• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I do like the fact that I never have to worry about whether or not the gun works when I pull the trigger.

Thats something I'd be willing to trust with even in a RIA 1911. Seen several of those get 5K+ rounds down them and never have a issue. But I have seen a couple that have a hiccup too. Usually caused by a couple internal pieces that are left a little crude from the factory. Little bit of patience and hand stoning goes a long way with them. Kinda putting my own foot in my mouth saying that when we're talking about "reliability out of the box." But for $350-$400 brand new 1911 I just feel like I'm getting a lot more for my money. But then again taking a gun all the way apart and working on it doesn't scare me like it would with someone that isn't very mechanically inclined. Something that I get enjoyment out of too. I think most that are familiar with working on 1911s can agree with me that the RIAs have a solid foundation to start with they just need that little bit of extra attention every now and then. Those "I can't get it to run" guns are the ones I love finding a the shop for cheap. Indiucky can tell you about that with a Remington 1100 I pickup from him lol. Not to brag but I was tickled pink when I found that one, I had in running in a hour of getting home with it.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    But then again I don't really carry my 1911s or glocks anymore. Kind of went the wheel gun route. Funny thing about the wheel guns, they never seem have a failure to feed issue.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's almost entirely a 9mm issue. Some 17s and 19s, IIRC.

I sure wish I could figure it out for my G30sfs. A couple of times now, I thought I had it figured out but within 50 rounds, the pistol has told me otherwise. If APEX make an extractor for these, I'd be all over them. The fact that they don't tells me that you are right in the bulk of the BTF issues come from the 9mms.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Are you a lefty? I'm right-handed and have seriously never been hit in the face with brass ejected from any of my Glocks.

Yes I'm left handed but still doesn't explain why the 23 doesn't do it. My wife is right handed and while recently shooting the 19 she complained about btf from it also. I don't experience it with any of my M2.0's so I believe it's a Glock thing. Not enough of an issue to stop shooting Glocks but it does exist, at least for me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    That's one of the only gripes I have about glock is the plastic sights. I think other manufacturers do better than glock on sights.
    That being said, I DO NOT make it a point to rush out and chamge sights on my glocks like some do. Yeah I have some glocks with night sights and at least one other that only has metal solid rear and a tritium dot front. I'm not a must have night sight guy.
    I have 2 glock night sights sets sitting in my tool box and have a sight pusher and the knowledge having installed many, and a couple glocks at least with plastic sights still. So you see how bothered I am by the plastic sights lol. Yeah I think it's a weak point of a glock but I believe for my application of the glock the plastic sights won't hurt.

I honestly like the plastic sights because to me they are throw away. I'd rather have them then have some metal sights I'll also swap and the pistol cost more initially. Heck if I could get a Glock for $10 cheaper without sights of any kind I'd opt for that!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thats something I'd be willing to trust with even in a RIA 1911. Seen several of those get 5K+ rounds down them and never have a issue. But I have seen a couple that have a hiccup too. Usually caused by a couple internal pieces that are left a little crude from the factory. Little bit of patience and hand stoning goes a long way with them. Kinda putting my own foot in my mouth saying that when we're talking about "reliability out of the box." But for $350-$400 brand new 1911 I just feel like I'm getting a lot more for my money. But then again taking a gun all the way apart and working on it doesn't scare me like it would with someone that isn't very mechanically inclined. Something that I get enjoyment out of too. I think most that are familiar with working on 1911s can agree with me that the RIAs have a solid foundation to start with they just need that little bit of extra attention every now and then. Those "I can't get it to run" guns are the ones I love finding a the shop for cheap. Indiucky can tell you about that with a Remington 1100 I pickup from him lol. Not to brag but I was tickled pink when I found that one, I had in running in a hour of getting home with it.

If you like/trust them then of course......carry on.
    I will never own an RIA in any form. I have seen far to much ignorant crap inside of them.
    Seen a couple of OK ones but I have no desire to own one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's almost entirely a 9mm issue. Some 17s and 19s, IIRC.

1. I was at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield on the range awhile back and got hit in the head so hard that when I left they asked if I realized I was bleeding. :dunno:
    2. Well, no I didn't, they don't provide mirrors on the range. :laugh:
    3. I still don't know how I got tagged with a wall between us. Even if it came over the top, it would just be falling and shouldn't have enough "umph" to cut me?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've never had a problem with the 9mm Glock's and brass to the face but the lone Gen4 G23 I had would sling it right over my head. Shot fine but ejection was not good at all, I am happy all that I have works 100%

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Funny thing about the wheel guns, they never seem have a failure to feed issue.

But when they do (bullet releases from crimp, or something else) it is usually pretty bad, and not a quick in the heat of shooting fix. Not a tap and rack.

1. I was at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield on the range awhile back and got hit in the head so hard that when I left they asked if I realized I was bleeding. :dunno:
    2. Well, no I didn't, they don't provide mirrors on the range. :laugh:
    3. I still don't know how I got tagged with a wall between us. Even if it came over the top, it would just be falling and shouldn't have enough "umph" to cut me?

We're talking about brass to the face of the actual shooter of the firearm. Often referred to as BTF with Glock folks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I honestly like the plastic sights because to me they are throw away. I'd rather have them then have some metal sights I'll also swap and the pistol cost more initially. Heck if I could get a Glock for $10 cheaper without sights of any kind I'd opt for that!

I've often thought of Glock stock sights as nothing more than dovetail protectors that Glock puts marks on so you can break the gun in while waiting on your sights to arrive. I never really considered the benefit of the dovetail protectors but you do make a good point. I hate getting a gun with nice sights that are not what I want. It sucks to pull a beautifully made set of steel 3 dots off to replace them with night sights. I wish more manufacturers would offer standard cuts with the option of getting the gun sans sights.

I've never had a problem with the 9mm Glock's and brass to the face but the lone Gen4 G23 I had would sling it right over my head. Shot fine but ejection was not good at all, I am happy all that I have works 100%

Great! I just picked up a new Gen 4 G23 from USDS an hour ago. I sold my Gen 3 a couple of weeks back and really missed that gun. Figured that the Gen 4 would work for me with the better grip texture. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hoping that it ejects normally.

Top Bottom