Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Starting at ground level...
    Do you agree that the MSM is left-biased?
    Do you agree that the education system is left-biased?

(I am willing to discuss this further but right now I have no choice - I have to go blow a bunch of snow or I won't be able to get to my grandson's hockey game this afternoon.)

1. Yes
    2. No

Get that done. You'll have lot more fun at your grandson's hockey game, that talking to dummies like me.

No, I don't. Universities sure, but they don't make up the whole of the educational system.

I am going to respectfully disagree with Kutnupe here and need to explain why.

In the university setting they strive toward truth and inclusiveness so that students from all backgrounds and ethnicities feel welcome. No one should be discouraged from expressing their opinion or feel excluded based upon any previously existing social identity. This is a good thing. The more human being we have achieving their maximum potential, the better overall the human race will become.

However, our current society is much different from the one 100+ years ago. We require every teacher to have gone to college, every journalist must have a journalism degree or at least some type of degree. As such most will lean at least slightly liberal due to their have been passed through a liberal environment for several years. Certainly, not all will be liberal, but the bent will be that way. Thus, they will pass on that bent either in the media or in the lower levels of education.

This in and of itself is not bad. It is beneficial for our children to be tolerant of other children, whether their skin colour or accent may be different.

There is, in my opinion, a great void in both higher education AND lower education, that being the tremendous lack of teaching to critically think. Conservatives parents generally are against critical thinking as it may well conflict with their social and/or religious indoctrination of their children. How many very religious parents want their children to keep asking for proof that their religion is right? Some, of course, but the majority don't like to be openly challenged, especially if they themselves are not good at debating openly and on an even playing field. They often resort to the logical fallacy of an "appeal to authority" where either they say so or the Bible/Torah/Koran says so, thus endeth the lesson.

On the other end of the spectrum liberals who have decided upon a "truth" due to alleged scientific investigation are often extremely reluctant to give up a belief that they held dear, even though new science may well contradict it. As an extreme example of this we need only go back a few years when a group came out with a study that showed women should NOT self screen for breast cancer. The American media went Ape :poop: crazy! American academia went Bat:poop: crazy! They had been told years ago to do this, bought into it, and it has now become dogma! Ignore entirely the fact that the group saying it was more of a problem than a solution was the SAME ONE that argued for self testing decades ago. New studies showed that too many false positives were creating a strain on the system and interfering with the women who truly had breast cancer. They did not advocate against regular testing but to simply stop self diagnosis. The progressives resoundingly rejected new science because they knew what was right and once set on course they refused to change it. Again, a failure of critical thinking and understanding the why of the new advice.

No one likes to be proven wrong. We feel bad when we are wrong, this is part of human nature. So we are already at a psychological disadvantage when it comes to critical thinking. Critical thinking takes work. As college tries to be tolerant, a good thing, they carry it way too far by failing themselves to critically think about what exactly they are pushing on their students. As appointed experts others then rely upon their college professors as the absolute authority and fail to question them. Then they go into our schools and teach and into our press rooms and illuminate us with the news, often failing to think critically and ask obvious questions of the very experts they put in front of us.

As an example of a failure of critical thinking in the media I have heard many journalists interview economists and others regarding the effects of President Trumps use of tariffs against China. All (that I have heard) have bemoaned the damage done to both economies by the trade war. However, NO journalist has asked the obvious followup question, "Where would the United States be in 30 years if we maintained the status quo of doing nothing regarding China's theft of intellectual property and unfair competition?" Yes, the tariffs are bad and yes they do hurt. However, since Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, and Obama did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to challenge China's massive undermining of our economy we are left with little choice but to use a hammer to get their attention.

Sorry, long winded again.

Regards,

Doug

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Our high school and elementary school served the same lunches. In elementary school they would pass out a lunch menu at the start of the week that showed what was for lunch that week, and I’d always check my nephews menu to see if pizza day was coming up. Only difference was high school had vending machines, so I usually got a bag of skittles and went to the gym to play basketball during lunch.

There was 3 lunches I lived for, the 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 rectangular pizza's, Pizza Burger's and Chili with PB sandwich's and a carrot and celery stick on the side that ended up on my PB sandwich

Damn I miss school.

This may I'll attending my 40th reunion, not going to lie either, I miss school, simpler times, less worries. Friendships that I still have to this day because of school.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When I first started elementary school it was in a one room schoolhouse with one teacher for all eight grades. No lunches served, you brought your own in your lunch box... and then traded your lunch items for stuff you really wanted, like marbles, squirt guns and slingshots.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Guilty until proven innocent.

Capture.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-impeachment-doug-collins-mark-levin-steny-hoyer-innocence

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Interesting take on impeachment by Sen. Chuck Schumer. In 1999...

"It has shaken me that we stand at the brink of removing a President — not because of a popular groundswell to remove him and not because of the magnitude of the wrongs he’s committed — but because conditions in late 20th century America has made it possible for a small group of people who hate Bill Clinton and hate his policies to very cleverly and very doggedly exploit the institutions of freedom that we hold dear and almost succeed in undoing him."

"If you had asked me one year ago if people like this with such obvious political motives could use our courts, play the media and tantalize the legislative branch to achieve their ends of bringing down the President, I would have said “not a chance — that doesn’t happen in America.”

https://nypost.com/2020/01/18/charl...comes-back-to-bite-him/?utm_source=reddit.com

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Interesting take on impeachment by Sen. Chuck Schumer. In 1999...

"It has shaken me that we stand at the brink of removing a President — not because of a popular groundswell to remove him and not because of the magnitude of the wrongs he’s committed — but because conditions in late 20th century America has made it possible for a small group of people who hate Bill Clinton and hate his policies to very cleverly and very doggedly exploit the institutions of freedom that we hold dear and almost succeed in undoing him."

"If you had asked me one year ago if people like this with such obvious political motives could use our courts, play the media and tantalize the legislative branch to achieve their ends of bringing down the President, I would have said “not a chance — that doesn’t happen in America.”

https://nypost.com/2020/01/18/charl...comes-back-to-bite-him/?utm_source=reddit.com

If it weren't for double standards, the likes of Chuck-You Schumer would have no standards at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom