Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When elementary and secondary students are expelled for...

biting a pop-tart so it looks vaguely like a gun
    wearing a pro-2A shirt to school
    pointing a finger like a gun as done billions of times playing 'cowboy'
    posting a social media picture of their family at a gun range with guns
    etc.

there is a problem with left bias in the schools at all levels.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is also false.

I think it's more informative to say what's right and what's wrong about it. Saying the education system is out of balance isn't the same as saying that the whole system, every school, is a problem. Academia does lean left. Most of the major univiersities, especially in the dense population centers, are far left, and they graduate students with that educational background. That's not to say that every teacher who graduates is far left, but many of them are, and it is true enough to say that the professors who are far left, especially those who are teaching the teachers, is far out of balance compared to the professors who are right leaning in that discipline. That's not even disputed by academics themselves. There are almost no right leaning professors in Ed.D programs. The Heterodox Academy, in fact, consisting mostly of center-left and left leaning academics, was created to help this problem. There is a bubble formed in academia now.

However, it would be inaccurate to say that all schools are far left. My son's highschool is an example of one that's pretty evenly proportioned. Also, my son attends UofL, which appears to be pretty middle of the road. He's had some professors in his humanities classes who are far left. His economics profs, so far, appear to be center. His math teachers seem to be neither left nor right; just ****ing weird. His philosophy prof was quite left leaning, but presented his class from a pretty unbiased viewpoint. So it would be incorrect to assume that the entire educational system is far left propaganda outlets. It depends on the school, and even within individual schools, it depends on the teachers. Some are bat **** crazy. Some are far left. But they're not all bad. There are no far right teachers/professors in my own experience, and that I've seen evident in my son's experience.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When elementary and secondary students are expelled for...

biting a pop-tart so it looks vaguely like a gun
    wearing a pro-2A shirt to school
    pointing a finger like a gun as done billions of times playing 'cowboy'
    posting a social media picture of their family at a gun range with guns
    etc.

there is a problem with left bias in the schools at all levels.
    that happens in some rarer cases than seems apparent. You see these stories all the time but there are thousands and thousands of schools, and they're not all, or even a majority of them, like that.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think it's more informative to say what's right and what's wrong about it. Saying the education system is out of balance isn't the same as saying that the whole system, every school, is a problem. Academia does lean left. Most of the major univiersities, especially in the dense population centers, are far left, and they graduate students with that educational background. That's not to say that every teacher who graduates is far left, but many of them are, and it is true enough to say that the professors who are far left, especially those who are teaching the teachers, is far out of balance compared to the professors who are right leaning in that discipline. That's not even disputed by academics themselves. There are almost no right leaning professors in Ed.D programs. The Heterodox Academy, in fact, consisting mostly of center-left and left leaning academics, was created to help this problem. There is a bubble formed in academia now.

However, it would be inaccurate to say that all schools are far left. My son's highschool is an example of one that's pretty evenly proportioned. Also, my son attends UofL, which appears to be pretty middle of the road. He's had some professors in his humanities classes who are far left. His economics profs, so far, appear to be center. His math teachers seem to be neither left nor right; just ****ing weird. His philosophy prof was quite left leaning, but presented his class from a pretty unbiased viewpoint. So it would be incorrect to assume that the entire educational system is far left propaganda outlets. It depends on the school, and even within individual schools, it depends on the teachers. Some are bat **** crazy. Some are far left. But they're not all bad. There are no far right teachers/professors in my own experience, and that I've seen evident in my son's experience.

Balance is a good thing.
    All of your examples are either left or unbiased. You seem to imply that this is some kind of balance. That is NOT balanced, not at all. You have just described a left biased system.

Center or unbiased does not balance out left biased. The overall effect is left biased.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Balance is a good thing.
    All of your examples are either left or unbiased. You seem to imply that this is some kind of balance. That is NOT balanced, not at all. You have just described a left biased system.

Center or unbiased does not balance out left biased. The overall effect is left biased.

I said the educational system is unbalanced. Not all left. Unbalanced. And yes, that implies a left bias. That's what I'm saying.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My experiences with the educational system have been mixed, my sons both went through public education K-12 and then on to IU. Left educators or right, two things always bothered me, the idea that I was some sort of bottomless money pit and that I should not be able to hold them accountable for the quality of service I was paying for. When I asked about that I received responses from, "that's just the way it is" to "you wouldn't understand."

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I said the educational system is unbalanced. Not all left. Unbalanced. And yes, that implies a left bias. That's what I'm saying.

OK, got it. I think we agree on that. When I say the education system is left biased I am talking about the system as a whole. That does not say every single piece is left biased. There are some that are more centrist and some that are left biased. There may even be some that are right biased but those are less common. The overall effect is definitely left biased.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OK, got it. I think we agree on that. When I say the education system is left biased I am talking about the system as a whole. That does not say every single piece is left biased. There are some that are more centrist and some that are left biased. There may even be some that are right biased but those are less common. The overall effect is definitely left biased.

It looks to me like most of the dense urban centers have schools with more of a left bias. Rural schools are center to possibly right, though I haven't experienced any schools that are right-biased myself. The school my son went to is center, I would say.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The problem with the left bias in academia is the ideological bubbles, and the orthodoxy that creates. Biases are created against conservative professors. I think there are some, but they're afraid to let their ideas be known. Even some academics on the left, who aren't bat **** crazy, are afraid to speak up against the orthodoxy.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You got some of that new information the Democrats keep flappin' their gums about? You have my undivided attention. . .

Adam Schiff has 8,000 pages of absolute proof of Trump's Russian collusion, 6,000 pages of abuse of power proof, and 4,000 pages of obstruction proof. The trial must last a minimum of 54 months to allow further investigation and additional charges.
    Anything less is a cover-up.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The entirety of the education system is out of balance and leaning way left.

This is also false.

What kind of fairy tale world are you living in?

The education system has been trending left consistently since I graduated HS in 1980, you need to take off both pairs of the Rose colored and Roy Orbison super dark tinted glasses.
    Otherwise just keep them on and believing the status quo that's being fed to you.
    :@ya:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

The education system has been trending left consistently since I graduated HS in 1980, you need to take off both pairs of the Rose colored and Roy Orbison super dark tinted glasses.
    Otherwise just keep them on and believing the status quo that's being fed to you.

You mean take the blue pill?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

So the ENTIRETY of the educational system is leans WAY left? Nope, that just ain’t true.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So the ENTIRETY of the educational system is leans WAY left? Nope, that just ain’t true.

... this is where the argument stops being an argument, and goes back to that point-scoring thing. Highlighting specific words to mean literal things.

So, yes. The entirety of the ed system is not way left.

I guess we can move on

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom