.

The best thing to do is not gain it back in the first place.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    A lot of my weight and health issues were beer related. I did what I did under supervision of a great doctor who was very willing to help at all times. I actually scheduled an appointment before I got started, because I knew it would be a stressful situation. I think that is the best thing I could have done, as she motivated me to go all in. I still drink a beer or have a glass of bourbon on occasion, and in the last month, I've been eating anything I want, but I'm used to running and strength training now to offset my intake. This week is the first time in months that I stayed the same weight from Friday to Friday (my weigh in day) 200 lbs on the dot. (I'm 6'4")

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    A lot of my weight and health issues were beer related.

This.

A lot of my health and weight issues were bourbon and vodka related. Once I quit drinking (except for the occasional glass of wine with dinner) and started logging everything I ate (including gummy vitamins and breath mints!) the weight came off pretty easily. I have managed to lose and keep off 55 pounds since December. I'm now 184 at 6'-1".

One word of caution for my fellow seniors - the skin doesn't snap back as it once did. Trust me.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I may no longer run more than 3 because of other foot issues and when you get older, everything breaks a bit easier and takes longer to heal.

Haven't started lifting again but probably will with light weights. Not going for max anymore.

I just started running a little more than three miles two weeks ago. However, my left heal on the outside had very, very minor pain, and only when my foot would turn at an unusual angle or I touched it. 99% of the time I wouldn't feel anything. I've decided that I might just stay with running two miles. I agree that the older you get, the worse things can be if you get injured. I was mobile as a young adult, but not fit. I didn't play sports. I know people who played sports as kids and they were usually in good shape. I read online of a younger lady who was going into college saying she regretted not playing at least one high school sport. Said all her friends encouraged her back during junior high to play volleyball with them. She choose not too and say they all are in great shape at 18/19 years old. I know others who were in shape in their youth, have become very out-of-shape, but many have managed to keep some of the muscle they had back then. They might not be able to catch many people, but if they get a hold of you, good luck breaking that grip.

I was on vacation the last week. I decided not to run due to my ankle issue. However, I found out that the local YMCA sold day passes to non-members. I went there two days since I wake up very early. I was able to work out for about 90 mins. each day. That YMCA had some nice machines and a nice area for ab work. I also did a short cardio session one of the days I didn't go to the YMCA.

Now that I'm back home, my wife and I have decided on the following:
    -Ditch my carb heavy breakfast and switch to a protein based breakfast. I will now be eating one scrabbled egg and 3-4 pieces of turkey bacon almost every day. I also found some protein heavy waffle/pancake mix on sale and will mix those in as well.
    -I purchased some Creatine to mix in with my protein shakes to see if it helps any.
    -The wife and I have decided that maybe eating french fries all the time when we have meals out (only two days a week) might not be the greatest. We might switch over to fruit or maybe one of us will get fries and the other fruit and we can split it up.
    -The wife wants to focus on her upper leg and butt area to try to eliminate or reduce some of the cellulite she has there. I've told her she needs to move some of her workout days away from cardio and focus solely on strength training. I also told her after we move in a few months to our new home, we might join a gym for a month or so if she needs to use the machines that focus on certain areas of the body.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    A lot of my weight and health issues were beer related. I did what I did under supervision of a great doctor who was very willing to help at all times. I actually scheduled an appointment before I got started, because I knew it would be a stressful situation. I think that is the best thing I could have done, as she motivated me to go all in. I still drink a beer or have a glass of bourbon on occasion, and in the last month, I've been eating anything I want, but I'm used to running and strength training now to offset my intake. This week is the first time in months that I stayed the same weight from Friday to Friday (my weigh in day) 200 lbs on the dot. (I'm 6'4")

Very close to the same story.... What got me going was when I had my old man check-up. My Doc told me I was a border line diabetic, and if I kept going the way I would have to go on some medication. I have always had high blood pressure and was on some pills to help control that, but when the Doc started talking about becoming a diabetic, I got off the couch.

I still drink beer, but a lot less than I did in the past. My wife & I took up tennis and we both fell in love with the game, I go to the gym about 4 or 5 times a week (some times just do the treadmill, other I lift weights).

When I went back to the Doc I was 20 lbs less ( I really wasn't that heavy to start with), My blood pressure was too low so he took me off the HBP medication, and I'm no longer a border-line diabetic.

I know I don't post in this thread very much as I keep doing the same thing week after week, but I do read most every day.

Keep up the good work and enjoy life.

Dave

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We did 5 miles on a nice walking trail today, walked 2, ran 1, then walked 2 more. I'm planning a 2 mile run tomorrow, early, then my normal push-ups and weights later in the day. I love my heavy weekend workout schedule, it allows me to fix a big breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, this morning was huge belgian waffles, tomorrow morning it's biscuits, gravy, eggs and hashbrowns!

We're doing our next 5k on July 4, and I'm hoping to break the top 10 or 15 in my age group, if I can do it, it'll be the icing on the cake!!!!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I blew through my 10,000 step goal for the day. Did a 3.7 mile Nordic Walk the a bit later took my dogs out for ~2.2 miles. Total for the day was ~ 7 miles or 140000 steps.

Nordic walking adds a lot o"resistance" or exercise to the upper body. Not really heavy lifts but when you are doing it continuously for an hour it really adds up. I ca really feel it in my back and shoulders this morning.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

You did it the smart way and 200 is a good weight. I am 6'3" and got back down to 190 at 49 and my GF said don't loose any more weight, LOL. I am back to around 250 and though people say I look fine, I am not.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just started running a little more than three miles two weeks ago. However, my left heal on the outside had very, very minor pain, and only when my foot would turn at an unusual angle or I touched it. 99% of the time I wouldn't feel anything. I've decided that I might just stay with running two miles. I agree that the older you get, the worse things can be if you get injured. I was mobile as a young adult, but not fit. I didn't play sports. I know people who played sports as kids and they were usually in good shape. I read online of a younger lady who was going into college saying she regretted not playing at least one high school sport. Said all her friends encouraged her back during junior high to play volleyball with them. She choose not too and say they all are in great shape at 18/19 years old. I know others who were in shape in their youth, have become very out-of-shape, but many have managed to keep some of the muscle they had back then. They might not be able to catch many people, but if they get a hold of you, good luck breaking that grip.

I was on vacation the last week. I decided not to run due to my ankle issue. However, I found out that the local YMCA sold day passes to non-members. I went there two days since I wake up very early. I was able to work out for about 90 mins. each day. That YMCA had some nice machines and a nice area for ab work. I also did a short cardio session one of the days I didn't go to the YMCA.

Now that I'm back home, my wife and I have decided on the following:
    -Ditch my carb heavy breakfast and switch to a protein based breakfast. I will now be eating one scrabbled egg and 3-4 pieces of turkey bacon almost every day. I also found some protein heavy waffle/pancake mix on sale and will mix those in as well.
    -I purchased some Creatine to mix in with my protein shakes to see if it helps any.
    -The wife and I have decided that maybe eating french fries all the time when we have meals out (only two days a week) might not be the greatest. We might switch over to fruit or maybe one of us will get fries and the other fruit and we can split it up.
    -The wife wants to focus on her upper leg and butt area to try to eliminate or reduce some of the cellulite she has there. I've told her she needs to move some of her workout days away from cardio and focus solely on strength training. I also told her after we move in a few months to our new home, we might join a gym for a month or so if she needs to use the machines that focus on certain areas of the body.

I have fibromatosis, fibroids on the planter fascia that started growing a number of years ago. They don't cause any trouble running but I have found when they do hurt it is usually when they are growing. Running too far tends to make them hurt.

Shoes are the key to running without pain. For me I have found the Brooks Adrenaline work best for me.

The thing is I like running and always have. I would rather run than bicycle. I even enjoy it in the heat even though it is much harder. Problem is that it is less gratifying now that I am older because of the young gazelles that sprint by me as if effortless. :laugh:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Shoes are the key to running without pain. For me I have found the Brooks Adrenaline work best for me.

The thing is I like running and always have. I would rather run than bicycle. I even enjoy it in the heat even though it is much harder.

I actually enjoy running as well. I know I need some true running shoes, but I'm somewhat leery of spending good money on something that might not work. I had a pair of New Balance walking shoes with decent lug traction. I wanted to get some running shoes so I went to Dick's and they suggested something in my lower price range at the time. I started to use them (they have a gray area in the center, which I guess this means something) but the inside part of my right foot would start to hurt. This was when I was running every day. I switch to the New Balance walking shoes and the problem went away. So I went to a running store in town and they looked at my stride. They also suggested shoes that would likely have the gray area in the middle, but the Asics I had been using didn't work.

So I might look again, or maybe just go back with New Balance walking shoes and see if I still get any foot pain.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I just switched from running in New Balance shoes to a pair of Nike free 4.0 shoes I've had for a year or so, and have not had any foot pain at all so far. The bottoms of my feet would feel hot and tingley wearing the new balance shoes on longer runs, but I really liked the heal cushioning, so I stuck with them. One day, I was getting ready to do a short run, and figured I would try the Nikes, they don't look like they would provide much cushioning, but they are very comfortable to run in, been wearing them for about 3 weeks now.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I actually enjoy running as well. I know I need some true running shoes, but I'm somewhat leery of spending good money on something that might not work. I had a pair of New Balance walking shoes with decent lug traction. I wanted to get some running shoes so I went to Dick's and they suggested something in my lower price range at the time. I started to use them (they have a gray area in the center, which I guess this means something) but the inside part of my right foot would start to hurt. This was when I was running every day. I switch to the New Balance walking shoes and the problem went away. So I went to a running store in town and they looked at my stride. They also suggested shoes that would likely have the gray area in the middle, but the Asics I had been using didn't work.

So I might look again, or maybe just go back with New Balance walking shoes and see if I still get any foot pain.

None of those work for me. Try on a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. May or may not fit your feet but they were like gloves for me. They have very good gel cushioning. They have a heel designed for running to help stop pronation. Even then I try to stay off concrete or asphalt and run on the path next to the asphalt where I run for better cushioning. They are pricier but worth it, around $110.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Down anonther 1.1#'s since laast Wednesday! And covered ~ 36,000 steps or ~18miles walking in the past 5 days. Almost to my first goal!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom