Hmm. How secure is a gun box with cable...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Absurd. Which ever end of the cable was in, and how it was routed inside the box before the burglary, it was a inexpensive box of bendy metal that failed because a burglar applies some force, and you want to blame the victim of the burglary. I hope you don't wear your skirts too short.
    :chillpill: (or I'll post a pic of me in a short skirt. :p)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Probably not without ripping the console out.

They make models that go under your seat as well (not a Fort Knox).

3722_2_lg.jpg

I'm sure you can open it without getting out if you move your legs.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Just as a discussion/consideration point, it's becoming more and more common for thieves to carry cordless angle grinders.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yet another reason GFZs suck, and should be completely eliminated. My gun is at it's safest point ON MY HIP!

:+1:

Yeah, kinda stupid to have to remove your gun to go to the post office.
    But for some reason it's fine if you take it to the bakery next to that post office.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can you carry in France?

Yes of course, but not nesessarily carry legally. :):

Depends who you are and if you know the right people who can deliver you a carry permit.
    It's easier if you know politicians or if you are one yourself.
    A former mayor of Paris used to carry a revolver in his pocket when he had to meet union workers alone.

In most cases it's only for LEOs and some special line of work (money transport and such).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Look at the loop in the OP photo. That is the smaller loop on the other end that you are supposed to pass the larger loop through to secure it to the solid object so it cant walk away.

And yes, even the best safe can be breached if given enough time and the proper tools. This is just another example of somebody doing it wrong and trying to blame the device instead of their error. ...

The pic in the OP is exactly how the instructions for the Stack On version of the box say to secure it. I know what you're saying, about putting the larger loop over the lock hook inside. Just saying, that the directions that come with some of these boxes are actually less than optimal. The boxes are all very similar, if not the same Made in China box, and re-branded/packaged by various brands/labels.

How secure to people expect a sub-$50 box to be? They're child resistant, and smash and grab resistant, but they're not going to withstand even 10 minutes of attack by a determined individual.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    For those of you thinking about putting a vault/safe in your console, have you looked at something like this? I found an old review of it when I was just browsing. Just thought it might be an alternative to actually taking the console out or heavily modifying it.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    For those of you thinking about putting a vault/safe in your console, have you looked at something like this? I found an old review of it when I was just browsing. Just thought it might be an alternative to actually taking the console out or heavily modifying it.

Yep. Was just going to post a link to console vault.

We put 2 of them in our 4runners when we first got them. Very nice units, but not cheap. They bolt through the bottom so they have to be open to remove. I'm sure someone could get in if they had enough time & tools, but it would take a while. Time is the enemy to a thief.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Yep. Was just going to post a link to console vault.

We put 2 of them in our 4runners when we first got them. Very nice units, but not cheap. They bolt through the bottom so they have to be open to remove. I'm sure someone could get in if they had enough time & tools, but it would take a while. Time is the enemy to a thief.

How thick is the metal? Not actual specs, but does it feel sturdy?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Very sturdy. All the edges are rolled under. It fits completely inside the console so the only thing exposed is the top. You would have to rip out the entire center console to get to the body of it. That's not quick or quiet to do and you would need tools. Even so, the unit is still bolted to the floor from the inside.

The steel overlaps around the edges of the lid so you can't get anything inside. The slot where the lock twists is thick as is the actual lock bar.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom