• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Then why don't you call it in right now? Do it hero. Give the cops the description of this dirtbag before he hurts somebody.

It's not for you to decide who represents free men and gun owners.

Let me guess, You: dress in Versace', Polo, and or Tommy Hillfeger. Wear a Rolex. Drive shiney F150. You're good. Stay classy.

You don't represent me. You do represent something though. We don't live in caste system.

Right on dude!!! Defending the "trashy" guy gets your wristed slapped by a MOD. :yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    As I was walking down the street one day
    A man came up to me and asked me what
    The gun was that was on my hip, yeah...And I said

(I don't) Does anybody really know what gun it is
    (Care) Does anybody really care (about license)
    If so I can't imagine why (Oh no, no)
    We've all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
    A pretty lady looked at me
    And said her gold Taurus had jammed cold dead...And I said

(Care) Does anybody really care (about a permit)
    If so I can't imagine why (Oh no, no)
    We've all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
    Being pushed and shoved by people trying to
    Call the LEO, oh, no a MWAG
    I don't know, and I said, yes I said

(Background:)
    People runnin' everywhere
    Don't know where to go
    Don't know where I am
    Can't see past the next step
    Don't have time to think past the last mile
    Have no time to look around
    Just run around, run around and think why

(Care) Does anybody really care (about a pink slip)
    If so I carry Mexican
    We've all got time enough to die

Apologies to Chicago

You are now my number 1 ingo hero

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Screw you! Who are you to say who can and can not defend there self? What if i get a few people to say we dont like the things your doing and take away your right. And asking for a right from the state is saying that its not a right. Don't need the State to grant you your rights.

I understand your sentiment, but you might want to tone down your choice of words a bit with your opening sentence. If your point is to attack someone, you're doing great. If your point is to clearly articulate your point of view in a manner that will elicit a favorable response and, hopefully, a changing of their position, this may not be the best approach.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I'd bet anything if he was carrying with no holster and showing off like that he indeed had no LTCH... I never show off what I'm carrying, ever!

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Screw you! Who are you to say who can and can not defend there self? What if i get a few people to say we dont like the things your doing and take away your right. And asking for a right from the state is saying that its not a right. Don't need the State to grant you your rights.

LOL, WUT?!?

Tryin to hit that 50?

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I stopped at a Speedway on the Eastside of Indianapolis and went inside for a drink. At the time I was open carrying a Glock 26 in a thumb break holster on my hip. As I was in the checkout line a trashy looking white guy walks up to me and asked what I was carrying and yada yada yada... the guy ends up pulling up his shirt to show me a bodyguard .380 tucked in the front of his pants (no holster). I said "Oh, you've got a license to carry?" and the guy says "LOL WUT?." At that point I pretty much ended the conversation, paid for the drink, and left. Would you have called the police on this guy? I didn't, but am thinking I should have.

In Speedway? Mexican carrying?

hmmmmm.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Ok, first of all, the LTCH is not required to carry a handgun in Indiana. Other states licenses/permits are also acceptable. The first questions is, assuming you don't know this person, is his state of residency/prior states of residency. My fiance, for example, is looking to get Kentucky's version, but if you asked about a LTCH or even a "license to carry a handgun," she would absolutely say no, because she would have her CCW.

That out of the way, assuming he is an Indiana resident, we return to your question of whether or not you should report him. This is not a legal question because, to my knowledge, there is no mandatory reporting statute for posession of a handgun without a license like there is for child abuse, etc. This becomes an ethical question, which because we all have our own ethical codes, is gonna have to be your call. My thought is this- if the gentleman you met had his weapon in an IWB holster, would you have asked to see his LTCH or suspected he was carrying without. It seems to me like you are basing most of your assessment of his fitness to carry a weapon on his appearance. While I think Leash was a little harsh, his point may have some truth to it. We do stereotype people, and we tend to think more highly of people who are more affluent than those who are less affluent. However, as we all well know, evil people are pretty evenly distributed between all social classes.

Were it me, I would not report based on what you have presented, since it seems to be mostly bias towards his appearance and lack of training, which is not required by IN for an LTCH. Just my opinion, which when added to $1.07 will get you a coke at McDonalds.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    [STRIKE]This thread is being reviewed. It may reopen. It may not.[/STRIKE]

Ladies and gents,

Let's cool it down a little bit here. WAY back on post #16, VUPDBlue issued an in-thread warning, though he didn't use that exact phrase (nor did he have to- his intent was clear, at least to me and a few other posters.)

Then I start seeing insults thrown... Admittedly, "Screw" is a far less-impolite word than could have been used. I appreciate the attempt at decreasing the uncivility. Here's the thing, though, and those who've been around a while probably know what I'm going to say here:

We can disagree without being disagreeable.

If that line above is not true, then my suggestion is "don't post", or at least, don't post right now, whenever "now" happens to be that you can't remain civil.

Bruenor said it very well:
    I understand your sentiment, but you might want to tone down your choice of words a bit with your opening sentence. If your point is to attack someone, you're doing great. If your point is to clearly articulate your point of view in a manner that will elicit a favorable response and, hopefully, a changing of their position, this may not be the best approach.

I have deleted no posts. I have not banned anyone. Yet. Just so no one is left confused, :mods:this is the clarified in-thread warning:mods:. Any further posts of an insulting nature will not be looked upon kindly, and I'd expect at a minimum some INGO vacations to be earned if that happens.

Please don't put us in the position of having to do that. Thanks.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    As has been stated, he has no responsibility to provide it to the OP or anyone else who is not lawfully authorized to ask for it. He does not have to prove to the OP that he is not breaking the law.

and I never said he DID have the responsibility to prove he had a LTCH or not. It was continually being said he was not breaking the law, in my post you can clearly see I say IF. This is not me saying he is breaking the law, I was providing a law that shows why the OP believed the guy was carrying illegally. It is not my place to determine, nor would I even attempt to determine if he was or wasn't. Not my place.

Originally Posted by MrsGungho
    if he did not have a license to carry he was carrying a firearm illegally

Tauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    I stopped at a Speedway on the Eastside of Indianapolis and went inside for a drink. At the time I was open carrying a Glock 26 in a thumb break holster on my hip. As I was in the checkout line a trashy looking white guy walks up to me and asked what I was carrying and yada yada yada... the guy ends up pulling up his shirt to show me a bodyguard .380 tucked in the front of his pants (no holster). I said "Oh, you've got a license to carry?" and the guy says "LOL WUT?." At that point I pretty much ended the conversation, paid for the drink, and left. Would you have called the police on this guy? I didn't, but am thinking I should have.

No, you should not have called the cops. Why would you?!?!?!? Strange. And "trashy looking"?!?!?!?!? Gee whiz, give it a rest. We, citizens, are not here to play pseudo-cops, which is what this crosses into the territory of.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    My concern is when someone says it is his "duty" to report it when he sees someone breaking the law. That is some scary stuff right there. One of the ways that totalitarian governments keep their grip is by having citizens report each other. The KGB, Stazi and Gestapo all used those tactics. I am sure the same thing goes on in North Korea, China, et al. WOW! Welcome to Amerika.
    I am assuming you are focusing your statement on this senario only, and are not including seeing someone breaking into your neighbors house or a coworkers car. I would feel obligated to report something like that, as I would want someone to call the police if they saw someone breaking into my house or car.

At most I would warn him of his choice, if in fact he was not licensed to carry a gun.

Just a thought for those who think it is completely wrong to even think about calling it in. What if he happened to be a convicted felon, who later shot and killed someone and you could have stopped it by simply having the police check his license.

If I cared about someone calling MWAG on me I wouldn't OC or CC. There is always going to be someone who doesn't agree with our choice to carry, deal with it or don't carry at all.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I am assuming you are focusing your statement on this senario only, and are not including seeing someone breaking into your neighbors house or a coworkers car. I would feel obligated to report something like that, as I would want someone to call the police if they saw someone breaking into my house or car.

At most I would warn him of his choice, if in fact he was not licensed to carry a gun.

Just a thought for those who think it is completely wrong to even think about calling it in. What if he happened to be a convicted felon, who later shot and killed someone and you could have stopped it by simply having the police check his license.

If I cared about someone calling MWAG on me I wouldn't OC or CC. There is always going to be someone who doesn't agree with our choice to carry, deal with it or don't carry at all.

Is it impossible for people to mind their own damn business anymore? You think a convicted felon contemplating murder is going to flash his illegally possessed pistol to a stranger in public just to show he has one to so they can be buds?

Is it your responsibility to prevent all crimes committed by people who are or were previously in your presence? Get a life.

Oh and BTW if that dude kept his mouth shut (like he should) a cop is not going to be searching him for a pistol that you claim to have seen on him, there is no RAS for a crime.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I personally draw the line where someone's activities infringe upon another's rights, including property rights. If what you are doing is harmless to anyone but yourself, go for it.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Is it impossible for people to mind their own damn business anymore? You think a convicted felon contemplating murder is going to flash his illegally possessed pistol to a stranger in public just to show he has one to so they can be buds?

Is it your responsibility to prevent all crimes committed by people who are or were previously in your presence? Get a life.

Oh and BTW if that dude kept his mouth shut (like he should) a cop is not going to be searching him for a pistol that you claim to have seen on him, there is no RAS for a crime.

Your right convicted felons don't do anything stupid! What was i thinking.:n00b:

I never stated I would report him, just warn him of his folly!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I personally draw the line where someone's activities infringe upon another's rights, including property rights. If what you are doing is harmless to anyone but yourself, go for it.
    Thats what I was clarifying. I agree his choice only hurts himself, but I would have concerns about his overall responsibility with a firearm. There was a recent post about a man with no holster having an AD and almost shooting an innocent child. Irresponsibility with a gun = people getting hurt. Sometimes it is just him other times it is an innocent bystander.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Feel free, but I'm not a LEO...therefore, not my job to enforce the laws of the state or even see that they get enforced. While you are free to pursue that avenue should you choose - though based on the OP, there is no reason to believe a law is being broken other than the OP being blown off.

If no visible harm is being done to another or his property, I'm going on about my business. I'll not join the "report thy neighbor" crowd every time my spidey senses might tingle, and especially not because I want to ensure a tax/fee enforcement action, as you apparently do.

Call me selfish if you want, but if I see your plates expired and discover through conversation that you don't give a crap, cheat on your taxes, don't pay child support, etc., I'm going to 'tell on you'.

Also, to clarify my perspective, if I were in the situation I would:

1) Clarify that he does indeed not have a LTCH with a "you know it's illegal if you don't have a LTCH, right?" or similar query. Everyone seems to think that I would just report him based on one (possibly misheard) question when he was just trying to make small talk.

2) Figure out if he honestly doesn't know or just doesn't care. I'm not going to report someone who didn't know. I'm also not reporting someone who explains to me that they carry without license as a form of political activism. I AM reporting someone who is just doing it because they are lazy or want to save a few bucks (or are not eligible to receive a license... like a felon maybe...).

Do you really want a leftist anti-gun nut to be the one who does the cops on him?

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    My concern is when someone says it is his "duty" to report it when he sees someone breaking the law. That is some scary stuff right there. One of the ways that totalitarian governments keep their grip is by having citizens report each other. The KGB, Stazi and Gestapo all used those tactics. I am sure the same thing goes on in North Korea, China, et al. WOW! Welcome to Amerika.

There's a difference between reporting someone for possessing a Bible and reporting them for say, driving without a license.

I'm sure none of us would report him based on his appearance, but only on the issue at hand.

That made me think: how many of you would support people not getting drivers licenses because the government has no right to keep them off the roads?

Top Bottom