• mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I got the same cookie-cutter response.

Hi mk2ja,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

We understand that this is a sensitive topic, and that some of our customers may not agree with our choice to pause the promotion of firearm-related deals. Groupon has always aimed to offer a diverse range of products and services to meet the various tastes and interests of our subscribers. However, at this time, enough customers and merchants have voiced their opinions that we believe a hiatus is warranted.

Please note that we have never sold guns, and this hiatus only applies to firearm-related deals including shooting ranges, clay pigeon shooting, and concealed weapons training classes. We have not made a final determination regarding this category -- we are simply taking a break and may reevaluate in the future.

Per your request, I've unsubscribed this email address. You will stop receiving Groupon promotional emails within 48 hours. I can also close your account, but I want to be sure you're aware that once it is closed, you will no longer be able to access previously purchased vouchers on Groupon.com, and any existing Groupon Bucks will be voided. Please let me know if you would like to proceed.

We genuinely appreciate your opinion and the feedback you've given us. I'll be sure to share your comments with the appropriate people.

Regards,

DeAndré
    Groupon Customer Support

The theory is that they recognize how many more people ACTUALLY stop supporting them as a result of this than may have complained (which I personally think is quite unlikely—I mean, complaints over having weapons safety training classes??).

As I indicated in my message to them, I am not sure if I would still boycott them if they changed their position. I think I want to reward them for responding to us. But then again, I could argue that since they didn't "stand up for us," they don't deserve our business or they can't be trusted. I dunno. I'm still undecided.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    Response from Groupon to this partner

This is what I sent my sales representative Thank you Guy for putting my thoughts into educated form.

Devin,

It has come to my attention that Groupon has suspended all deals involving firearms - including the promotion of firearms safety training and gun ranges. I find it extremely disappointing that Groupon's reaction to recent incidents of illegal gun violence is to punish those merchants and consumers who want to practice lawful, responsible and safe gun ownership.

As a way of expressing my disapproval of Groupon's newly-announced policy, please understand that I have no intention of entering into any additional promotions with Groupon so long as this policy remains in place. Subject to contractual obligations, Groupon certainly has the right to decide with whom to do business. However, I have the same right, and I will not choose a business partner who so easily ignores the Constitutional rights of others, and blames lawful gun owners for the illegal conduct of criminals and psychopaths.

Please do not contact me again unless and until Groupon has formally and publicly renounced its policy.

Steve

This is the email I received today from my sales rep at groupon.

Hi Steve

I understand and respect your position. We take all customer feedback seriously, so I thought it might be helpful to better explain how we arrived at our decision.

First and foremost, our decision wasn’t political or a statement on the 2nd Amendment. Groupon has always been a reflection of consumers' tastes—in every market, we curate a mix of deals that mirrors subscriber interests and requests. We try to feature what they love and we constantly look for new things to offer them. Last year we began testing firearm-related deals to see if customers liked them. Ultimately they voted, deal by deal, business by business.

While some firearm-related deals performed well, our customers showed significantly less interest in the category over time. And after 8 months of testing, firearms-related deals remained a very small subset of our offering. In recent months, the feedback from both merchants and consumers has been overwhelming and clear. So we listened to them and paused the category indefinitely.

Please know that while we may not be promoting firearm-related deals on our site, we are not making a statement against firearm-related merchants. We have excellent relationships with many of these great small businesses, continue to serve them on our platform via our other service and technology offerings, and genuinely want to see them succeed.

Thank you for your previous support of Groupon and for the opportunity to work with you. I hope we continue to have the privilege of featuring your business on our site.

Best,

Devin

I may accidentally provide his direct email if my arms were twisted ;)

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    LAWSUIT! take them for everything, take the fight directly to them, all these liberal type idiots do is take everyone to court for everything, its time to take the fight directly to them. we are all behind you.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Never used them but dropped a scathing review anyway stating that I never would. I've read a lot of stories about Groupon being that they were a domestic start-up which, by luck, struck it big. Nobody in my house will be utilizing their business model. Ever. How shameful it is to exploit the freedoms and opportunities available in our country only to poop on our national constitution. To all the other non-patrons of Groupon here on INGO: Just because you've never patronized their website doesn't mean you can't disavow their behavior and actions. Your future business is more important than any previous business you've conducted. (They've already got that money.) Please follow the original link to make your statement of disgust.

www.groupon.com/support

-Dobber

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I can't INGO for a living, you know.
    I had to go sell guns to bitterclingers. ;)
    You don't have to sell them - you could give them all to me!?!?! ;)

My message to Groupon:
    I will not support a company that does not support the 2nd amendment.

I do not want a pre-defined cookie cutter response - just close my account and do not contact me again beyond confirming my account is/will be removed.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    I sent my letter to them along with about 5 other friends. We all got the we are sorry bs response. I still have the groupon ap and daily I pic one of the deals, email the company behind that deal about wanting to purchase but refusal to support groupon and their choice to be anti gun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I got their emails for a while, but discontinued that. I have never purchased any groupons, so I'm not aware of what preferences, etc you can setup with a Groupon account, but you would think that they would offer a way to "opt out or in" on the categories you would like to receive, that way those that are "offended" by any particular category could do so, rather than seeking to ban a particular category.

Groupon has definitely made a bad business choice here and they are going to pay for it as they should.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I sent my letter to them along with about 5 other friends. We all got the we are sorry bs response. I still have the groupon ap and daily I pick one of the deals, email the company behind that deal about wanting to purchase but refusal to support groupon and their choice to be anti gun.

BRILLIANT

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Channel 13 just did a deal about the outcry over Groupon's suspension. They went out to ECPR and played with the sign, but instead of having a story about TFT and Guy, they had some other range (I didn't quite catch the name) and went to a firearms trainer in Boone county for their story?

What gives, Guy? Are you not speaking to them in case of pending litigation? Why did you let them play with the sign?

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I received the same response when I informed them of cancelling my subscription.

I've also started posting lists of anti-gun companies on my Facebook page. I started with Groupon and also with a link to the NRA-ILA's online list.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My humble addition to the cause, sent through groupon's support form. I knew of groupon, but never used them.

"Like so many others before me have apparently already done, I just wanted to add my voice concerning your 'hiatus' on gun related deals. As a gun owner, veteran, and law abiding citizen, I'm sure you can figure out my stance. You claim your decision was because of the amount of concern you received from consumers. Well, all of us gun owners are consumers too. You have made your bed.

Please don't patronize me with your canned response. I don't need it, nor any correspondence from your despicable company."

Top Bottom