• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If a nice gun is on the table, do you think it actually gets destroyed.
    Gramma brings down the old Gov. issue that gramps carried in the big one and gets her $50 bucks. I just have a problem thinking someone is not taking that one home with them. It has happened before. Just saying.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Gramma brings down the old Gov. issue that gramps carried in the big one and gets her $50 bucks. I just have a problem thinking someone is not taking that one home with them. It has happened before. Just saying.
    I hope someone would be smart enough to "borrow" it.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

I posted a news story of one such instance on this thread.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "Bogart" is correct.

I don't know what it refers to now, but in my young LEO days in the ghetto, it was a verb meaning to thrust yourself where you're not wanted in an aggressive manner, a la Humphrey Bogart.

Back at the temple, it meant to hog the joint rather than passing it on to the others.

*gong sounds*

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You guys are aware that there are metro police that like guns? You think they weren't following this thread from the get go? You really think they weren't waiting for someone to bogard the line looking to keep them from recording sellers info? Think deeper than what has been going on here. This was a big fat set-up for dumb crooks. You know, the kind that think they have hit the lottery. Please be nice to one another. We are of differing opinions on the same facts.

"Bogart" is correct.

I don't know what it refers to now, but in my young LEO days in the ghetto, it was a verb meaning to thrust yourself where you're not wanted in an aggressive manner, a la Humphrey Bogart.

I believe it to mean more or less the same thing, not just in LEO lingo but in commonly accepted language :)

That is why I take issue with BGDave describe an individual buying guns near a gun buyback as a Bogart.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While I do not know for sure, but I will bet you a dollar for a donut there were some nice firearms being bought "back" for 50 bucks.

How in the heck can someone who knows about firearms give 50 dollars to a person when they know the firearm is worth 500 dollars? That is not right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I do not know for sure, but I will bet you a dollar for a donut there were some nice firearms being bought "back" for 50 bucks.

How in the heck can someone who knows about firearms give 50 dollars to a person when they know the firearm is worth 500 dollars? That is not right.

I would not sell a mag to those nutjobs for 50 bucks let alone a gun. It is confusing to me as well. I will take your donut and raise you 2 jelly rolls

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland

Frankly, I hope some of the guns are being liberated.

My late father, a Cincinnati Police sergeant, took a voluntary transfer to the evidence/property room. He lasted for a few months and begged to be transferred out.

Unfortunately, not all guns associated with crime are crap. Some of them are actually '73 Winchesters, '97 Winchesters, Lugers, Colt Single Actions, and other classic/collectible/historical pieces.

Ohio law provides little wiggle room. LEO agencies may keep firearms that they can use themselves or cannibalize for parts, and all others MUST be destroyed. Part of the old man's job was to process the paperwork to destroy those firearms and it was killing him. He had to get out.

If some of them end up in some copper's gun safe that's better than the furnace or the crusher.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Frankly, I hope some of the guns are being liberated.

My late father, a Cincinnati Police sergeant, took a voluntary transfer to the evidence/property room. He lasted for a few months and begged to be transferred out.

Unfortunately, not all guns associated with crime are crap. Some of them are actually '73 Winchesters, '97 Winchesters, Lugers, Colt Single Actions, and other classic/collectible/historical pieces.

Ohio law provides little wiggle room. LEO agencies may keep firearms that they can use themselves or cannibalize for parts, and all others MUST be destroyed. Part of the old man's job was to process the paperwork to destroy those firearms and it was killing him. He had to get out.

If some of them end up in some copper's gun safe that's better than the furnace or the crusher.

If someone is silly enough to part with a Winchester or Colt of any kind for $50 if it diverts from the furnace or the band saw I will have to agree even if it is a bit shady. I guess it is jealousy on my part.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm more concerned about our tax dollars paying for the IMPD officers attending this waste of time. That is worth WAY more than the loss of a few collectors items. I weep for the citizens who had their wealth confiscated to provide security for a worthless program

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm more concerned about our tax dollars paying for the IMPD officers attending this waste of time. That is worth WAY more than the loss of a few collectors items. I weep for the citizens who had their wealth confiscated to provide security for a worthless program

Yeah $12,500 worth of taxpayer money--according to WISH TV :rolleyes:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

It just wasn't IMPD officers. I saw a Marion County Deputy, and a ladder company from IFD. A couple of campers, a box truck, and who knows how many marked and unmarked cars. The fuel costs had to be astronomical.

I sat in line for just over 90 minutes, and counted 15 just from IMPD. Of those, 6 sat around on folding metal chairs, doing nothing more than jaw jacking with each ,with radios in their hands.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah $12,500 worth of taxpayer money--according to WISH TV :rolleyes:

So at 90 guns it cost the city $138 per gun turned in. That is a success?

If you believe Georgia Tech's data that it takes 65,000 guns bought back to save a life, this is a solid $9 million per life saved not including the payment to the "donors".

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    So at 90 guns it cost the city $138 per gun turned in. That is a success?

If you believe Georgia Tech's data that it takes 65,000 guns bought back to save a life, this is a solid $9 million per life saved not including the payment to the "donors".
    I'll be the first to admit, my life is not worth $9million. And I'm nowhere near the bottom of the life value chart. :):

Top Bottom