High-tech handgun with 'fingerprint and facial recognition biometrics' only shoots in the hands of authorized users

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    iu
    Oh Bullwinkle, that trick never works…

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    From a tech standpoint I think it's really neat. But I'm also on the "agencies first" team. Y'all feds can roll that out for your own duty weapons and tell me what you think.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have enough trouble getting my phone to recognize my face and unlock quickly. I don't think I want a gun that might take an extra couple seconds to unlock before I could use it.
    Just remember, there is a reason automotive braking systems are not fly by wire.
    Can you imagine approaching a stop sign and due to a glitch, the control computer reboots/resets for 5 seconds?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Oh boy. Another “smart gun”. But this one “really works”.

. "The Biofire Smart Gun shoots like any high-quality firearm, but it also feels like you're holding the future in your hand."

You can take your "future" and cram it straight up your ***.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Didn’t think about that aspect of it. That’s why it’s nice to hear other people’s perspectives.

So yeah, wouldn’t want someone or something else to have control of my firearm.
    Let's not forget how sensors like this can fail, when the hand is covered in blood, sweat, dirt.

And they told us THIS ONE worked great also. Good enough to trust your life on.
    Fired ONCE

There have been other guns that failed.
    One failed when the company was showing it off.
    Can't remember the name, started with an A.
    Armetrex or something like that.
    :dunno:

So, this gun is good for 'hours'...
    And then?
    Well, then it's a brick.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Here's some reasons against smart guns...

Such as, politicians have already said that once it's available, you will have to replace your guns with the smart guns.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I trust that about as much as I trust one of those convenience store hot dogs which has been on the rollers for 9-10 days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, found it.
    Armatix

Not very smart though.
    All your kid needs is a magnet.

So if you forget to wear your watch, or if you have the gun but not the watch, you'd need to carry a "holster" for your magnetic wand and apply it after you'd have drawn and are confronting an attacker? Yeah, that would go well.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Let's not forget how sensors like this can fail, when the hand is covered in blood, sweat, dirt.

And they told us THIS ONE worked great also. Good enough to trust your life on.
    Fired ONCE

There have been other guns that failed.
    One failed when the company was showing it off.
    Can't remember the name, started with an A.
    Armetrex or something like that.
    :dunno:

So, this gun is good for 'hours'...
    And then?
    Well, then it's a brick.
    You, and everyone else, make a good point. Thanks for educating me on it. It is a good idea in theory but now that I’ve been educated more on the topic, not so much.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Yeah, they definitely need to work the kinks out first but I think they may have something here.

As long as you could program more than one person to it, like your spouse (or maybe not depending on your relationship, lol). That way a kid or the bad guy that may get ahold of it couldn’t shoot it.
    If it's too dark or too much glare to read your face. Or if you're wearing sunglasses or a hat. Or your hands are dirty, bloody or your grip isn't in the right place for it to recognize your fingerprints. God forbid it's cold and you are wearing gloves or shooting weak hand due to injury then you won't be able to shoot it either. Thanks, I'll pass.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just remember, there is a reason automotive braking systems are not fly by wire.
    Can you imagine approaching a stop sign and due to a glitch, the control computer reboots/resets for 5 seconds?
    You think braking systems are not fly-by-wire? Watch this video.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I trust that about as much as I trust one of those convenience store hot dogs which has been on the rollers for 9-10 days.
    Funny story…

One day I was at a well known gas station in this area, Thornton’s, getting my daily Polar Pop. I see this kid about 8yrs old or so who was obviously hungry and I guess thought the items on the rollers were free for the taking. He reached over and grabbed a hotdog/sausage or whatever, went to take a bite and realized it was too hot to hold any longer so threw it right back where he got it from! He looked around to see if anyone noticed (didn’t see me) and took off. :lmfao: Of course I informed the employee.

I’ve never been appealed to the stuff on the rollers at a gas station that anyone can do whatever to, but I’m definitely not after seeing that! Just reassured my skepticism. HaHa

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You think braking systems are not fly-by-wire? Watch this video.
    Most arent. Most are still master cylinder and mechanical. I wont drive a fancy new car that is testing fly by wire braking. Nope.
    But listen closely to that video. the engine is revving. He isnt killing braking, he's overriding the brake by adding throttle. I'd call that a bit of sleight of hand/dishonest journalism to sell the panic. I'm sure if she stood on that pedal it would have stopped.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Most arent. Most are still master cylinder and mechanical. I wont drive a fancy new car that is testing fly by wire braking. Nope.
    But listen closely to that video. the engine is revving. He isnt killing braking, he's overriding the brake by adding throttle. I'd call that a bit of sleight of hand/dishonest journalism to sell the panic. I'm sure if she stood on that pedal it would have stopped.
    I see what you are saying but it doesn't sound right to me. If he were overriding the brake it should rev exactly when she is pressing the brake pedal. It doesn't sound right and sounds like it revs more when she stops even trying to brake. Of course maybe the sound isn't synchronized well but that screws up the arguments both for and against overriding.

Here is some propaganda for brake-by-wire.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You, and everyone else, make a good point. Thanks for educating me on it. It is a good idea in theory but now that I’ve been educated more on the topic, not so much.
    Many of us have been following this stuff for decades.

That's why we are in the ... not one more inch... category.
    We kept giving up ground.
    And the anti-s would keep taking it. It never stopped.

Also, most are okay with the idea of a 'smart' gun.
    As long as it isn't FORCED on us.
    But politicians have already stated they would force it.
    New Jersey and California come to mind.
    They have specifically stated that they intend to require all guns be 'smart'.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Yeah, they definitely need to work the kinks out first but I think they may have something here.

As long as you could program more than one person to it, like your spouse (or maybe not depending on your relationship, lol). That way a kid or the bad guy that may get ahold of it couldn’t shoot it.

As long as the battery doesn't die, the terminals don't corrode, the computer doesn't lock up, or the sensors/camera don't get dirty, it may work fine.

All of my experience with fingerprint sensors and facial recognition security systems says this is a bad idea. And that's if it's working to spec.

Top Bottom