How Many, Under 40 Years Old Can Identify A Box End Wrench?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Many, Under 40 Years Old Can Identify A Box End Wrench?

• A few will know it is a box end wrench

Votes: 14 23.3%
    • A few will know it is a wrench.

Votes: 21 35.0%
    • Most will know it is a wrench.

Votes: 22 36.7%
    • Most will know it is a box end wrench.

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    My dad was a machinist, and welder.....I HAD to learn tools, plus he taught me to read a ruler, and a tape measure...funny, I hated fractions, but can read a ruler....That ability got me a great job at Jeffboat, then at Newport News Shipyard...but the fly in the ointment, was at NNSY they use 10ths of an inch......WTF? My bulkheads still fit though!

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    My sons can identify...'cause I've been yelling at them about bringing me the right wrench since they were each about 7.

video_image-bwA6xmIXWq.jpeg

...but my boys know that an adjustable wrench is almost NEVER the right tool. They make wrenches in specific sizes for a reason.
    The crescent wrench is only used when you’ve lost your 10mm socket.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You forgot bacon.

Let's make it even simpler. How many young people who work in hardware/home improvement stores can identify a box end wrench? Or . . . dowel rods? I went to Menards for dowel rods and had to ask four people before I found one who even knew what they were. The first three were in their twenties , and I got everything from "What?" to "No, we don't have those" to "Towel rods? they are in the bathroom department." Finally sought out a guy over 40 and he told me right where to find them.

Don't even get me started on the lady at Lowe's who didn't know the difference between wood screws and bolts.
    Hell! Go to any parts store and talk to the kid behind the counter. I'd guess 90 + percent of them don't know the first thing about cars! :ugh:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    And that is the point. So many of those that are pushing nonsense in things like power generation and transmission have themselves never thought about how to generate a watt of power much less have done so. Never even rode a mini bike and certainly never tried to figure out how to make it go faster.

But they have strong opinions on the things you do, like e-fuel, emissions control, fuel mileage. Yep, just decree it and utopia will happen…

I actually work for this guy. . . . . . .

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Back in the early 80's I bought a used Sun Machine with exhaust analyzer and thought I was in hog heaven. Sure, it was nice, but soon after it gradually became obsolete.
    I actually bought the Sun Machine I trained on in high school a few years ago for $1. The new industrial tech teachers have no idea how to use anything before 2018, so they cleaned house. Also got a Genesys scan tool for $1 and some Apple II computers with lathes and a mill for $1 each.

Still have everything but the Sun Machine. It was just too big for my shop at the current time so I sold it to a guy with a big muscle car collection and a nice shop to display them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Its gallons per mile here and I really did not care.....:):
    We built it front to back. I had help with the body as we are not tooled up for that, but we did over 50% of the work.
    Yup, we know tools.

qTOWv0V.jpg
    No feeling in the world like working hard, thinking all the time about how to get a better pass, and watching a great run. Truck pulling for me back in the day before it went crazy…

Top Bottom