• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I do know if for whatever reason I do ask someone if they have a weapon in the vehicle and they say no, and then later during the stop I ask the driver to step out and they have gun on them, tensions go sky high

Silence is not lying. Shut up means shut up. Don't say anything.

Stop trying for the pat on the head. Just sit there and shut up. Sitting there and shutting up does not mean to lie to the police.

Don't lie, shut up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Typically when someone hands me their carry card with their DL it puts me at ease even sooner

Have we got some stories for you. Everything from having their own guns pointed back at them when Officer Schmuckatelli or Deputy Cledus is trying to get the mag out of a Walther P99 (they even jump up and down trying) to taking guns apart.

No. Don't do it. Stop trying to get pats on the head for being a "card-carrying good guy" or whatever sheep-hitting, pipe dog crap is going around now.

Sheepdog, silence thy own self:

22489745_1703744199667573_3753505950692380853_n.jpg

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by mkryan
    ...I can't for the life of me come up with a good reason to remain silent on it (if directly asked) if your a legal gunowner.

Because you don't want to get shot with your own gun? Because the less admin gun handling on I-74 at 2:00AM on a February morning, the better.

Or, you can use my example, because the cop will take your 1911 and turn it over and over like he is on set on 2001 and miss the 2 other guns that you have on you (a Kahr P9 and a Smith M638).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, I can't seem to figure out where you stand on this subject. Can you try to be more clear.:lol:

1. Stop talking. I have file drawers full of people that talk too much. Don't speak. Not a single word. (NOTE: not talking is not the same as being a dick. See #2 and 3]

If you guys want to talk to cops, buy them breakfast or coffee or something, not while you are detained. If you are detained, shut up. If you want to talk to them like you are a good buddy and want the pat on the head, then go buy them lunch or something. I mean I bought an INGO cop cookies in Broad Ripple and all I got was a hard time so be advised.

2. Do not lie to the police, this is facilitated by . . . shutting the shut up!

3. Do not argue or resist the police in any way. Just sit there. It's an OV or an IF. It is nothing. If you cared you would have obeyed the traffic code. If you want to care more about OVs or IFs, learn the traffic code and comply. Use knowledge as a sword, not as a land mine waiting to hurt you.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Have we got some stories for you. Everything from having their own guns pointed back at them when Officer Schmuckatelli or Deputy Cledus is trying to get the mag out of a Walther P99 (they even jump up and down trying) to taking guns apart.

No. Don't do it. Stop trying to get pats on the head for being a "card-carrying good guy" or whatever sheep-hitting, pipe dog crap is going around now.

Sheepdog, silence thy own self...

Y'see Kirk, there are 3 kinds of people: wolves, sheep, and people who were tacticool in 2011, sheepdogs in 2014, and currently looking for a new nickname for their self-aggrandizement...

...and I'm surprised that no one has informed the good lone-star officer that having a LTCH in Indiana does not mean anything when it comes to training.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    .and I'm surprised that no one has informed the good lone-star officer that having a LTCH in Indiana does not mean anything when it comes to training.

Wait . . . is this Kirk's First Law of the Internet, the law in Texas is the law everywhere? I think rhino owes me a case of .45acp because you typed this?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Silence is not lying. Shut up means shut up. Don't say anything.

Stop trying for the pat on the head. Just sit there and shut up. Sitting there and shutting up does not mean to lie to the police.

Don't lie, shut up.

That's still a bad idea. I didn't typically ask about firearms, so if I did, there was something that just didn't sit right with me. If one chooses to simply stay silent, then that would make me think there might be an issue. I'd start another car, wait until they arrived, and then we would order the driver out of the car. Keep in mind, you (the driver) never really know "why" an officer has pulled you over until the stop has concluded. I've pulled over lots of people, more substantial reasons, but told them another legal reason for stopping them. You never tip your hand, until you absolutely have to.
    Let's person is DWS-prior, and I pull them over an expired plate. I'd approach the driver, talk to him, and ask if he has weapons. He stays silent. Now, in my mind, I'm thinking this guy KNOWS he's suspended (many people don't know) and that he's working out a plan. I'm calling backup and getting him out of the car. IF he does have a firearm, rather than being a cite and release, he's going to jail, his car will be searched, and towed.
    I've taken more people to jail for this whole "don't talk to police" stuff than I could possibly count. There is no fast and hard rule on it. It simply depends on the situation.

The joke used to be, "lawyers tell you to 'shut up,' because they want you to go to jail, so you have to hire one of them."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was told that when pulled over you are supposed to jump out of the car, remove the firearm from your holster and while coonfingering it yell "It's OK I HAVE A PERMIT!"

Didn't I put you on double secret probation for something earlier?

Your sanction for your probation violation is having rhino "help" you around the house all weekend.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I have not been pulled over in several years, but from experience, I would add that if you are not happy with your ticket or merely want to get out of paying it, show up in court. You have the right to go to court. If the officer does not show up, you will likely get to walk away free and clear. In some places, you have good odds that the officer will not show up.

If the officer shows up then accept the fact that it is not your lucky day, plead guilty, and pay the fine. I don't think you will have to pay more for going to court.

When the officer hands you a ticket, take comfort in the fact that it is not the end of it. Don't give any indication you will go to court or say something stupid like "See you in court."

If you want to improve your odds, leave a large box of doughnuts on the courthouse steps about fifteen minutes before your time to appear. Be sure to write on the box "Thankyou Heros."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have not been pulled over in several years, but from experience, I would add that if you are not happy with your ticket or merely want to get out of paying it, show up in court. You have the right to go to court. If the officer does not show up, you will likely get to walk away free and clear. In some places, you have good odds that the officer will not show up.

If the officer shows up then accept the fact that it is not your lucky day, plead guilty, and pay the fine. I don't think you will have to pay more for going to court.

When the officer hands you a ticket, take comfort in the fact that it is not the end of it. Don't give any indication you will go to court or say something stupid like "See you in court."

If you want to improve your odds, leave a large box of doughnuts on the courthouse steps about fifteen minutes before your time to appear. Be sure to write on the box "Thankyou Heros."

In some places that is true. In some places, it is very NOT true. Some agencies require their officers show up to court.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In some places that is true. In some places, it is very NOT true. Some agencies require their officers show up to court.

And I THINK some jurisdictions tack on "court costs" to the fine if you show up to fight and lose. At least I think that is what I saw on one of my tickets, but that has *knocks on wood* been many years ago.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    And I THINK some jurisdictions tack on "court costs" to the fine if you show up to fight and lose. At least I think that is what I saw on one of my tickets, but that has *knocks on wood* been many years ago.

It seems like this was challenged in Indianapolis/Marion County and they had did change their policy. I do not recall the specifics.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Piggybacking on Bubba, if he asks a general VAGUE question like "anything in the car I need to be concerned about?" is it illegal to say "no officer" if you are carrying a concealed firearm legally that he should not see during the course of your interaction? After all if you have the gun legally and arent planning to use it, he has nothing to be concerned about. Right?

I assume its illegal to lie to a cop and it would be a bad thing if he asks "any weapons in the vehicle?" and you say "no" while carrying. But given the vague question, are you really lying? After all, he also doesnt have to worry about the fire extinguisher in my trunk that theoretically could be used as a bludgeon. :dunno:
    "Nothing illegal"!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom