• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Has anyone ever thought about stashing money to the side in the rare event of the government allotting a short period of time to remanufacture and registering MG's? Like if they gave us 6 months to Form 1 MG's.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    No; setting aside funds to cover hospital bills in case you're struck by lightning... twice... would be a more sensible budget move. :xmad:

:laugh:

I'm just thinking, if by some chance it did happen, how PO'd id be if I didn't have the funds to register any during the alloted time. Id kick myself in the ass for the rest of my life if let that pass by me.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I don't know why they'd do this. There's been talk (very limited talk) about having an amnesty registration for vets to register their bring-backs. They wouldn't open the door to mass registration of anything that you could make. They don't have the authority to do it, without an act of Congress.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I don't know why they'd do this. There's been talk (very limited talk) about having an amnesty registration for vets to register their bring-backs. They wouldn't open the door to mass registration of anything that you could make. They don't have the authority to do it, without an act of Congress.

Party pooper.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If something like that were to happen, we would see it coming a few months in advance, and I would sell EVERYTHING that I could live without to get some toys registered. We really should lobby this as revenue boosting. They could make millions in taxes by opening it up for just a week or so.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Meh. I'd just sell a bunch of stuff to raise the capital. You know, house, car, 6-year-old... :):

That would be some caish if you sold the child to China! :):

I wouldn't even be able to do it then. I can't even get what I want now in the regular NFA stuff lol or reloading or shooting....Man I need to win the Power Ball when it's 500 million again!

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    politicians always are about the Almighty $

if they would just look at the revenue it would generate that might get them to rethink it

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I would probably just send a ton of Form 1's for RDIAS's, HK sears, and 10/22's. That way, I would have the stamps, and then could build the sears when I actually have the time and money, instead of having to buy serial numbered guns already, which would cost more money. And 10/22's are cheap, so that wouldnt be too hard.

That would work, right?

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    politicians always are about the Almighty $

if they would just look at the revenue it would generate that might get them to rethink it

If it "were to happen" it would come with a HUGE tax I'd bet.

I think a SOCUS ruling overturning it more likely.

But then I personally don't consider either very likely. But for pure investors I do think MGs are somewhat of an "high-risk" investment as much could change the law of the land. Just imagine, a legally registered one being misused and everyone could end up getting penalized

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    In '68 there was a month to register existing guns ....http://www.adamsguns.com/nfa.htm
    "Under Section 207(d) of the Gun Control Act of 1968, Congress authorized the Secretary of the Treasury to establish unlimited numbers of amnesty periods, not to exceed 90 days each, after publication of notice of his intention to do so in the Federal Register. A 30 day amnesty was declared in Nov./Dec., 1968, but none since! BATF has consistently objected to another amnesty - even though multiple amnesties were the specific intent of Congress in 1968! Many people think BATF should have other, more important work to do instead of prosecuting otherwise honest citizens for technical violations and spending time objecting to an amnesty - especially considering the September 11 attack.
    An amnesty would benefit veterans who shipped a NFA war trophy home and didn't realize it was supposed to be registered, or simply neglected to register it, or lost their registration. During such an amnesty, all citizens should be able to register, re-register, or resolve problems with the registration without fear of prosecution or confiscation! They should also be able to obtain a ruling whether their gun needed to be registered - or not.

In November 1968, following passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act as specifically authorized under the law, the federal government initiated a 30-day amnesty to allow registration of previously unregistered firearms - no questions asked. No background check was performed, nor was the registration verified in any way. Over 50,000 firearms were registered during this period.

However, many people were:

- unaware of the amnesty,

- feared the government would not honor the amnesty terms and they would be prosecuted.

- unaware of the requirement to register specific firearms,

- were unaware they owned a firearm that needed to be registered,
    - were unable to provide the required information in the specified time,
    - could not obtain the registration forms ...
    "

In '86 you had until May 19th to Form 1 everything and have the items finished by then. Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thus if you had another amnesty, I am guessing you could only have registered finished guns/devices and most likely vet bring backs with some type paper work or documents .....

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    JT, I love reading your posts and you always amaze me with your wealth of knowledge. So what I understand from reading that, is all it would take for another amnesty would be for BATFE to say "give 'em a month and that's it", and then we would potentially have a month to send in as many forms as possible?

From the way it reads, it sounds like there would be no need for anyone to get involved besides BATFE giving the thumbs up.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    JT, I love reading your posts and you always amaze me with your wealth of knowledge. So what I understand from reading that, is all it would take for another amnesty would be for BATFE to say "give 'em a month and that's it", and then we would potentially have a month to send in as many forms as possible?

From the way it reads, it sounds like there would be no need for anyone to get involved besides BATFE giving the thumbs up.

The only problem is the Hughes Amendment to the so-called Firearms Owner Protection Act which prohibits the registration of any full-auto weapons under any circumstances other than for sale to military or law enforcement agencies which may not be resold to anyone other than military or law enforcement agencies, and of course that not-quite loophole for dealer samples which require the dealer to have a letter from a qualified agency before he can but the sample to demonstrate the weapon.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Instead of amnesty, how about the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I love the speculation about a firearm amnesty, but in truth a return to the constitution where there is no sporting purpose "clause", no minimum barrel length as not defined by the constitution, no number of rounds per trigger pull, nor having a stock on a "pistol", no mandatory limit on imported parts, no ban based on location of manufacture, since none of these are described in the supreme law of the land.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Instead of amnesty, how about the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I love the speculation about a firearm amnesty, but in truth a return to the constitution where there is no sporting purpose "clause", no minimum barrel length as not defined by the constitution, no number of rounds per trigger pull, nor having a stock on a "pistol", no mandatory limit on imported parts, no ban based on location of manufacture, since none of these are described in the supreme law of the land.

Kinda getting off topic, but who cares.

I think the only way that would ever stand a chance is if we get our rights back step by step. If the focus is to just do away with the NFA, we'll never see it happen, but we start with making suppressors a title 1 firearm and no one goes on a mass rampage with one, they will they're not dangerous. Then we could go for a one month amnesty period to register pre existing firearms to title II MG's. When they see no one went on a mass killing spree with the new MG's, maybe it will start opening peoples eyes to the stupidness of NFA.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom