• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My dad put on guards exactly like these about 20 years ago and they are doing great. His house is pretty much surrounded by trees so they are definitely put to the test.
    Drop-In-Gutter-Guard-1-2.png

https://www.lynchaluminum.com/product/6-drop-in-gutter-guard/

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Here is a couple of pics to show the brush head and the size of the mesh. They do have instructions to not instal them perfectly flat with the pitch, but to put a lil bend in to slow the water View attachment 147033View attachment 147034
    The ones I have is more if a grate so it catches the water good but it also allows small twigs etc in. But keeps the leaves and bigger stuff out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I also have a large locust. I love the shade it provides on the back patio but I'll never have another. The amount of stuff it drops is ridiculous.
    I've got a large honey locust in the new to us house, that is very near the back of the house. I'd agree, if it were me who planted that thing 20 years ago, I'd be kicking my own butt. That thing drops a ridiculous amount of stuff all through spring, summer, and fall.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My dad put on guards exactly like these about 20 years ago and they are doing great. His house is pretty much surrounded by trees so they are definitely put to the test.
    Drop-In-Gutter-Guard-1-2.png

https://www.lynchaluminum.com/product/6-drop-in-gutter-guard/
    The previous owner of our house installed something very similar to this but without the nice track that contains the edge. With the honey locust, it still drops stuff that gets into the gutter it seems and messing with that guard without the edging will slice your hands up in a heartbeat, plus it's just a pain to get back on the gutter properly without the edging. It hampers me being able to blow it out very well with my blower.

I got a bunch of stuff out of them the first season we were here. Hopefully if I try and keep it maintained and blow it off the top of it each season, it won't be so bad going forward.

The house has extensive underground drainage tubing, but I did have to replace some of it this past year with shorter individual runs that didn't tie into one another so much as several of them were either root clogged or the tubing had been broken underground, etc. Seems to have helped as well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Are big Locus trees worth anything for the wood? Mine is huge, and I'll bet there's a bunch of cool grain in it.

I use black locus for fence posts and lumber for outdoor projects because it doesn't rot fast. If you cut it down take it to a local saw mill and keep the lumber for projects you want to last a long time.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well, actually I'm hoping we didn't kill it by cutting a major root that was causing issues for an underground sprinkler line. Probably won't know until next year.

That thing will probably cost me some bucks to get taken out and I can imagine that the getting the stump ground would be a major issue as well given that there are sprinkler lines, deck and lighting all very, very close to it. If I were to proactively take it down (wife would not be too happy), I can imagine it would be part of a larger complete deck replacement, etc project, which would be major $$$

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have had three different types of gutter guards. Had two that were mesh type that sucked. Clogged and tough to clean off.

When I was having my roof replaced I asked my friend who used to own part of Bone Dry Roofing what he would do. They use this stuff that is best described as a cheese grater.

Works great and no need to unclog ever. The only thing i ever do is shoot the blower up when there are tons of oak flowers that accumulate but i don't even need to do that. a big enough rain or wind will usually clear that off the roof. just looks bad to me.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have had three different types of gutter guards. Had two that were mesh type that sucked. Clogged and tough to clean off.

When I was having my roof replaced I asked my friend who used to own part of Bone Dry Roofing what he would do. They use this stuff that is best described as a cheese grater.

Works great and no need to unclog ever. The only thing i ever do is shoot the blower up when there are tons of oak flowers that accumulate but i don't even need to do that. a big enough rain or wind will usually clear that off the roof. just looks bad to me.

Can you post a pic or a link to a specific product please.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Is this it?
    Do you know anyone locally who installs it?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't know the brand of these gutter screens, as they were already here when I bought the house.
    But we've been here over 5 years, there are Silver Maple trees around, and I've NEVER had to clean the gutters or anything.
    They've worked really well for us.

GutterScreensCrop1.jpg

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I do this. Last estimate for the only gutter cover I considered was $3600. And it's only about 75' of gutter. I replied to their estimate that I could hire a high school kid for $50 twice a year for the next 36 years and they could go fly a kite.
    I had some crazy high estimates like that when we were getting the house re-roofed/gutters.

My house is 2 stories and surrounded by maples so I really wanted them.

When the guy who ended up doing it came out for the estimate, I asked for the gutter guards only on the 2nd story, leave them off the 1 story garage and breezeway. We was like, why? I told him about some of the estimates I'd got previously. He said I'll put them everywhere and my price for leaf guards, gutters, and downspouts will be less than the other guy's price of just the leaf guards.

I don't remember his price, but it was dramatically cheaper than the other estimates. I'm sure my bill for 100+ feet of gutters, covers, and downspouts was less than your $3600 estimate. Mine are the perforated aluminum ones, IIR the brand was Leaf Relief. They work like a champ.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Subscribed. Interested in others replies since I have a 2600 square-foot sprawling ranch on a partially wooded lot.

getting tired of the never ending fun of cleaning my gutter system

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I had some crazy high estimates like that when we were getting the house re-roofed/gutters.

My house is 2 stories and surrounded by maples so I really wanted them.

When the guy who ended up doing it came out for the estimate, I asked for the gutter guards only on the 2nd story, leave them off the 1 story garage and breezeway. We was like, why? I told him about some of the estimates I'd got previously. He said I'll put them everywhere and my price for leaf guards, gutters, and downspouts will be less than the other guy's price of just the leaf guards.

I don't remember his price, but it was dramatically cheaper than the other estimates. I'm sure my bill for 100+ feet of gutters, covers, and downspouts was less than your $3600 estimate. Mine are the perforated aluminum ones, IIR the brand was Leaf Relief. They work like a champ.

Don't keep his name a secret! :):

Please post it or DM it. :cheers:

Top Bottom