• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    AM: Wing Chun. We did IADs and lots of mook.

PM: Circuit, 3 stations, caber toss, battle ropes and jump ups, 1 minute each 16 times around, 48 minute total.

Friday going to stretch and hit the swords hard (form, drills, and I take the arms out of the mook and stick in a beat up dowel rod to train on).

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Just started, 61, way out of shape, bad knees, torn rotators, doctors orders, joined the Y.
    Please, do not laugh too hard.

Last workout,
    4 miles on stationary bike 20 min, doubled HR for last 8 min.
    Upper body Cybex machines 7 stations 10 reps 3X.
    5 min. in steam room.
    Shower.
    60 min in pool.
    Shower.
    5 min in whirl pool.
    Shower.

I am doing lower body and core on Mon - Thur and upper body on Tue - Fri. Missed last night.

Kirk, I googled it but can not figure out what Mook is.

Last edited:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I need to get a new bar. Mine is a cheapo from Sears and is starting to fall apart. Any have recommendations? I am looking at Rogue or Vulcan.
    Check out Rouge's closeout page. They usually have bars with finish blemishes for slightly cheaper than full retail.

There's also a bunch of other options. This guy - https://asmanyreviewsaspossible.com/ - has done a bunch of reviews on different bars. I bought an X-Training Equipment bar for $200 based on one of his reviews and it's super nice.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't see that working out very well for me.

I have one of those, hanging from the ceiling with rope.
    It's meant to be used inside a door frame but that's too narrow to let you do pull ups, only chin ups.

sellincost-top-grade-iron-gym-pull-up-door-gym-chin-up-bar-100kg-0644-3324471-1.jpg

You have many options to make your own.
    It depends where you want to have it (inside, outside, against a wall, attached on the ceiling).

I tried to make my own with wooden dowel but it snapped in half as I was using it.
    It was scary. :):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I just started the same program except for 5x5 instead of 3x5. Weight increases each workout. I hate squats so I started with lighter weights (squat cage should arrive this week). I will do the rowing machine on days not doing this program.

5x5 is a good program too, and if you're relatively new to squatting and deadlifting, go LIGHT and master form. If you don't know what you're doing with heavier weights, you will "snap your @&$# up!"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just started, 61, way out of shape, bad knees, torn rotators, doctors orders, joined the Y.
    Please, do not laugh too hard.

Last workout,
    4 miles on stationary bike 20 min, doubled HR for last 8 min.
    Upper body Cybex machines 7 stations 10 reps 3X.
    5 min. in steam room.
    Shower.
    60 min in pool.
    Shower.
    5 min in whirl pool.
    Shower.

I am doing lower body and core on Mon - Thur and upper body on Tue - Fri. Missed last night.

Swim

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Pretty simple today, bicep concentration curls, calf raises, 30 minute heavy bag workout (combinations and speed practice), followed up with scissor kicks and stretching.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Today, 3.5 miles on bike, Abs and lowerbody 9 stations 2x 10 reps with comfortable weight 1 x10 reps with as much as I could do, 5 minutes steam, 45 min pool (treading water with a noodle, breast stroke, backstroke, and freestyle) 5 min whirl pool.

Off til Monday.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Jogged a mile, did some wind sprints (for me they were). Then 4 sets of 10 burpees (they suck, they suck more than anything that's ever sucked before), followed by "Death by Burpees".
    Do 1 burpee for every minute:
    (Minute 1 = 1 Burpee, 2 = 2 Burpees, etc., until you don't make the count for the minute).

I'd never done that before, the first few minutes, I was kicking it's butt, then by minute 5 I was starting to worry, minute 6 I was hurtin, minute 7 about killed me, minute 8 just laughed at me, so I guess my score was 7. Cross fit coach says he made it to 14.

Considering I could do 3 burpees max @ end of Feb (maybe 4, can't remember), I'm getting better.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Mook Jong, the "wooden man" used in many Chinese boxing styles (Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, JKD, Praying Mantis, inter alia), but now best associated with Wing Chun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_ren_zhuan

There is a form as well as dozens of drills or one can free form on it. It teaches footwork/spacing. In Hong Kong it is called the "kicking form" of Wing Chun, because of the high and flashy kicks that are trained in it.:D (WC has no high and flashy kicks).

One can put pads on it (as I do) so you can punch at strength. You drill punches, parry, strikes, sticky legs, movement, call kinds of stuff without a training partner.

The mook can also be used for sword drills by removing the arms and putting dowel rods, spears or pieces of old long poles.

This is the mook most associated with Wing Chun:

Wall-mountet-wooden-dummy.jpeg

Last edited:

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Check out Rouge's closeout page. They usually have bars with finish blemishes for slightly cheaper than full retail.

There's also a bunch of other options. This guy - https://asmanyreviewsaspossible.com/ - has done a bunch of reviews on different bars. I bought an X-Training Equipment bar for $200 based on one of his reviews and it's super nice.

I almost ordered one the other day from Rogues blem page but the one I wanted had just gone out of stock, of course.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Jogged a mile, did some wind sprints (for me they were). Then 4 sets of 10 burpees (they suck, they suck more than anything that's ever sucked before), followed by "Death by Burpees".
    Do 1 burpee for every minute:
    (Minute 1 = 1 Burpee, 2 = 2 Burpees, etc., until you don't make the count for the minute).

I'd never done that before, the first few minutes, I was kicking it's butt, then by minute 5 I was starting to worry, minute 6 I was hurtin, minute 7 about killed me, minute 8 just laughed at me, so I guess my score was 7. Cross fit coach says he made it to 14.

Considering I could do 3 burpees max @ end of Feb (maybe 4, can't remember), I'm getting better.

Having just done a Spartan Sprint I'll agree burpees suck but feel worse on day two than day 1.

I don't quite get what you were doing for "death by burpee" though. Jog a minute do a burpee, jog 2 minutes do two?

Top Bottom