• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    ... how often would you top up the magazine, and then insert it into the pistol while it is holstered.

I do it every time I load a handgun. Are you telling me you pull the mag and top it off with you handgun still in your hand?

We also do it constantly while training. It’s the safest way to top up while off the line.

So, to answer your question, all the time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do it every time I load a handgun. Are you telling me you pull the mag and top it off with you handgun still in your hand?

We also do it constantly while training. It’s the safest way to top up while off the line.

This is factual. Whenever you train (or even compete) on a hot range, swapping mags while in the holster is done a lot.

It is a legitimate choice to forego that convenience knowingly if you choose to protect the mag release instead. I think for left handers whose mag release faces away from the body, there is merit to having it protected by the kydex.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Thank you for clarifying. From the training classes I have taken, and the pistol league, the rules are that the handgun goes in the holster empty, and that you load and make ready on the firing line. When you unload and show clear you have the empty/used mag out of the pistol for reloading, and you holster the empty pistol. Under those conditions I have never needed to remove a magazine while the weapon is holstered

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That seems a clunky process with only having one hand involved in the reload rather than having one hand bring the pistol down as the mag is being brought up.

It's administrative, so efficiency or clunkiness are irrelevant. It lets you top your gun off while other people are shooting without having to handle your gun. Most ranges, training classes, competitions, etc. don't want you having a gun out of the holster behind the line.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is factual. Whenever you train (or even compete) on a hot range, swapping mags while in the holster is done a lot.

It is a legitimate choice to forego that convenience knowingly if you choose to protect the mag release instead. I think for left handers whose mag release faces away from the body, there is merit to having it protected by the kydex.
    If you're swapping out an empty mag though (not just topping off a partial mag), how do you rack the slide to chamber your first round without unholstering?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you're swapping out an empty mag though (not just topping off a partial mag), how do you rack the slide to chamber your first round without unholstering?

I do not holster an empty gun. If the slide is locked-back or I otherwise know it's empty, I'll reload before holster (unless the next drill requires otherwise). Swapping mags in the holster isn't a trick that works for every situation, it just allows another option to manage your ammunition without removing the gun from the holster. For that reason, as BBI mentioned, you can do it anywhere, not just on the firing line.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do not holster an empty gun. If the slide is locked-back or I otherwise know it's empty, I'll reload before holster (unless the next drill requires otherwise). Swapping mags in the holster isn't a trick that works for every situation, it just allows another option to manage your ammunition without removing the gun from the holster. For that reason, as BBI mentioned, you can do it anywhere, not just on the firing line.

Well I'm disappointed. I wanted videos. :): That makes more sense.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Thank you for clarifying. From the training classes I have taken, and the pistol league, the rules are that the handgun goes in the holster empty, and that you load and make ready on the firing line. When you unload and show clear you have the empty/used mag out of the pistol for reloading, and you holster the empty pistol. Under those conditions I have never needed to remove a magazine while the weapon is holstered

Gotcha. That is a different situation.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You need to take training classes from someone who runs a “hot range” then.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Looks like the shirt got caught in it. I did not hear a click when he put the gun in and that should have been a warning sign. This could happen to any gun.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Having seen more than one person drop their mag unintentionally from a holster with the mag exposed (and drawing a lot of attention) I prefer the mag release to be covered.

I have no issue admitting that I am a high drag, low speed keyboard operator how often would you top up the magazine, and then insert it into the pistol while it is holstered. That seems a clunky process with only having one hand involved in the reload rather than having one hand bring the pistol down as the mag is being brought up.

It’s got nothing to do with admin reloads, if you’re using a kydex holster that doesn’t have the mag releasesblocked out (ie negative space between the releases and the material) and is just covered, any kind of flex and movement is going to put pressure on the release. Some guns can get away with it, some can not.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Looks like the shirt got caught in it. I did not hear a click when he put the gun in and that should have been a warning sign. This could happen to any gun.
    It could happen to "many" guns but not "any" gun. Those with a safety or even just a grip safety aren't going to fire with a trigger snag.

But, yes his procedure was less than ideal.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    About a year ago, I was in a LGS when a guy on crutches comes in. Seems he did a "Trigger Job" on his M&P and it snagged on his hoodie, explaining why he was on crutches. He traded it(got almost nothing for it, dealer said mods made it unsafe-and IMHO he was right) for a hammerless Sp101.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Getting in late, but AIWB is a horrible idea...for me...a man of girth. I don't want to have to pull my belly out of the way to access the firearm. 4-o'clock seems to be about the sweet spot for me.

No. You're wanting to pry into it with microwaves :):

Sorry to ruin your "out" but microwaves don't "pry". Also, I kinda think the slide and plastic will absorb most of the microwave energy, and just heat up the gun. If the gun gets hot enough to transfer enough heat to the round, then yes. It would go off. But then it's not really the microwaves causing the discharge. It's the heat generated from everything around the cartridge.

My guess is that the gun would probably melt before the round goes off. Maybe catch on fire, then eventually go off. At any rate, both the gun and microwave would be ruined.

So basically, why not just set the Glock on fire? It's disposable. Kinda like a spork. Right?

/denny

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    YES! The internet comes through! I just knew someone out there had to microwave their Glock on video. 'Murica.

I didn't think there'd be flames. I thought the plastic would mostly kinda smolder, and maybe the round would eventually fire if enough heat transferred. But still. Chezuki could win the bet by throwing it in a fire. Why waste a perfectly functional microwave? :dunno:

[video=youtube;zZ7_0U3KIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7_0U3KIZE[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Getting in late, but AIWB is a horrible idea...for me...a man of girth. I don't want to have to pull my belly out of the way to access the firearm. 4-o'clock seems to be about the sweet spot for me.
    Every time someone says they’re too fat for AIWB, I feel skinnier. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    YES! The internet comes through! I just knew someone out there had to microwave their Glock on video. 'Murica.

I didn't think there'd be flames. I thought the plastic would mostly kinda smolder, and maybe the round would eventually fire if enough heat transferred. But still. Chezuki could win the bet by throwing it in a fire. Why waste a perfectly functional microwave? :dunno:

When you heat a polymer sufficiently (and many other substances), the surface will undergo pyrolysis, releasing easily combustible components in gaseous form. The flames are burning gases. It's pretty much how plastics burn in an open flame, but it looks a little different.

Top Bottom