• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Depends on the power of your leaf blower. Stihl for me. I get sticks from my trees in the corners of mine and they blow out. The key is the 45 degree fitting. It is angled to blow under the debris in the gutter and I think it works great. I think I spent maybe $20 on it so you won’t be out much if you think it sucks. But I think you’ll find it works well!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I built this from pvc pipe, 1-90, 1-45, and a Fernco coupling to add to my blower. When it’s had time to dry out, I will blow out the gutters clean in 10 minutes. I got rid of my guards and find this is the easiest method.View attachment 147011
    I do this. Last estimate for the only gutter cover I considered was $3600. And it's only about 75' of gutter. I replied to their estimate that I could hire a high school kid for $50 twice a year for the next 36 years and they could go fly a kite.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I just put these up recently, well the 5" version atleast. I have the same issue having to clean the gutters at every storm. Have a big locust, silver maple, pin oak, couple cherries, it was a pain. I haven't had them the on but about a month maybe, but it was during the time the locust was making a mess. After the recent storms I got up and checked and the gutters were clear and never overflowed. The pollen was thick on the mesh, but didn't get through ( yet, time will tell). An offer for a free brush head comes in the box, and I thought they were reasonably priced.

I can get some pics if you want to see anything.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Has anyone tried the foam blocks? Water runs through the foam but debris just sits on top until it's blown off. I have both maples and sweet gums (so helicopters and spikey balls) and this topic interests me.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had the foam blocks on a house I recently sold. Stuff would stick on top and I even had what looked like little trees sprouting up there, but the water kept flowing through. Seemed to work.

I just cleaned an inch of mud out of one of the gutters on my new house. Not sure how that happened unless the previous owner just never cleaned it. We'll see what happens now...

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Through my google-fu over a couple years, it depends on your environment. Big leaves, v tiny s**t, v mossy, etc.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I have leaf relief micro mesh on one corner of my house and worked great until we cut the tree down. In the back I've been meaning to get the menards or costco version of the micro mesh but I've been too lazy so I've been paying someone to clean the 2nd story.

I've thought about the leaf blower idea but I figure it would be hard to control for the 2nd story. also I my screened in porch would make it hard to reach part of the roof.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Has anyone tried the foam blocks? Water runs through the foam but debris just sits on top until it's blown off. I have both maples and sweet gums (so helicopters and spikey balls) and this topic interests me.
    I had tried some foam block style beforehand and they didn't last through the summer. Was full of debris and stuff growing out of them, but the sun is what ultimately finished them off and they were just broken chunks. I also tried the expanded metal round things that just stuck into the drain holes, didn't work for me either.

I didn't have very high dollar ones so I don't know if they have better ones out there that would last longer.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I just put these up recently, well the 5" version atleast. I have the same issue having to clean the gutters at every storm. Have a big locust, silver maple, pin oak, couple cherries, it was a pain. I haven't had them the on but about a month maybe, but it was during the time the locust was making a mess. After the recent storms I got up and checked and the gutters were clear and never overflowed. The pollen was thick on the mesh, but didn't get through ( yet, time will tell). An offer for a free brush head comes in the box, and I thought they were reasonably priced.

Does the micro mesh overflow in a heavy rain? Do leaves, twigs, etc get trapped on it and create a "bridge" for the water to overflow?

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis

I've seen the foam / sponge blocks on several homes and they basically act like a small garden. It seems like they attract dirt, seeds, and water; then when plants start to grow it is literally like a flower box.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I use something similar to that. It keeps the bulky junk out of the gutters but smaller junk get through. But it washes on out and doesn't clog up the down spouts. When the leaves are falling it will pile up and I would use my power washer to spray it off. Now I'm going to try that blower attachment Hoosier carry posted.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Does the micro mesh overflow in a heavy rain? Do leaves, twigs, etc get trapped on it and create a "bridge" for the water to overflow?
    Stuff does get trapped on it, but it doesn't appear to create a bridge at least not yet. They were covered in thick yellow mass From the locust before the last round of storms also. I do have an upper level and the way those round fed into them overwhelmed them at that location. I changed that and gave it more distance to run on the shingles to disperse it before it reaches the mesh and that appears to have helped. Did that during the storm times so it's not quite proven yet.

The brush head they give you is to clean off the guards from the ground, but I haven't used it to see if it works.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    mine has only overflowed a few times in the last 6 or so years. It's only happens for a few minutes or less during the heaviest part of a storm. The normal everyday rains no overflowing at all.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Stuff does get trapped on it, but it doesn't appear to create a bridge at least not yet. They were covered in thick yellow mass From the locust before the last round of storms also. I do have an upper level and the way those round fed into them overwhelmed them at that location. I changed that and gave it more distance to run on the shingles to disperse it before it reaches the mesh and that appears to have helped. Did that during the storm times so it's not quite proven yet.

The brush head they give you is to clean off the guards from the ground, but I haven't used it to see if it works.

I'm going to try the micro mesh from costco. Thanks for the input!

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside

I also have a large locust. I love the shade it provides on the back patio but I'll never have another. The amount of stuff it drops is ridiculous.

Top Bottom