Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Go back and see the edit. Pelosi's little act was absolutely theater. Everything she does is theater. She's so far separated from her duty as Speaker that she thinks her duty is to destroy republicans.

Yup. Your unedited post made me think you were suggesting the military funeral flag was theater.
    I have my dad's and two uncle's flags and those are honored possessions.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I will find the video from #itisgoingdown ,but it showed they had Hispanic and black members and still #itisgoingdown called them white nationalists. Looking for the video.

It didn't seem to me that they were a white nationalist group. But proof would be nice to see.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It didn't seem to me that they were a white nationalist group. But proof would be nice to see.

Picture of a few of them. https://twitter.com/JDLuckenbach/status/1272842969696124928 Who the poster of the picture is calling to be labeled terrorists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

According to the Washingtonpost police dispatch refers to them as friendlies. If you look on twitter for New Mexico Civil Guard you can see images of them mixed in with officers holding a police line while having rocks and bottles thrown at them.

https://twitter.com/Christi02938740/status/1272960232218599424
    "Friendly is based on who they're pointing at!Immigrants are ok, blacks & Browns are ok but they draw the line at white protesters. It's just a reality show & we're the players"

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    BU9crwE.png

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    This is puzzling to me. I don't understand this line of thinking, but I'll try to.

So I understand the following line of moral thinking of many here. It's dishonorable to give the same honor to Floyd as we would give to a fallen soldier because Floyd's life did not live up to the same level of honor as a soldier who sacrificed his life in battle. Everyone pretty much universally understands that his death was unjust. But there was no sense of personal sacrifice in his death. He didn't put himself in harms way intentionally to serve a cause greater than themselves. To put it in terms of cold facts, he was killed unjustly while (presumably) committing a crime. So that does not rise to the level of veneration that a fallen soldier should have.

So that's the one point of view. But you're sort of making a moral equivalence between that and playing the national anthem for sporting events, something that you seem to feel is a dishonorable act, or at least "undignified". So it seems you're making a complaint about consistency. If we shouldn't give Floyd's family the Flag, then let's be consistent and give the national anthem the same sense of honor.

What I don't understand is the link between the two. I don't really see it as undignified to have a custom of playing the national anthem at sporting events. I suspect that others feel the same way. It seems "American". Patriotic. Even though there's a sort of pretense about it. Maybe that's the undignified part that I'm not seeing.

But forget about the moral implications of honor and patriotism for a minute. Should Floyd be venerated because he's the victim of an unjust death? It's like they're rewarding him posthumously for some sort of martyrdom. I don't really see him as a martyr. He's just a guy who was trying to do his thing, got caught by police and they killed him unjustly. I just don't think what those police officers did is offset by venerating Floyd. Lots of people die unjustly. Do we or should we venerate them all? Or is it selective?

I won't put together an all-inclusive list, simply because it is pretty long. But having attended funerals of those who did not serve in the military, I've seen flags presented to the family by the Post Office, Chiefs of Police, and Doctors...although in the case of the doctor, he might have been a Korean War veteran without an honor guard.

It seems we honor a lot of people for the jobs. Or perhaps we honor them because they were outstanding citizens.....I haven't looked that one up and I can't remember attending a funeral specific to that honor.

It isn't just the military who furnishes an honor guard and colors for veterans.

I don't have more to say on the subject, but I don't find presenting the flag to the mother of someone killed by an accident or circumstances to be improper. Floyd was a US citizen. He seems to have as much right to a flag as anyone else.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Yep. Totally deserved it. Glad he got shot now after seeing that.

I will say, and I know this is going to be unpopular, but the guy kinda knew the crowd he was walking into. It isn’t like he expected to be greeted with open arms. But at the same time, that doesn’t give anyone the right to assault him, especially with a weapon. He’s totally right to defend himself. Just seems like he could’ve made better decisions that could’ve avoided all his troubles from the start. Something about stupid games something something

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I will say, and I know this is going to be unpopular, but the guy kinda knew the crowd he was walking into. It isn’t like he expected to be greeted with open arms. But at the same time, that doesn’t give anyone the right to assault him, especially with a weapon. He’s totally right to defend himself. Just seems like he could’ve made better decisions that could’ve avoided all his troubles from the start. Something about stupid games something something

He deserves a medal.

He actually took one of the violent cultural vandals off the street.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mr. Floyd didn't start the fires.

I tell you what. You stop putting the National Anthem in front of ball games and give it the dignity it deserves, and maybe I'll rethink my position.

Never claimed he started the fires. What, in you opinion did he do to deserve an honor usually reserved for those that have served our country, either in the military or law enforcement or other honorable endeavors? He was not an honorable man. As for the national anthem, I have no qualms about it being played or sung (respectfully, not as some kind of America's Got Talent gimmick) before sporting events. It serves to remind people why they have the freedom to enjoy such events.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Eh, I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it's spitting on our most sacred traditions. But also, I would not consider the honorable ceremony as theater either. It's important to many people who served. They want to honor fallen soldiers' sacrifice. It's something I don't fully understand myself not being in the military. But I understand enough to know it's more than theater to many of them.

ETA: I think I may have misunderstood the object of "theater". I thought you were saying the tradition for fallen soldiers was theater, but you may have meant that Pelosi's act was theater, which it most certainly was.
    Your edit is the correct interpretation.

Political theater.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I won't put together an all-inclusive list, simply because it is pretty long. But having attended funerals of those who did not serve in the military, I've seen flags presented to the family by the Post Office, Chiefs of Police, and Doctors...although in the case of the doctor, he might have been a Korean War veteran without an honor guard.

It seems we honor a lot of people for the jobs. Or perhaps we honor them because they were outstanding citizens.....I haven't looked that one up and I can't remember attending a funeral specific to that honor.

It isn't just the military who furnishes an honor guard and colors for veterans.

I don't have more to say on the subject, but I don't find presenting the flag to the mother of someone killed by an accident or circumstances to be improper. Floyd was a US citizen. He seems to have as much right to a flag as anyone else.

I will go with your thoughts on this but I also know this was more than likely a photo op to push another angle of "He was a good man" thing or so it would seem.
    If anyone did not deserve it was him. JMHO and not poking at you sir.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

[video=youtube_share;XYKVw0WL7U8]https://youtu.be/XYKVw0WL7U8[/video]
    He has a small analysis of the legal ramifications for those involved. He broke it down by the timeline.

Shooter and knife guy both were protesting for/against the statue. All legal.

Yelling begins by both parties again legal.
    Blue shirt guy backs off and starts to run away.
    Knife dude engages and says "kill him", youtuber says that is the start of legal trouble for knife guy as blue shirt, shooter had already disengages from the situation no longer a threat.
    The rest is in the video basically self defense for blue shirt guy.

Blue shirt guy knows da Chicago way.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    K8RNf45.png

Police, you may want to consider what side you want to be on...

If you get all kitted up like Delta Force and roll with your buddies in the MRAP, the only "sides" are yours and everybody else.

This is a beneficial mindset for soldiers in a war. It's debatable how helpful it is on the streets of an American city.:dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Pelosi said that the flag she gave Floyd's family was the one that flew over the capital on the day he was killed. It's probably at least a little political theater, but it's not the same honor shown to veterans either. This isn't a big deal. Political theater is typical of politicians. The family probably appreciated the gesture.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Police, you may want to consider what side you want to be on.

I don't think it's a smart move to be protecting criminals and those who are trying to defund/disband you.

Do you support the constitution, law and order, and the health of the public body? Or do you support communist revolutionaries? The 2 are very mutually exclusive.

Not to mention, you can say bye bye to your paycheck and pensions if you keep supporting the hand that is literally trying to poison you.

These people they're arresting are the only people who actually support them...

So now we want the police to choose who to arrest based on their political ideology?

Are you freakin' kidding me?

If these guys were breaking the law, they should be arrested, I don't care how many FOP stickers are on their car, or how many Blue Lives Matter morale patches they have.

P.S. If you don't want vigilantes forming and doing your job for you, then stop the riots. Some of us realize the consequences of allowing violence to dictate public policy, and seek to prevent us from traveling down that rabbit hole.
    The amount of internet armchair policing, from all sides, is immeasurable.

PS - You hate communism, yet you seem to support the government crushing dissent... hmmm.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If these guys were breaking the law, they should be arrested

That's the problem. They ARE breaking the law, and they are NOT being arrested.

PS - You hate communism, yet you seem to support the government crushing dissent... hmmm.

There's dissent, and then there are criminal acts. I fully support the government crushing criminal acts in progress.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @jettaknight

The police walked away from the group that was about the deface/remove the statue with ropes.

So the new mexico group moved in to protect the property.
    Basically they were doing what the police SHOULD have done.

After the shooting occured then the police detained everyone with a gun to do their investigation but from best I can tell they did not detain any of the looters who did manage to deface the statue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom