• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Here's a pre-written letter that you can email to your own State Representative to encourage them to co-sponsor HB 1144:

Dear Representative (insert name):

Please cosponsor and support House Bill 1144, introduced Rep. Jim Lucas (R).

The concept of “constitutional carry” is simple: An individual's ability to exercise his or her Second Amendment rights shouldn't depend on a “permit” from the government.

You don't need a government license to write a book. So why should you have to get the government's okay in order to carry a firearm to protect yourself and your family?

Currently, Americans in Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, Arizona, Arkansas, and most of Montana can carry a firearm without a government license. Lest anyone fail to notice, these are not exactly high-crime areas as a result of their diligence for the constitutional rights of their citizens. In fact, these are some of the safest places in America.

House Bill 1144 would add Indiana to that illustrious list of Constitution-loving states.

Make no mistake about it. Under House Bill 1144, if a criminal carried a gun in connection with a crime, he has committed a crime and is going to prison.

But that's just the point: If law enforcement is allowed to focus on the “bad guys,” rather than the enforcement of silly counter-productive, unconstitutional nitpicking, crime will go down.

Crime will also go down if criminals have to consider the possibility that their victims could be armed and could shoot back. It's no surprise that the “dog that didn't bark” -- the mass murders that were planned but never occurred -- happened in places like the Appalachian School of Law or Pearl High School in Mississippi. In these places, citizens with guns stopped horrific crimes.

Indiana could soon join them on the list of states where people are allowed to exercise their constitutional rights to protect themselves without asking “May I?” from the government.

Again, please cosponsor HB 1144.

Sincerely,

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For some reason the leadership in the house has decided to not act upon this or HB1143. I've read that the speaker has decided to concentrate on fiscal bills this year, those discussed in interim meetings, and that these gun bills were "sprung" on them and there wasn't adequate time to vet them:n00b:

Also write to the speaker and committe chair Dermody tell put these back on the table.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    For some reason the leadership in the house has decided to not act upon this or HB1143. I've read that the speaker has decided to concentrate on fiscal bills this year, those discussed in interim meetings, and that these gun bills were "sprung" on them and there wasn't adequate time to vet them:n00b:

I tried to tell ya'll that in the other thread. Legislators have known for months it was going to be "fiscal only." The fact that it was "fiscal only" certainly wasn't sprung on anyone. It was no surprise to anybody. I've known about it for months. Anyone bringing forward a bill about a non-fiscal matter knew that it was DOA and is either (a) trying to make a statement, (b) test the waters for a future bill, or (c) trying to capture votes for the next election in a conservative state. Told ya.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I just fired off an e-mail to my rep. It's time to crash their servers with HB1144 e-mails!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Its not Dermody. Its Bosma. The Speaker wants to avoid as much controversy as possible to prepare for his future run for Governor.
    I'd say that's a very good assessment. I want a governor that has balls and upholds his whole oath to the constitution though. Not just picks and chooses which parts are best for his personal gain. I'm not anti bosma yet but he has some work to do to convince me who he really is

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I tried to tell ya'll that in the other thread. Legislators have known for months it was going to be "fiscal only." The fact that it was "fiscal only" certainly wasn't sprung on anyone. It was no surprise to anybody. I've known about it for months. Anyone bringing forward a bill about a non-fiscal matter knew that it was DOA and is either (a) trying to make a statement, (b) test the waters for a future bill, or (c) trying to capture votes for the next election in a conservative state. Told ya.
    ?????????

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Sir,
    I regret to inform you that your post is so entirely filled with fecal matter as to be completely worthless. You see... every other year is a "fiscal (bills) year", and lo and behold, we've passed numerous good gun bills in several of the last few of those years. Further, it seems odd to me that while you say you've known about this for months, oddly enough, the legislators did not.

No, sir, the fact that these bills are not being heard on the House side, but good gun bills ARE getting heard on the Senate side tells me that it's not a statewide thing, which "fiscal" certainly is. This is a Bosma thing. Brian Bosma is the Speaker of the House in Indiana, and in past years, he's been quite friendly to our rights. This year, for whatever reason, he has chosen to bypass us for other matters. One member suggested he's planning a run for Governor, perhaps when Gov. Pence makes a run for the White House.

In another thread, I asked you, when you defamed our legislators, what you had done for our ability to lawfully exercise our gun rights. You did not answer me. I might chalk that up to doing drive-by posts, just tossing something on the wall to see if it sticks, but you did, in fact, return to that thread, and still you did not answer.

Your behavior is that of a troll. This is in violation of the very few rules this site has, all of which you indicated agreement to by continuing to log in after various changes. You've obviously been a member long enough to know that trolling is not and has never been permitted here.

You may take this as a strong suggestion to modify that behavior. The other option is that if you do not, the mod staff will.

Blessings,
    Bill

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Non fiscal bills have lowest priority so they are likely to have no action taken on them since they are not high enough on the priority list.

Of course that can change is enough people contact their respective legislators. If it becomes a priority for their constituents it will be important for them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Non fiscal bills have lowest priority so they are likely to have no action taken on them since they are not high enough on the priority list.

Of course that can change is enough people contact their respective legislators. If it becomes a priority for their constituents it will be important for them.

Just being silly, but maybe we should start planning for the next session now?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

No offense, but I'd like to see some verification of this info. Do you have any links to back these statements up?

If this is true, it seems as though we have been played?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From our friends at IMAGC. If you haven't written or called Bosma/Demody/Your Rep, please do.
    POST LINK to IMAGC latest w/ sample letter: https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/758798937545337

Feb 4 Draft Letter – IGA House Public Policy Comm. #NRA #GOA #SCC #CampusCarry #ConstitutionalCarry #2A

I sent (more or less) the sample letter below to Speaker Bosma and Representative Dermody, Chair of the House Public Policy Committee. Rep. Dermody is the key, but the most prevalent influence over his decision on what to hear within the House, would be the speaker.
    Speaker Bosma: 800-382-9841 or 317-232-9677 -- h88@iga.in.gov --
    Rep Dermody: 800-382-9841 or 317-232-9850 -- h20@iga.in.gov --

Time is nearly out; there are only 2 more weeks to get a hearing, and next week’s agenda has already been posted (and it is noted in the letter). We encourage you to voice your support for these bills; and to do so strongly, we also ask that you remain polite and on fact with the legislators and their staff members.

On a footnote from last evenings post: SB 433 “Shotguns” – did pass the senate with a vote of 44 to 6. It now moves to the House; and likely to the Public Policy Committee. Thus are need to continue to voice our cause there.

Thank you all for the support, and continued calls to legislators. Please continue to Like, Comment and Share our posts. You’re grass roots action is our greatest strength.

--- BB3

Sample Letter:

Mr. Dermody and Speaker Bosma,

I am writing again in support of and to urge your support of HB 1143, HB 1144, and the other 5 bills which protect and strengthen Hoosier's rights with regards to arms, and which are stuck waiting a hearing in the house Public Policy Committee.

I have read Mr. Dermody’s comments on his reasoning for not granting any of these matters a hearing in an article published by “Campus Reform” (link following signature); I have also heard similar statements via other on-line sources. In the article, Mr. Dermody is quoted stating that he was focusing on legislation from the summer interim study session and those with a “significant fiscal impact”. “Gaming” is the noted objective of the summer study session, yet only 1 of the 9 bills that have been or are on the schedule agenda through February 11, 2015 are related to this subject. The other 8 bills are all related to the sale of alcohol. A similar check on “fiscal impact”, by reviewing the fiscal impact statements filed with each bill on-line, shows that most of these are very limited to their anticipated fiscal impact.

Per my reading of these statements, the “net” impact fiscally, the balance between revenue and expenditures, for the state for most of the bills is that they will not generally provide a significant increase in revenue to a greater degree than the increase in expenditures to properly administer the changes. In several cases, the net gain in revenue is due to fines and violations. One would hope that “ideally” – there are no fines or violations, while knowing that some fines are going to occur. It seems that basing the state budgetary numbers on the estimate of fines and violations is inconsistent with the idea that most citizens are law abiding and it is also a bit like gaming, since this is not guaranteed income; unless the plan is to make everyone a criminal.

The political double-speak is the only “Gaming” I see occurring here, by not hearing HB 1143, in particular, or HB 1144 or the any of the other arms related measures. Your decision forces people to continue to gamble between their safety, their education and their career. What risk do they choose: the risk to go unarmed or the risk to end their career or education? We have seen repeatedly, that criminals will violate these policies; and even laws which limit ONLY the ability of the law abiding citizen to provide for their own safety. Safety, which is not the responsibility or liability of the state or the state agency to provide; as defined by the Supreme Court of the United States and other State’s in their jurisdictions.

HB 1143 should be nearly revenue neutral, provided policies are promptly changed, and enforced according to the state law. HB 1144 could cause some revenue loss to the state budget; yet I would ask: What other right protected by the Constitutions of both Indiana and the United States, must be purchased from the state to be exercised.

By not hearing these or any other legislation relating to arms, you almost appear afraid to lead and prepare for hard issues. To say that this legislation has not been vetted is also a poor excuse; it is nearly identical to legislation introduced several times over the last several years, both by Mr. Lucas, and by others before he began to serve.

There are 38 bills before this committee, 14 of which are alcohol bills; 11 of which are gaming; and 7 are related to arms. Yet of the 9 bills scheduled or heard thus far, 8 are related to minor revisions to the sales of alcohol. Please end the political gamesmanship and double talk. I urge you again to grant one of these measures, in particular HB 1143 and/or HB 1144, a hearing in the House Public Policy Committee before this session ends.

Thank you for your time and service to our great state.

Sincerely,
    YOUR NAME
    YOUR TOWN, INDIANA
    Concerned Citizen;
    Supporter of Indiana Moms Against Gun Control

Link to Campus Reform Article: Lawmaker wants to fight campus sexual assault with concealed carry

Top Bottom