• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The closest I've come to tinkering on my Glock is putting on the medium backstrap.

Other than sights, my Sigs are either completely factory or factory + Sig Custom Shop "action enhancement package".

I get my "tinkering" out on the reloading bench.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    That's kind of where I'm at too BBI, to this point the only thing I've changed on any of mine is the sights. I am considering a RDS though, I think I'm going to do an RMR, probably pick up one of the cheap type 1's from Cabelas this week.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That's one of the only gripes I have about glock is the plastic sights. I think other manufacturers do better than glock on sights.
    That being said, I DO NOT make it a point to rush out and chamge sights on my glocks like some do. Yeah I have some glocks with night sights and at least one other that only has metal solid rear and a tritium dot front. I'm not a must have night sight guy.
    I have 2 glock night sights sets sitting in my tool box and have a sight pusher and the knowledge having installed many, and a couple glocks at least with plastic sights still. So you see how bothered I am by the plastic sights lol. Yeah I think it's a weak point of a glock but I believe for my application of the glock the plastic sights won't hurt.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Are you a lefty? I'm right-handed and have seriously never been hit in the face with brass ejected from any of my Glocks.

Intriguing. I hear the brass to face complaint a lot, but I've never experienced it from the multitude of Glocks people have tried to get me to like. I know it's a thing, but I've not experienced it, so I'm not clear on the cause. Is it the way some people grip their pistol? Flaws in individual extractors? I lean toward shooter issues, not hardware. But maybe those same shooter have no problem with any other pistol. I'm curious.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Intriguing. I hear the brass to face complaint a lot, but I've never experienced it from the multitude of Glocks people have tried to get me to like. I know it's a thing, but I've not experienced it, so I'm not clear on the cause. Is it the way some people grip their pistol? Flaws in individual extractors? I lean toward shooter issues, not hardware. But maybe those same shooter have no problem with any other pistol. I'm curious.

Perhaps some testing would be in order. I shoot their guns and they shoot mine to see what happens.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Perhaps some testing would be in order. I shoot their guns and they shoot mine to see what happens.

I'd to play, but I don't own a Glock. I do think that would be a great idea to at least start identifying patterns and eliminating variables. Besides more shooting is more better!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having done serious range time on multiple occasions with with 88E I do not think he is doing it wrong. The man can run his handguns. Just saying.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    The only reason this thread has gone so long is that the OP picked on Glock and the fan boys retaliated. Just saying.

I tend to view the Glock fan boys as almost the "intolerable liberal type" when it comes to guns. Say one thing negative about the glock true or not they explode. DONT MAKE FUN OF MY PLASTIC!!! 1911 guys not so much, more of the level headed conservative. I guess when your design has been around for 100+ years you learn to handle it..

Might have started a war now calling them the liberal type lmao:stickpoke:
    giphy.gif
    Other than market demand and reliability there's no other reasons for the prices to be where they are, that's just my opinion though. Rather spend $400 on a cheap 1911 and a couple hours of hand work on the innards and have some metal in my hands that actually took some time to machine/manufacture. I like my Glocks but I probably would have never bought them if they hadn't been a steal.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have owned and been issued numerous Glocks since 1994 and I have never been hit in the head with an ejected casing. I think you are doing it wrong.

I don't know why it happens with some of my Glocks but not others. My G21 is fine, as is my G20. My G23 never did it either but my G19s and G30s all pelt me in the forehead with brass. Then again, so does my Kimber Compact but none of my other 1911s do, so there is that. But it was absolutely a regular thing on my G19s and both of my current G30s do it too. Really takes the fun out of shooting the buggers.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't know why it happens with some of my Glocks but not others. My G21 is fine, as is my G20. My G23 never did it either but my G19s and G30s all pelt me in the forehead with brass. Then again, so does my Kimber Compact but none of my other 1911s do, so there is that. But it was absolutely a regular thing on my G19s and both of my current G30s do it too. Really takes the fun out of shooting the buggers.

Are you ordering your ammo from somewhere south of the equator? That could be it
    ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I'd love to give that a try. The one saving grace with the G30s is that they don't do it with SD ammo, but only range ammo. The range ammo is mostly handloads and Midwest 230g. I've tried playing with the handloads a bit to see if I can tune it out but have not had any luck to date in that area. Makes practice a bit less enjoyable.

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Other than market demand and reliability there's no other reasons for the prices to be where they are, that's just my opinion though.

Those are the two main driving factors for the price of everything. I don't consider myself a "fan boy" but I do like the fact that I never have to worry about whether or not the gun works when I pull the trigger. Maybe that has something to do with market demand.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Other than market demand and reliability there's no other reasons for the prices to be where they are, that's just my opinion though.

Those are the two main driving factors for the price of everything. I don't consider myself a "fan boy" but I do like the fact that I never have to worry about whether or not the gun works when I pull the trigger. Maybe that has something to do with market demand.

I still think that it's the utility aspect. It's like paying the electric bill. You know what you get for the money. A lot of people don't buy a Glock for looks (although, I do like the style personally). They don't buy them for ergonomics. I think that the driving force in Glock value is the pure utility of the things. You are getting a simple, reliable shooting platform that can be trusted to defend your life and those you care about. No bells, whistles or any other stuff that's not a part of the simple utility of the platform. Plus, they are inexpensive enough to buy a second identical one to act as a quick backup should the main one go into an evidence drawer after doing its job of protecting.

The utility of the gun does not diminish with use, so the value of the gun tends to stay pretty consistent.

What baffles me is why some guns don't go up in value with use. Take an RIA 1911. It used to be that buying a new one was a crap shoot. Is it good or is it a lemon? Put 500 trouble free rounds through it and if it's good, you would think that it would be more valuable than before it's reliability was proven. But realistically, not everyone is honest I guess and there are some that would not hesitate to pawn off a lemon to someone else with no disclosure. So, I guess that every gun is valued by the history of the brand more than the individual gun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have owned and been issued numerous Glocks since 1994 and I have never been hit in the head with an ejected casing. I think you are doing it wrong.[

Guess I’m doing it wrong too then. My issue 22.4 and my personal 19.4 hit me in face a lot. However my 23.4 does not ???

Are you a lefty? I'm right-handed and have seriously never been hit in the face with brass ejected from any of my Glocks.

Brass to the face was/is a real thing and I think it mostly generated with a run of Glocks during the rollout of the Gen 4, but occurred with Gen 3 pistols of that same era. I've seen it, with an example someone had that sprayed brass like a sprinkler head. It did not happen with other Glock 19's that same shooter had/ran, and followed the gun and to a certain extent even the slide and innards of that gun to another frame, and experienced it a bit myself. It took a combination of parts being swapped out to correct the issue to make it livable.

I had one that would do it periodically myself and changing over to a Gen 4 ejector and a couple of other minor changes and seemed to generally correct the issue as well.

Not all Glocks have/had the issue for sure, but I've seen it and I believe it to be a stacking of tolerance issues with parts that were produced during a certain era of the guns.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Brass to the face was/is a real thing and I think it mostly generated with a run of Glocks during the rollout of the Gen 4, but occurred with Gen 3 pistols of that same era. I've seen it, with an example someone had that sprayed brass like a sprinkler head. It did not happen with other Glock 19's that same shooter had/ran, and followed the gun and to a certain extent even the slide and innards of that gun to another frame, and experienced it a bit myself. It took a combination of parts being swapped out to correct the issue to make it livable.

I had one that would do it periodically myself and changing over to a Gen 4 ejector and a couple of other minor changes and seemed to generally correct the issue as well.

Not all Glocks have/had the issue for sure, but I've seen it and I believe it to be a stacking of tolerance issues with parts that were produced during a certain era of the guns.
    Will a gen 4 extractor work in a gen 3 G30sf? If so, I'll give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have had brass to the face from two different Gen. 4 19's and a late Gen. 3
    I have read somewhere else that with enough rounds it will go away.
    I don't know if there is any truth to that or just internet rumors.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Will a gen 4 extractor work in a gen 3 G30sf? If so, I'll give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In my case, it was the ejector, and not sure on the 45 ACP pistols but it will on the Gen 3 19's. I believe it was a 30274 Gen 4 ejector for the Glock 19 that was what one wanted, and I put it in my Gen 3 that was exhibiting the issue), and I believe a different spring loaded bearing. I'd have to go back to some of my notes and posts here on INGO (there was quite the discussion here on INGO and on GlockTalk, etc at the time).

The extractors are not swappable between Gen 3 and 4 from my recollection. Also, last I checked Apex does not make an extractor for the 45 ACP pistols, which was another of the fixes in the case of some pistols (and I believe one of the parts my brother swapped on his sprinkler head 19).

I think we discussed this in one of your previous threads here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing/446617-glock-btf-wtf.html?446617=#post7341122 And I posted a couple of other links to discussions on INGO there as well.

My 45 ACP Glocks were all older, and I had never experienced it on those. Getting hit in the face with a 45 ACP case, probably a bit like getting a 5 gallon bucket tossed at you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom