• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • normesp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    I will be taking the handgun course in May with gunsite and would like to know which type of flashlight would be the best to buy for this course?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I had the chance to take the Gunsite class last Fall. The night-shoot was awesome.

The best suited light would be a handheld with a tailcap switch. If you bring a weapon-mounted light, make sure you've got a handheld to use as your primary.

Some brands seen at the class were:

Surefire
    Streamlight
    Inova
    First Light (the funky 90 degree handheld)

I used this as my primary:
    Inova T2 LED
    Inova-Torch-Inova-T2-48-Watt-LED-Torch-Flashlight.jpg

Surefire G2 for backup
    Surefire_G2_Torch%20400.jpg

Streamlight TLR-1 for a weapon-mounted light, just in case. . .
    TLR1.jpg

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I like the Streamlight Strion series. Especially the Tactical model. You can mount it to your gun or easily take it off and use it for hand held.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I would like to get the BlackHawk Gladius, I like the strobe feature, but I don't exactly have $200 to spend on a flashlight. I have never paid over $40 for a flashlight in my life. The light I did pay around $40 for was used daily in my job.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I have to show some of slow1911's love for the Novatac. Sure, it's a little bit more than a Maglite, more than an Inova, but it's a good light for me - twice the brightness of the Surefire G2, small enough for unobtrusive pocket carry, and easily configured into an off-hand shooting light..

It's NOT, though, big enough to use as a h2h tool, other than as a fist strengthener. If you want a flashlight that's big enough to improvise as a kubotan or something, that's not it. Though I hear they're coming out with longer models that COULD work that way..

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I would like to get the BlackHawk Gladius, I like the strobe feature, but I don't exactly have $200 to spend on a flashlight. I have never paid over $40 for a flashlight in my life. The light I did pay around $40 for was used daily in my job.

Look into Insight technology Insight Tech-Gear - Tactical lights, weapon mounted lights, tactical laser products and thermal imaging systems I don't see it on there now but I have there H2 X Typhoon oh wait I did a search and found it here Insight Tech-Gear I bought this at midwest gun exchange before the Blackhawk cameout with a blackhawk holster for it for $117 out the door. It was more than I wanted to spend but that strobe feature is tactcool. I think you'll agree that it looks alot like the Blackhawk. :shady: Inisght has some other lights for less w/ a strobe feature.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im not sure who makes it or where you can get it, but the flash light I picked up from Jim Floyd @ his Utah handgun license class is outstanding, and about 50% the cost of a comparable surefire!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i've been working with the first light liberator and tomahawk for awhile now. though they are a bit spendy and have no greater utility than a g2, they've been working good for me. i've been carrying the tomahawk and so far it has proven to be a pretty good light.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have quite a few inexpensive lights from dealextreme.com. They are absurdly bright, even if they cost more, but I've yet to own one that could tolerate much wear and tear without having electrical problems. They're great for utility use, but I would not use one for emergencies.

Regardless of which brand you choose for a primary handheld light, get one with a Cree or similar LED emitter. The days of the incandescent lights have passed, except for some special purposes. For a defensive light, high-end LEDs make a lot more lumens with less drain on the batteries and the "throw" is now as good or better than incandescent lamps. More importantly, they are not fragile like the filaments in incandescent lamps. I've "broken" a few lamps in Surefires. I've never broken an LED. :D

If you're going to use a G2, get an LED module for it. The Surefire version is puny in terms of performance, but it's better than the incansdescent version.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Whatever handheld flashlight you choose, get some 550 cord (or similar) and a zip-tie and make a lanyard for it. The ones I've made over the years fit around all 4 fingers of my left hand with a little 'slop'. The lanyard makes it nice when reloading or manipulating your pistol.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Whatever handheld flashlight you choose, get some 550 cord (or similar) and a zip-tie and make a lanyard for it.

Steve brings up a very important point.

During the Gunsite class, they do go over different techniques for transitioning from holding a light to reloading/manipulating your pistol. These were typically odd and uncomfortable things like putting the light under your armpit or under your chin (bad idea!), and just didn't work right.

The lanyard on my Inova saved the day, as I could just "drop" my light, change mags, and then "pick it up" right out of the air again without much effort. The only thing that would've been better would be less slack in the line, or a bungee type material. Many aftermarket lanyards today address these issues well.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    The Surefire lanyard I had was too long, with too much on it. Cheap ba$tard that I am, 550 cord or an old bootlace makes dandy lanyards. I'm in the low speed, high drag platoon :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The Inova one was not tight enough to put over my 4 fingers, and still a hair loose for around my wrist.

I once saw a guy with a simple loop of bungee-cord that would keep the light tight against the wrist/knuckles when released. Ayoob maybe? I can't remember. But I like the idea.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Sportsman's in Lafayette (going out of business) has all their flashlights on sale. Some decent deals if you're looking for a good light, but don't wander over towards the firearms unless you're a shotgun guy..

OHHH - or if you have a .454 revolver! They've still got ammo for that!!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Is anyone else getting a prompt for screen name and password to military morons? It only happens on page 1.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sportsman's in Lafayette (going out of business) has all their flashlights on sale. Some decent deals if you're looking for a good light, but don't wander over towards the firearms unless you're a shotgun guy..

Be aware that once you buy it, there is little recourse if it does not work. I bought a flashlight there last week and it does not work. They (whoever is handling the liquidation and pretending to be Sportsman's Warehouse) refused to exchange or refund.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom