• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    CTD Has 1,000 round cases of TULA .223 for $222.29. Shipping to the westside of Indy is $24.99 for a total of $247.28.

TulAmmo 223 Rem. Full Metal Jacket Polymer Coated Steel Case, 55 Grain, 3241 fps, 1000 Round Bulk Case, TA223100

I'm not going to find fault in you guys looking at what CheaperThanDirt has to offer, but there's a lot of people on here who've got some hard feelings against those guys. Forgive me if you already knew this, but at the onset of the last round of panic buying they (CTD) were the first ones to jack their prices way up and put the screws to their customers. The infamous $60 Pmag heard round the world comes to mind. I understand they're a business and can charge whatever they want and if people are willing to pay it then good for them. I get all the free market arguements and it's up to them on how they run their business and up to customers on whether or not they pay for something. Before all of this happened I use to buy a ton of products from CTD, but durign the panic I saw a difference in how they treated their people and how other companies treated theirs. Personally I'll chose to do my business with companies like AGS Armament, Palmetto, AIM surplus, etc.

For the guys looking for 308, here's some M80 ball for $12 per 20. 7.62 X 51MM NATO 149GR FMJ M80 20rds -XM80CL

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Teddy I remember that but as a conspicuous consumer I didn't send them a penny. Everything I've purchased from them were items that aren't available at any of my LGS's. Sadly the LGS's are still rather high or out of stock on a lot of the items I'm looking for. I have a feeling they purchased a lot of their stock at inflated prices and are now well above standard retail.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    CTD did do some well known and high profile price gouging indeed. However they were and are not alone. Palmetto currently lists several 22 rimfire items I've bought at various LGS or at Wally for 50% less than Palmetto. The $49.99 , recently reduced to $35.99
    325 rd pack of Fed 22LR Auto Match is one example. The 400rd brick of Fed American Eagle for $43.99 is another. Lucky Gunner with their $75 per 500 Rem Thunderbolts and $90 GBs is even worse.
    Taking advantage of existing conditions, real or imagined was and continues to be a pretty wide spectrum practice. I buy very little from CTD myself actually but if I would choose to be scrupulous about boycotting every merchant who ever did any price gouging I would be able to deal with very few merchants. A few examples below....

http://www.luckygunner.com/22-lr-40-gr-lrn-remington-thunderbolt-500-tb22a-round

http://www.surplusammo.com/22-lr-cci-mini-mag-40-grain-copper-plated-round-nose-100-rounds/

http://www.luckygunner.com/remington-22-lr-ammo-for-sale-22lr36bphpremgb-525

http://www.surplusammo.com/22-lr-remington-thunderbolt-40-grain-round-nose-tb22a-50-rounds/

http://www.ammoman.com/22-lr-remington-thunderbolt-40-grain-lrn-tb22b

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Teddy I remember that but as a conspicuous consumer I didn't send them a penny. Everything I've purchased from them were items that aren't available at any of my LGS's. Sadly the LGS's are still rather high or out of stock on a lot of the items I'm looking for. I have a feeling they purchased a lot of their stock at inflated prices and are now well above standard retail.

I get what you're saying and I'm not trying to compare CTD to a local gunshop. Apples & oranges there, but I when times were their worst CTD put the screws to all the customers who helped them build their business. I was a very loyal CTD guy for a long time and it bugged me. I'm not saying that I'm going to judge anyone who cares to shop with them. I'm just saying that I'm bitter and holding a grudge and letting people know why I won't send any $$ their way anymore.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I get what you're saying and I'm not trying to compare CTD to a local gunshop. Apples & oranges there, but I when times were their worst CTD put the screws to all the customers who helped them build their business. I was a very loyal CTD guy for a long time and it bugged me. I'm not saying that I'm going to judge anyone who cares to shop with them. I'm just saying that I'm bitter and holding a grudge and letting people know why I won't send any $$ their way anymore.

I feel it. There's a lot of places I won't go to due to how I was treated. BGF is one of them. They will have to work hard to get me there again and even more to shop there.
    As noted by Kalboy there are a lot of places that are still way over priced. Granted it's a free economy and people can charge what they want but I'm not forced to purchase it and will go elsewhere.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    CTD did do some well known and high profile price gouging indeed. However they were and are not alone. Palmetto currently lists several 22 rimfire items I've bought at various LGS or at Wally for 50% less than Palmetto. The $49.99 , recently reduced to $35.99
    325 rd pack of Fed 22LR Auto Match is one example. The 400rd brick of Fed American Eagle for $43.99 is another. Lucky Gunner with their $75 per 500 Rem Thunderbolts and $90 GBs is even worse.
    Taking advantage of existing conditions, real or imagined was and continues to be a pretty wide spectrum practice. I buy very little from CTD myself actually but if I would choose to be scrupulous about boycotting every merchant who ever did any price gouging I would be able to deal with very few merchants. A few examples below....

Bulk 22 LR Ammo For Sale - 40 gr LRN - Remington Thunderbolt Ammunition In Stock - 500 Rounds

22 LR CCI Mini Mag 40 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose - 100 Rounds

22 LR Ammo For Sale - 36 gr Hollow Point Ammunition HP - Remington - 525 Rounds

22 LR Remington Thunderbolt 40 Grain Round Nose TB22A - 50 Rounds

500 Rounds of 22lr 40 Grain Remington Thunderbolt TB-22B-21241 Lead Round Nose Ammo at AmmoMan.com

I see what you're saying, but the prices on the 22lr ammo being high isn't quite the same. 22lr ammo is just now becoming available after a very long absence. The stores that have 22lr available are keeping the price high so that only the people who need it are buying it, and not the guys who buy it at $20 per 550 just to have more and more of it. The guys who have 22lr available paid a premium to get it as the price was steadily dropping underneath them. It's not like PSA or luckygunner jumped at the chance to hike up the prices on 22lr the second it was available. They've got the prices marked to where guys won't just come in and wipe out the supply because it was cheap. This way any of us could go buy some today and take a kid shooting if we wanted to because even though it's over priced at least it's available.

If you're finding 22lr ammo on the shelves that's a very recent development. In Fort Wayne, to the best of my knowledge that just doesn't happen yet. In the last year I bought one brick of 22lr and maybe half a bricks worth of 50rd boxes here and there. When the day comes that supply exceeds demand I'll be putting up bricks by the dozens when they're priced right. Till then I shoot it sparingly.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I was chatting with the sporting goods manager at the Brownsburg Walmart about 22lr. He said the same half dozen guys show up almost every weekday morning at 5:30 to buy what 22lr he gets in. He said he wishes he could limit them to 3 boxes a week but instead it's 3 boxes a day. He said he hasn't been able to put any in the display case in over a year. Sucks but I'll do like you and buy it when supply is greater than demand.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's how we see a glass that is half full of water. I see a glass half full and I'm happy to have access to what I've got because an empty glass would suck. I guess I could take the approach that the glass was half empty and it's those early bird jerks stripping the walmart shelves that are ruining my fun or that it's priced too high elsewhere. Personally, I'm glad to see it's available at a minimum. It's a sign of supply catching up and that some day the guys who are paying $30 a brick and tyring to double their money will end up selling everything just to break even and get their money back.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I could be one of those guys at 5:30am but I'd rather sleep that extra hour! I had no stash before Newtown, maybe a brick or so but I have been shooting 22 regularly and finding it on occasion to replenish at reasonable prices. Admittedly, I've shot a lot of Thunderbolts over the last 20 months but only minimal problems with it.
    By far the worst I paid was 29.99 for a 325 count tin of federals. All the rest have been less than $.06 round.

Cant believe some of the prices in the links above!!

recently, Dicks Sporting goods has had 22 almost everytime I have gone in. Last was 325 for $19.99. I passed as it was over my $.06 limit.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Why does everyone have something against thunderbolt ammo? Ive been using it for years, and when I first bought my savage, I used 8 different types of ammo on two sight in targets at 50 yards, and it grouped tighter than all the rest. Only the target ammo, that was twice the price grouped as tight.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why does everyone have something against thunderbolt ammo? Ive been using it for years, and when I first bought my savage, I used 8 different types of ammo on two sight in targets at 50 yards, and it grouped tighter than all the rest. Only the target ammo, that was twice the price grouped as tight.

I had very bad experience with Thunderbolts back around 2000 - 2002. Like everything else based on personal experience, I never had issues with Federal but my friend hates them.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside

years ago, thunderbolts had a bad problem with leading the barrel. I've not had any issues with that in a couple years.

Matt

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom