Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    for cops escalating a detainment because the detainee is resisting arrest then it really doesn't

Did we watch the same thing? :dunno:

And I honest thought this time folks wouldn't be victim blaming. I looked into George's past, and thought this guy is clean enough that the right (AKA Molyneux and his crowd) aren't going to try to make it look like he deserved it. I watched the video, and thought it's plain enough that we can all be on the same side here. I thought that this time we wouldn't spread memes trying to simplify it to say the victim made poor choices in life so he reaped what he sowed.

:(

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If cops are out to kill black men, and they've been at it for years.......why do so many black men continue do things that mandate police attention?
    You'd think they'd try to avoid them.
    The wounded and or dead usually have a violent record. Hmmmmm.

Does police brutality happen?
    Sure.

But I think black brutality against society to be a much bigger problem.

Their culture sucks and I didn't do it.

White privilege..............you mean having as mom and dad raise a kid to get an education and be self supportive?
    Demanding decent behavior?

Why is that a white thing and not just a thing?

Aren't black people free to subscribe to such thinking?

Guess not. Thats on them, not me.

It's ironic that you pretty much summed up white privilege, in a way - you're white, therefore don't have those opinions and attitudes directed at you.

There's many parts here that I agree with, but problem is the breadth of your brush and how easy you imply it is to change.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It's ironic that you pretty much summed up white privilege, in a way - you're white, therefore don't have those opinions and attitudes directed at you.

There's many parts here that I agree with, but problem is the breadth of your brush and how easy you imply it is to change.

The autonomy of the individual is the greatest ideal that we can advocate and advance. Personal accountability. Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    for cops escalating a detainment because the detainee is resisting arrest then it really doesn't

The officers observed that he seemed under the influence of something and would have recognized that causes stress on breathing and heart rate. They also claimed he was combative to some degree, which adds further stress. They handcuffed him and put him face down in a position well known to risk positional asphyxiation. The officers recognized enough signs of distress to believe he needed medical help and called for an ambulance. Then the officer put a knee into his neck for 8 minutes. EMS personnel were the ones who asked the officer to take his knee off his neck after trying to check his pulse with the officer still applying pressure. A reasonable officer would have recognized those things.

The statute fits to a T.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Looks like people have chosen their sides.

bHLyk4R.png

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Video in the link is pretty damning . WDRB breaks down the video very well. He was a well loved member of the community that just happened to shoot at police.
    https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/polic...cle_23e2fae2-a4ef-11ea-81bc-235715f2921c.html
    [FONT=&amp]Brown added that six handguns and a shotgun were found in the building where McAtee was shot, though Beshear said authorities were unable to say whether those weapons were legally purchased.[/FONT]

WDRB said many times during the broadcast that the video is inconclusive. It's hard to make out that it's a gun, but it certainly looks like a gun. When McAtee was shot, he dropped something, and you can see what he dropped on the floor in the video. That thing looks an awful lot like a gun. The police said they recovered a gun near his body. They also confirmed that the object seen on the floor in the video is a gun. There's no audio, and you can't actually see him firing a gun, but he did show his hand raised twice, once just before ducking back inside, and then again just before he fell, presumably when he was shot. So I agree with WDRB that it's not conclusive, but it's pretty damning. It looks like he is the one who fired the gun outside the door. It's just not clear whether he was actually shooting at police.

Also, in the other video from the outside view, some other questions were cleared up a little. The first video available for this was taken by a man in a car. From that video it appeared officers were firing from a distance across the street into a crowd as we heard gunshots. The new video from outside the porch showed that the officers who actually fired at McAtee weren't really firing into a crowd from a distance, but were much closer and near the porch. They had line of sight at the doorway where McAtee was shot.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Video in the link is pretty damning . WDRB breaks down the video very well. He was a well loved member of the community that just happened to shoot at police.
    https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/polic...cle_23e2fae2-a4ef-11ea-81bc-235715f2921c.html
    Brown added that six handguns and a shotgun were found in the building where McAtee was shot, though Beshear said authorities were unable to say whether those weapons were legally purchased.

If this was anything else, we'd be up complaining about the media's portrayal of gun owners, and mocking him for only having six handguns.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Did we watch the same thing? :dunno:

And I honest thought this time folks wouldn't be victim blaming. I looked into George's past, and thought this guy is clean enough that the right (AKA Molyneux and his crowd) aren't going to try to make it look like he deserved it. I watched the video, and thought it's plain enough that we can all be on the same side here. I thought that this time we wouldn't spread memes trying to simplify it to say the victim made poor choices in life so he reaped what he sowed.

:(

Fitting the narrative applies to both extremes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Fitting the narrative applies to both extremes.

Yeah, that was my thought. CT does have an agenda, too.

Way back in the beginning there's a record of me saying that George looks like he's on drugs when arrested... I wonder what happened to him? :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The only one talking about a meme is you. I'm discussing actual statistics:

Blacks constitute 13% of the population, and commit 43% of all violent crime. Does it make you happy, now, to add some precision? Can we stop talking about memes now?

And I will also point out the context in which I referenced these numbers: the chart (which I don't seem to find a critique of, from you, yet) that "men of color are more likely to be killed by police", with a "lifetime risk" of approximately 95 per 100,000, compared to white men, who have a "lifetime risk" of approximately 40 per 100,000.

Why no criticism of that oversimplification? Why criticize relevant context applied to that oversimplification?

At the risk of dredging up this hours-old issue. I highlighted the problematic word.

Black people are arrested and convicted for that percentage of violent crime. The statistic for actual crimes committed is as unknowable as the actual number of people in the US who have coronavirus.

"Commit" requires assumptions that I would have expected you to identify. It is shorthand that carries serious implications.

The arrest/conviction is where the nuance comes in, and includes socioeconomic and systemic factors.

Apologies if this was pointed out earlier and I missed it.

I don't think convictions is the right way to look at this anyway. The things that are alleged is that black people are shot proportionally more than white people, and that this is an indication of institutional racism. Looking at encounters with police is a better level of evaluation because it's directly correlated. It's really hard to be shot by police if you never encounter them. And you typically encounter them a lot more if you engage in crime, are associated with someone who engages in crime, or live in an area where crime is high. Superficially, it looks like blacks have disproportionately more encounters than whites. As posted before, if we look at police shootings per 10K arrests, the numbers are pretty equal.

So that says that we really don't have a huge problem with racist cops. But it also shows that we have a disproportionate number of blacks that encounter police compared to whites. So that would be the thing to work on. Ending no-knock raids would end some accidental shootings. Ending stop and frisk would reduce the number of encounters with police. Implementing policies that tend to lift people out of poverty would also reduce crime in the area, and therefore would also reduce the number of encounters. Reduce that and you reduce the number of black people killed by cops.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We’re discussing whether the circumstances fit the charge. You wouldn’t file that charge?

The joke. You missed it. ;)

("Fits to a T." My username starts with "T." Its like you were bringing me into the conversation.... Never mind.) ;)

More seriously, I don't know MN law, let alone all of the circumstances surrounding the events. I don't feel like second-guessing the local prosecution on this. It certainly seems like criminal charges are appropriate, but I have no opinion beyond that.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The joke. You missed it. ;)

("Fits to a T." My username starts with "T." Its like you were bringing me into the conversation.... Never mind.) ;)

More seriously, I don't know MN law, let alone all of the circumstances surrounding the events. I don't feel like second-guessing the local prosecution on this. It certainly seems like criminal charges are appropriate, but I have no opinion beyond that.

Oops, I did miss it. I would call you in specifically if this were a warning shot case. :whistle:

:ingo:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would say Antifa, but according to the other thread, some think that they are not an organization but rather a "movement".

Bricks showed up in Louisville too. They had a news report and a photo of a pickup truck with bricks in the back that was allegedly used to deliver bricks to various locations.

About not an organization but a movement, that's been expressed in the other thread. But idea is delusional.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom