• ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Oh yeah^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Go light commercial and work up if you do come into the trade. Residential is very seasonal at least around here.
    Many good things about the trade. Good pay, new places all the time. Meet some really neat people. Get to experience things you will never see or do in any other field. So many things to know in this trade. You make your own work once you get established and learn the ropes.
    Some bad things....High stress at times. Slow times seasonally and economy driven. Meet some serious A$$hats and nut bags. People want everything for nothing and they want it all yesterday. Everything is your fault.....period. Most Employers will can your a$$ if they catch you doing side work as it is seen as competing.

I have been in this my whole life with brief ventures into other areas but always back to HVAC. Retired last August and my phone still rings with projects. The trade has changed dramatically.
    If you want to gab about it PM me and I will give you my insight.

The stress comes when you are under the gun on a project or running refrigeration service. Refer. service is very stressful if you let it be. Traffic getting job to job, trying to find parts and customer does not understand why you do not have an obscure control relay for a foreign made P-tac unit on your truck. Normal stuff.
    There are a lot of neat things with the trade as well. Especially when you are a nooby and the learning curve is vertical. Something new and exciting everyday.
    If you do the trade school route you will know just enough to get a job and then the crazy starts until you get some experience.

been in the business for 33 years and i have nothing to add as CM has covered about all of it......i have never been unemployed unless i wanted to be....

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Again, he won't be a "good service tech" from the start. Area's very and my statements are facts. Try opening your eyes to something other then your 30 yrs. of experience with a large company, covering such a large territory.

I guess you must be LYAO at the other postings here, which side with my post?

No I'm LMAO that you paint the job as all doom and gloom, and I am looking at the big picture, all you need to be a "good tech" is show up for work on time and understand the theory of how systems operate. I don't care if it's a 2 ton split system or a 400 ton open drive recip. a 90= GF or a 1000hp boiler, the laws of thermo-dynamics don't change, how you read a wiring diagram doesn't change, and the basic priciples of combustion stay the same.

I am assuming you had a bad experience doing this for a living and gave it up, or did you just slug it out and suffer it while through making good money.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Doing residential service is what can burn people out... Nasty homes and crawls and Attics that nobody has been in in years..... Customers angry at your company and see you and yell at your for things out of your control because they see the company name on your shirt.... People wanting stuff done NOW and for free.... But there are times people are thrilled to see you.... Even offer to help, offer you ice cold water on a hot day and give you a genuine thank you when you are done but the bad experiences far out weigh the positives so you look forward to the good ones. All this is true in any job really that involves residential. Big reason why MANY get out or go commercial in their field.

There are negatives to commercial/businesses but not nearly as frequent.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    This November I will have 10 years in the commercial/ industrial HVAC field with the same company. Can't say every day was sunshine and 70, but you learn how to be prepared. I've traveled to more states for work than I've visited on vacations. I've seen places behind the scenes that most people never will....and seen stuff I wish I could forget. I've gone home smelling like the facilities we've worked in...and the wife has made me strip in the garage before coming in the house. Every job has its ups and downs... Depends how you react and if you like the work you do.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Doing residential service is what can burn people out... Nasty homes and crawls and Attics that nobody has been in in years..... Customers angry at your company and see you and yell at your for things out of your control because they see the company name on your shirt.... People wanting stuff done NOW and for free.... But there are times people are thrilled to see you.... Even offer to help, offer you ice cold water on a hot day and give you a genuine thank you when you are done but the bad experiences far out weigh the positives so you look forward to the good ones. All this is true in any job really that involves residential. Big reason why MANY get out or go commercial in their field.

There are negatives to commercial/businesses but not nearly as frequent.

its the same in commercial and industrial. Have you ever worked in a animal processing facility? Ever work in a Cold storage facility with $250 million worth of blood plasma in inventory that you have to keep cool thats in a facility with antique ammonia equipment because they would rather not spend the money for new? It can be trying at times...but there are just as many new facilities that actually believe in maintenance and preventative maintenance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    its the same in commercial and industrial. Have you ever worked in a animal processing facility? Ever work in a Cold storage facility with $250 million worth of blood plasma in inventory that you have to keep cool thats in a facility with antique ammonia equipment because they would rather not spend the money for new? It can be trying at times...but there are just as many new facilities that actually believe in maintenance and preventative maintenance.

I have seen all of this and more but you already know that. I do not think there are many other trades that are so varied in environment and equipment. Problem is when you have a wife and kids you actually are fond of (took me 3 try's) it is tough to mount up and roll out knowing not when you will be coming home. Industrial is like that.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So who wants to tell how the application process is like for a union apprentice program or what should I expect? And can we please keep the pro/anti union debate in a different thread?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So who wants to tell how the application process is like for a union apprentice program or what should I expect? And can we please keep the pro/anti union debate in a different thread?

You really need to have some help getting into the program. They will be swamped with applications and 95% of those people do not know the 1st thing about the proper use of a screwdriver beyond being a pry bar. There will be some good folks applying but again, not guarantee of being accepted. I was out of the 440 for 20 years. It is OK if you can do the union thing. Not that hard to do.

There was someone posted up on the 1st page about this. Contact him and see if he can be of some help. I am retired and lost touch.

I can only say that you do need to have some ability's and skill sets that revolve around tools/machines/electricity/welding skills/self motivated with good people skills as you will need them. If you understand electricity and mechanics you have a shot. If you do not then seek out another career. You can learn the tech side of the trade but you need to be able to translate that through a wrench and a screw driver.

Luck to you.

Christian patriot was who brought up the 440.
    If you do not make it into the program then some trade school training will be required. Company's do not do the on the job training thing much these days.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

CM pretty much covered the basics. I guess it's local 440 for you and the deadline is in June. Get down there ASAP to the training center and get an application.

You'll do some waiting because there will probably be a lot of applicants, but more than likely you'll get an interview. It will be a panel. Just don't sound like a dumbass and you'll be fine.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    No I'm LMAO that you paint the job as all doom and gloom, and I am looking at the big picture, all you need to be a "good tech" is show up for work on time and understand the theory of how systems operate. I don't care if it's a 2 ton split system or a 400 ton open drive recip. a 90= GF or a 1000hp boiler, the laws of thermo-dynamics don't change, how you read a wiring diagram doesn't change, and the basic priciples of combustion stay the same.

I am assuming you had a bad experience doing this for a living and gave it up, or did you just slug it out and suffer it while through making good money.

Don't let sig-guy see this, he likes everyone to believe it's a 6 month job, 3 in the summer, 3 in the winter.

You really are clueless... I never said anything CLOSE to what you think I did. I guess you just have a problem understanding FACTS.

You want to paint a pretty picture for the OP, go ahead. I'm giving him some things to think about before he jumps in head first. If you have a problem with that, I could care less. You have your opinion and I have the facts.

Now, should I color this PINK, so you don't get your panties in a bunch?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I am considering changing careers and HVAC kind of interests me as it is year round it appears you can make your own side business if you wanted.
    So my question is how did you get started in the field? Did you go to school first or do companies train you or pay for your schooling?
    Are you a vet? Do you have any electrical/electronic/hvac experience? If so... Goto faa.gov and apply online for an (environmental/esu) job which is HVAC and then some. The Federal Aviation Administration will train you. We even have our OWN air conditioning classes and issue our own AC license(EPA 609). Classes are taught in Oklahoma City at our technical center.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am not a vet.
    I did take building trades in high school where the house we constructed was later sold. I don't know much about electrical or welding other then the very basics.

Building trades and CAD (we messed around with machining a bit in that class) in high school were 2 of the best classes I took.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    You really are clueless... I never said anything CLOSE to what you think I did. I guess you just have a problem understanding FACTS.

You want to paint a pretty picture for the OP, go ahead. I'm giving him some things to think about before he jumps in head first. If you have a problem with that, I could care less. You have your opinion and I have the facts.

Now, should I color this PINK, so you don't get your panties in a bunch?

The only facts you have given here is that you had a bad experience and paint a picture that makes the job look like.hell week on paris island.

But hey you are entitled to spew what ever nonsense you like, me I will keep on working and enjoy a comfortable life style doing a job that I like.

P.S. you can get your panties in a wad if you like.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    The only facts you have given here is that you had a bad experience and paint a picture that makes the job look like.hell week on paris island.

Who said I had a bad experience? There you go assuming and making sh*t up again.
    If you took time to actually read and comprehend your posts, you might realize you're the one posting BS.
    No bad experience, just the facts that come with this trade. If you were clever enough to pull your head out of your a** long enough, you'll find out there's a whole world out there you have never seen/experienced.

But hey you are entitled to spew what ever nonsense you like, me I will keep on working and enjoy a comfortable life style doing a job that I like.

The only one spewing crap is the person you see in the mirror.

You are the one with the panties in a wad. YOU couldn't except the fact you where wrong and started with the bold/colored posting. A true sign of failure. Oh look, I'm the BIG guy, so I must be right attitude. You lost as soon as you hit the 'post' button.

It's comical to see you arguing with me, yet you leave everyone else alone that has agreed with my posts.

Why is it that you're still working for someone after 30 yrs.? Go take a look in that mirror again...

Now, do you have any further info for the OP or are you going to continue playing the school yard bully?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    sig-guy, it sure seems like you've had bad experiences and you're extremely bitter. You may have some good knowledge but your delivery kills it. The hostility in your posts made me think right away that you either hated and quit or currently hate your profession. Lighten up.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    sig-guy, it sure seems like you've had bad experiences and you're extremely bitter. You may have some good knowledge but your delivery kills it. The hostility in your posts made me think right away that you either hated and quit or currently hate your profession. Lighten up.

I cut right to the dirty, so the OP knows what to expect. I'm not going to sugar coat anything.

The other party involved attacked the facts. The fact is, he is limited with his experience. He's the one who needs to 'lighten up' and except things are different outside of his 'little place of employment'.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Its much easier to just place people that you and possibly many others find to be a prick ON THE IGNORE LIST ! ;) Most of the alleged pricks arent even smart enough to figure out that they are being ignored. :D

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I am not a vet.
    I did take building trades in high school where the house we constructed was later sold. I don't know much about electrical or welding other then the very basics.

Building trades and CAD (we messed around with machining a bit in that class) in high school were 2 of the best classes I took.

Being a vet does NOT disqualify you. Being a vet just gets you some extra points for "veteran preference" and moves "you" toward the head of the line for interviews. GO FOR IT if it is the career you want. I work on "my" (really the FAA's) equipment. I take care of 12 air conditioning units starting from 15 ton 3stage on down to some window units. I have unlimited access to all specialized tools and if I need something(for work) I go buy it with a Federal Government Credit Card which has my name on it. The tech school for A/C trains you on window type units, standard house type split systems, industrial chillers and even heat pumps. You get paid to train, license is no cost to the tech and can be used to buy your own personal equipment for your home and some even run side work. My 3.5 ton unit for my home that I installed cost me $1075 delivered to my driveway. Furnace cost me $750 delivered to my driveway. Ill never have to pay a HVAC company for service or installation/markup again.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Its much easier to just place people that you and possibly many others find to be a prick ON THE IGNORE LIST ! ;) Most of the alleged pricks arent even smart enough to figure out that they are being ignored. :D

Works wonders when you don't want to see your wrong, Eh? :rofl::lmfao:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom