Good first handgun suggestions for someone with little experience???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • New2Gunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Indy East
    Hey guys just wanting to hear different peoples views on first handgun purchase. Please be specific in why you think a particular gun would be a better first gun than others.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    What do you envision using the gun for? Do you intend to carry? Home defense? Range only? Answers to these questions may narrow the search a bit. If you like a home defense and range gun to start out with and then, maybe later, you can make a more educated decision on a carry gun.

New2Gunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Indy East
    What do you envision using the gun for? Do you intend to carry? Home defense? Range only? Answers to these questions may narrow the search a bit. If you like a home defense and range gun to start out with and then, maybe later, you can make a more educated decision on a carry gun.

im thinking home/range right now

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Training, training, training. Also, who will have access to this gun? You should first think of how you are going to secure said gun lest it fall into the hands of the kiddies or to baddies. You might consider holding of on getting your home defense gun and buying a full size .22 handgun. This will allow you to learn and practice the fundamentals. If you don't want to take that path then I recommend a full size 9mm to start out with. There are a lot of options. You're best bet is to go to a range and rent some different guns and get a feel for what you like. Then make some friends on here and see if you can shoot some of their's. The more research and testing you do before your purchase the more likely you are to be satisfied with it. Training, training, training. Try not to become smitten with anything yet. Get your training, do your research, hold off on the purchase as long as you can. You won't really know what you want until you know a little bit about what the differences are.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Search for the many "what should I get for my first handgun" thread.

My advice in short: take a class that allows you to shoot different guns. The gun you choose at the end may surprise you.

If you want home/range, I'd definitely pick a full size handgun. Easier to shoot, easier to manipulate, less recoil, and a little more powerful.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    I think that a Ruger SR 22 is a good choice to start with. It is reliable, affordable, ammo (if you can find it) is cheap to practice with, fun to shoot, and has many safety features. This allows you to train more without breaking the bank, just like the many have already stated.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Get a good 4" .38/.357 revolver. As to why, it's easy to see the ammo in the cylinder, so you can tell when it's loaded. There are no switches, levers or safeties to learn. You can but a variety of different ammo with different power levels to accomidate your changing experience/comfort level. Low power .38's have very low recoil and noise levels, not intimidating for new shooters. It will be accurate enough for target and range use, home defense, or hunting. Ammo availability is still decent.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Although it's up to you, I agree with Woodsie. You might look at a Ruger SP101, Ruger GP100, or a Smith and Wesson K or L frame. I just bought a S&W 686 in 4".

Last edited:

New2Gunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Indy East
    I think that a Ruger SR 22 is a good choice to start with. It is reliable, affordable, ammo (if you can find it) is cheap to practice with, fun to shoot, and has many safety features. This allows you to train more without breaking the bank, just like the many have already stated.
    How much for a new Sr 22

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Do they have classes in Indianapolis were I could shoot different guns or is renting at range the best option
    You can rent firearms at Beech Grove Firearms, and I've seen people there getting on-range instruction. It's a very nice, clean range to shoot at. I'd check them out.

Education & Safety

If you have a friend or family member who enjoys firearms, see if they'll take you to the range to get some trigger time. You could offer to pay for ammo and range time.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    How much for a new Sr 22

I have an SR 22 that I enjoy very much and it's very fun to shoot. Just checking out a few sites, it looks like the price is about $290 to $350, depending on what style you get. And while I would also recommend that firearm... you're going to have trouble finding ammunition for it. The shelves are bare. If you find a firearm you like in 9mm or .45acp, you *can* find ammo for it, though you'll probably have to visit your local gun store or order online to get some. Wal-mart will be out of stock.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm with "birds away" on this. Take a class first. Any NRA basic pistol class will have a variety of different types of handguns that you will get to SHOOT. Likewise, rental guns: "pop's guns" or...forgive me..."don's guns" will help you narrow the field. Back to a class, knowing the fundamentals of shooting is needed to make a good choice--one that's appropriate for you. I mean, if you don't know what proper grip and proper trigger squeeze is, how do you know if it's too big/small for your hand, and whether the trigger is a good one, or not?
    JMO, if you want a .22 for target shooting, a Ruger or Browning buckmark are hard to beat if you want a semi-auto. If you want a revolver, a S&W k17(?) is probably the 'gold standard'

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Search for the many "what should I get for my first handgun" thread.

My advice in short: take a class that allows you to shoot different guns. The gun you choose at the end may surprise you.

If you want home/range, I'd definitely pick a full size handgun. Easier to shoot, easier to manipulate, less recoil, and a little more powerful.

I'll agree with this. For your POU, full size handgun for sure. The only reason people go smaller is for easier portability and concealability. Then they give up controlability, ammo capacity, more velocity because of the shorter barrel, and a longer sight radius.

Here's where I started in the beginning of my gun years. Your mileage may vary....

Started out with a Ruger P95. Bought it on Inauguration Day '08 with the same needs that you have. Home / Range. High value gun and built like a tank. I later decided I wanted to carry every day. I carried that thing every day for over a year! Did some research in order to fill the niche of a carry gun. I then purchased a Ruger SR9c. GREAT carry gun and it is still my main carry gun to this day. I then wound up selling the P95, (regrettably) in order to fund a full size SR9. SR9 was a great choice and now I can buy one magazine for both guns and cut cost.

Anyway, hope this helps. You can always buy a smaller handgun for carry and buy a shotgun to tie you over for home defense until you get that full size handgun. :)

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    If you're on the east-side, go to Highsmith's in Greenfield (St. Rd. 9, near the post office). They rent guns for their range and I believe they have classes as well. Don't be swayed into buying anything at first. My personal recommendation is a full-size .22 revolver or pistol to learn with and then buy a larger caliber gun when you are ready. Perhaps a Smith Wesson M&P .22. You could transition right from that to 9mm (or .40/.45) S&W M&P.

Top Bottom