• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Do you not think that the idea that something has become a legal intoxicant contributed to the willingness to use and drive just as it does with alcohol?

I don’t particularly care about those numbers as horrible as that reality is. People willingly taking an intoxicating substance then getting behind the wheel and injuring someone as a result is a crime as it should be. Someone willingly taking an intoxicating substance in the privacy of their home is not a crime, at least it shouldn’t be.

That’s where I’m at with it. I have an issue with trying to use scare tactics to convince people that an inanimate object (like firearms) should be outlawed because someone may misuse them and injure or kill. Punish the behavior, not the object. It’s just as much BS with marijuana as it is with firearms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm sorry, but with all due respect, comparing an illegal drug that you want legalized with making guns illegal is not the way to win this argument. :twocents:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm sorry, but with all due respect, comparing an illegal drug that you want legalized with making guns illegal is not the way to win this argument. :twocents:

If I help illuminate some member‘s hypocrisy then I’ll have at least accomplished something.

Millions of firearm owners possessed “deadly assault rifles” today without harming anyone. Millions of medical and recreational marijuana users did the same. Banning either is ridiculous whether a person chooses to use either or not. It’s not just about “evil” marijuana.

Same arguments used on both fronts. Arguments based on ignorance and scare tactics which is fine as long as we’re talking about something we have no desire to own or use.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Someone please tell me why it should be illegal for me to plant a seed on my property, from a plant native to the area, water and feed that plant until it matures, harvest a part of that plant and utilize it to make something which I feel is a benefit to me personally.

How is that wrong. Please?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If I help illuminate some member‘s hypocrisy then I’ll have at least accomplished something.

Millions of firearm owners possessed “deadly assault rifles” today without harming anyone. Millions of medical and recreational marijuana users did the same. Banning either is ridiculous whether a person chooses to use either or not. It’s not just about “evil” marijuana.

Same arguments used on both fronts. Arguments based on ignorance and scare tactics which is fine as long as we’re talking about something we have no desire to own or use.

Who's using ignorance and scare tactics? Still ignoring that Washington had an existing problem with MJ use being implicated in a percentage of FATAL crashes. That problem DOUBLED in only one year immediately after legalization. Yet you want me to disregard everything I know about human nature to believe that 'responsible marijuana users' even exist and will only use at home and stay there until the effects wear off because; freedom

Them WHO rolls out the scare tactic of 'You don't support my vision of freedom, so you must want to ban guns'

I'm saying I don't want to share the highways with any MORE impaired people than I already do. If I could be sure you would only kill yourself and that your increased medical expenses wouldn't come out of my pocket, I'd say have at it - but it never works out that way

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Someone please tell me why it should be illegal for me to plant a seed on my property, from a plant native to the area, water and feed that plant until it matures, harvest a part of that plant and utilize it to make something which I feel is a benefit to me personally.

You're not a multi-billion dollar corporation. Duh.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Who's using ignorance and scare tactics? Still ignoring that Washington had an existing problem with MJ use being implicated in a percentage of FATAL crashes. That problem DOUBLED in only one year immediately after legalization. Yet you want me to disregard everything I know about human nature to believe that 'responsible marijuana users' even exist and will only use at home and stay there until the effects wear off because; freedom

Them WHO rolls out the scare tactic of 'You don't support my vision of freedom, so you must want to ban guns'

I'm saying I don't want to share the highways with any MORE impaired people than I already do. If I could be sure you would only kill yourself and that your increased medical expenses wouldn't come out of my pocket, I'd say have at it - but it never works out that way

I don't even need to look it up, and know that it's a faction compared to fatal alcohol crashes. If your argument is to make alcohol illegal too, then your argument is sound. Further, a lot of times the "marijuana in the system," thing is misleading, as the amounts discovered in many cases indicate use well before (as in like days) an accident.
    And you are kinda using the "because of what might happen," excuse, which I think is a non-starter.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Anyone interested should follow IN. Rep. Jim Lucas at least on FB .

Seems he's one of the few Indiana representatives that bothers looking at the latest studies from states that have legalized MJ .

Our fat bastard guberner Holcomb smoked in his college years and look how it's destroyed his life. Yes purple Implied.

Point being MJ is less dangerous than we've been told. Our government has been lying for years about it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't even need to look it up, and know that it's a faction compared to fatal alcohol crashes. If your argument is to make alcohol illegal too, then your argument is sound. Further, a lot of times the "marijuana in the system," thing is misleading, as the amounts discovered in many cases indicate use well before (as in like days) an accident.
    And you are kinda using the "because of what might happen," excuse, which I think is a non-starter.

Actually I'm using 'because it has happened' and no one is proffering hard data that leads to some other conclusion. As far as the duration of detectability canard, see #198. Too predictable

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Maybe if we legalize all drugs and clean out the prisons we’ll have room to actually incarcerate people for driving while intoxicated and keep them in there so they can’t do it again and provide a legitimate deterrent to others.

The only reason anyone would be scared by my approach is if they’re afraid of facing the truth. People are the problem, not inanimate objects or substances. Banning objects doesn’t fix the problem, it makes it worse.

Widespread legalization resulting in off the charts fatal crashes will undoubtedly result in technology to detect intoxication levels and hold people accountable. We don’t have that now nor will we if we continue to believe that banning things fixes problems.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Asking for a friend this time?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Many of those accidents reported in the stats show MJ use in addition to alcohol or other intoxicants. Very few of those accident stats are due to MJ intoxication only. The morons that drink and drive are also ones who drink AND smoke and drive. Alcohol multiplies the effects of many things and I believe including THC.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So if pot is super safe to use and it doesn't alter the way people act or react when they're on it then why are so many people against it.

Now at this point I'm not really talking about the governments involvement or the political aspects of it at all. Just what the people think.
    Why do the people think it's a good idea to have MJ legal and accessible in the states?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    So if pot is super safe to use and it doesn't alter the way people act or react when they're on it then why are so many people against it.

Now at this point I'm not really talking about the governments involvement or the political aspects of it at all. Just what the people think.
    Why do the people think it's a good idea to have MJ legal and accessible in the states?

Why are people against it ?

Simple, people are dumb, panicky animals who've been told for the past 100 years that MJ is bad m'kay.

Why do people act scared/ paranoid on it ? Because the most dangerous thing about it is getting caught with it and having their lives destroyed over it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Who said it doesn’t alter behavior? It does in many instances. That said, why does it matter to me what my neighbors do if it doesn’t affect me? Why waste money and resources on something that isn’t harming me?

Id like to see it legalized for two reasons. First I’d like to see if it can provide relief as so many claim that it can. Second I’d like to see the billions of dollars spent and lives lost every year fighting the “war on drugs” come to an end. I’d like to see people who create victims held accountable and locked away rather than cut loose to make room for people who aren’t harming anyone -or at least anyone other than themselves.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe if we legalize all drugs and clean out the prisons we’ll have room to actually incarcerate people for driving while intoxicated and keep them in there so they can’t do it again and provide a legitimate deterrent to others.

The only reason anyone would be scared by my approach is if they’re afraid of facing the truth. People are the problem, not inanimate objects or substances. Banning objects doesn’t fix the problem, it makes it worse.

Widespread legalization resulting in off the charts fatal crashes will undoubtedly result in technology to detect intoxication levels and hold people accountable. We don’t have that now nor will we if we continue to believe that banning things fixes problems.

I think I've heard that they have been coming up with more reliable testing methods as more and more states decriminalize/legalize MJ, and I suspect that the technology will continue to be developed.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Is it impossible for you to be prescribed Marinol or similar in Indiana? If not, why haven't you investigated whether that would provide the relief you seek? If that is also proscribed, why not seek to legalize pharmaceutical quality standardized extracts and synthetics that are difficult to abuse rather than go the route that is a halfway house to recreational use. Are you one of the ones who think the trace chemicals in 'natural' marijuana, and I guess the uncharacterized byproducts of combustion, are somehow important to any analgesic effects

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’ve never heard of Marinol. I spent more than a year working with the Indiana Poly Clinic for pain management and other than the Celebrex they prescribed nothing else worked.

I have zero desire to smoke marijuana. Where it is legal there are all sorts of various means of ingesting specific amounts of it as well as different strains which have been developed for specific uses. I will tell you that the thought of receiving relief from something that I may be able to produce myself sounds lot better than making another trip to the pharmacy for another chemical substance which I have no way of knowing what it Is comprised of.

If two different substances can achieve the same result, what makes one better than the other? Because it was developed by a large pharmaceutical corporation? I don’t believe what they have to say and honestly believe that marijuana is a safer alternative to an awful lot of what’s out there in the market now.

Top Bottom