• ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I wouldn't be that harsh.

I don't know that person but apparently she's a Brit now living in the US (or visiting for a whole) and she's obviously having a cultural shock when it comes to guns.

It's just the way she was raised and taught.
    It's the UK guns are a symbol of violence and danger, not safety and freedom as they are in the US.

Most UK cops are not even trusted with handguns and your average citizen cannot own one.
    Many people in the UK have never seen a gun that close, not even on a police officer's belt.
    And of course never held one and yet alone shot one.

You should feel privileged (and you are) to be accustomed to the sight of a firearm and to have the right to own guns.

She's afraid there might be a gun fight just because she sees a gun.
    She's afraid someone might grab that gun at start shooting people.
    She even thinks she's the one who could grab the gun (that part is cute).

I wouldn't blame her for not having been raised the way you were raised.
    You shouldn't wish to have her go back to her country but instead giver her time to familiarize with her new found freedom.
    In a few years she might write "America you have a solution" while she's posting picture of herself proudly carrying a gun in a coffee shop.

I'd be even harsher, but this is INGO.

The last thing we need in this country is more sheep who are programmed from birth to rely on the nanny state for their security. If she really misses the UK that much, there is an easy solution waiting for her at the nearest airport. Things didn't turn out so well for the last Brits who thought America "had a problem."

The likelihood of this latte-sipping hag suddenly appreciating the 2nd Amendment is about the same as the UN doing anything about North Korea.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I wouldn't be that harsh.

I don't know that person but apparently she's a Brit now living in the US (or visiting for a whole) and she's obviously having a cultural shock when it comes to guns.

It's just the way she was raised and taught.
    It's the UK guns are a symbol of violence and danger, not safety and freedom as they are in the US.

Most UK cops are not even trusted with handguns and your average citizen cannot own one.
    Many people in the UK have never seen a gun that close, not even on a police officer's belt.
    And of course never held one and yet alone shot one.

You should feel privileged (and you are) to be accustomed to the sight of a firearm and to have the right to own guns.

She's afraid there might be a gun fight just because she sees a gun.
    She's afraid someone might grab that gun at start shooting people.
    She even thinks she's the one who could grab the gun (that part is cute).

I wouldn't blame her for not having been raised the way you were raised.
    You shouldn't wish to have her go back to her country but instead giver her time to familiarize with her new found freedom.
    In a few years she might write "America you have a solution" while she's posting picture of herself proudly carrying a gun in a coffee shop.
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Any visitor to this country, or any other for that matter, should be aware that there is a different culture and different social norms. Whether you agree with them or not they exist and it is not the responsibility of the visitor to declare those customs wrong, as she has done in this case. I do not think that there are too many people who would look kindly on someone coming into their home, sneering at you and telling you that you have a problem and that you must change your way of life to suit them.

Her fear of firearms does not give her any special right to erode the freedoms of others.

Neither of us are natural born Americans, positive firearm culture was not a part of our own country's identity as we grew up. It is fair to say that by and large it was something that we were ignorant of. But we both made the conscious decision to learn more about that as a facet of this wonderful country because it is a part of the culture here rather than look down our noses at American culture. We understood that this is not Europe, France, or Ireland. It was a country with it's own history and culture that existed long before we got here, and will endure long after we have passed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Any visitor to this country, or any other for that matter, should be aware that there is a different culture and different social norms. Whether you agree with them or not they exist and it is not the responsibility of the visitor to declare those customs wrong, as she has done in this case. I do not think that there are too many people who would look kindly on someone coming into their home, sneering at you and telling you that you have a problem and that you must change your way of life to suit them.

Her fear of firearms does not give her any special right to erode the freedoms of others.

Neither of us are natural born Americans, positive firearm culture was not a part of our own country's identity as we grew up. It is fair to say that by and large it was something that we were ignorant of. But we both made the conscious decision to learn more about that as a facet of this wonderful country because it is a part of the culture here rather than look down our noses at American culture. We understood that this is not Europe, France, or Ireland. It was a country with it's own history and culture that existed long before we got here, and will endure long after we have passed.

Oh man, I disagree with this big time. I'm always talking about the flaws of other nations when I'm in them. In Britain, in particular, Ive complained out firearms, bad pizza, CCTV, spending millions generation after generation of a family, food handling practices, and how odd it is they play cricket. Just because you're visitor, doesn't mean you can't critique the nation you are in. In fact every person does it. It's completely natural. I've always said, if you want to appreciate America, go to another country. If you're not making cultural comparisons, you don't have the ability to recognize how great our nation is.... but like I said, everyone does it.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I count the 6 months in the UK on an exchange program worse than a year in Korea.
    The ridged class system and view that Americans are all inbred and stupid.
    As far as I am concerned the Euro trash can go live in Europe and create a great welfare state. Then bring in hordes of people from the middle east. Who in 25 years or less will bring the Europeans to there knees because of their own stupidity and belief that everyone is a "good person" Then guess who they will run to for help?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

She's not eroding your freedom.She's just stating her opinion.
    It's a good thing that she's allowed to express her opinion (even if it's negative).It's America, not North Korea.
    The fact that some people think she should get punished (kicked out of the country) for exercising her first amendement right is disturbing.

You would think that a group of folks who firmly believe in the second amendment would also believe equally firmly in the first.

Even if you know there is a different social norm in another country you might still point out things that you find odd, or wrong, based on your values.

If you go to Saudi Arabia and witness a woman getting arrested because she attempted to drive a car, will you feel that you can't say it's wrong because you are a foreign visitor?

What is great about America is that I can come visit, as a foreigner, and tell you that everything is wrong there ... and I won't be thrown in jail.
    The police will even protect me if I stand on the sidewalk with a megaphone and tell everybody that America has a problem with whatever I think is wrong (processed cheese is not real cheese?).

I can't do the same in North Korea (or China and many other countries).

Even if I don't agree with that person who thinks there's a "gun problem" in America I still support her freedom of speech.

She thinks guns are a probem? Well that cop carrying a gun is what gives her the ability to freely express her freedom of speech.
    That's what's awesome about America.:patriot:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Foreigners are guests and IMO should act accordingly. If they're unhappy here, as mentioned above a solution is as close as the nearest airport.

My wife once worked with a woman who married a guy from England. The few times I was around him socially, all he did was complain about how screwed up we are here. For the sake of my wife I kept my mouth shut.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You would think that a group of folks who firmly believe in the second amendment would also believe equally firmly in the first.

You'd think. But a fair amount also find the 4th, 6th, and 8th overrated.:rolleyes:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It's a good thing that she's allowed to express her opinion (even if it's negative).It's America, not North Korea.
    The fact that some people think she should get punished (kicked out of the country) for exercising her first amendement right is disturbing.

I didn't see any calls to kick her out. Only some suggestions that perhaps she would be happier back where she came from.
    Perhaps you can point out the posts demanding that the government kick her out?
    And for the record, I think most of us here are aware that we do not live in North Korea. Thanks anyway, professor.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Foreigners are guests and IMO should act accordingly. If they're unhappy here, as mentioned above a solution is as close as the nearest airport.

This isn't directed specifically at you, but - having some familiarity with how Americans are viewed abroad - this sentiment is highly ironic.
    :)

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Even if you know there is a different social norm in another country you might still point out things that you find odd, or wrong, based on your values.

If you go to Saudi Arabia and witness a woman getting arrested because she attempted to drive a car, will you feel that you can't say it's wrong because you are a foreign visitor?

What is great about America is that I can come visit, as a foreigner, and tell you that everything is wrong there ... and I won't be thrown in jail.
    The police will even protect me if I stand on the sidewalk with a megaphone and tell everybody that America has a problem with whatever I think is wrong (processed cheese is not real cheese?).

I can't do the same in North Korea (or China and many other countries).

Even if I don't agree with that person who thinks there's a "gun problem" in America I still support her freedom of speech.

She thinks guns are a probem? Well that cop carrying a gun is what gives her the ability to freely express her freedom of speech.
    That's what's awesome about America.:patriot:
    She absolutely has the right to express herself. She does not have the right to dictate a country's course of action. Especially not as someone who has no say in the matter.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    She absolutely has the right to express herself. She does not have the right to dictate a country's course of action. Especially not as someone who has no say in the matter.

:yesway:

She has the right to voice her opinion but not the power to change the law (not a law maker and probably doesn't have the right to vote in the US).
    I think we agree on that. :)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My wife once worked with a woman who married a guy from England. The few times I was around him socially, all he did was complain about how screwed up we are here. For the sale of my wife I kept my mouth shut.

Did he end up paying a fair price for her in the end? :stickpoke:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I didn't see any calls to kick her out. Only some suggestions that perhaps she would be happier back where she came from.
    Perhaps you can point out the posts demanding that the government kick her out?
    And for the record, I think most of us here are aware that we do not live in North Korea. Thanks anyway, professor.

You're, right.You (or others) suggested that she should go back to her country and it's not the same as being kicked out.

And I know you're fully aware you're not living in North Korea, and I didn't mean to insult you by saying that.
    I'm sorry if I did.
    I was just saying that having the right to openly criticize the country/regime/culture as a foreigner should be cherished as it's not something you can do in countries with less freedom (like North Korea and many others).
    Maybe I wasn't clear.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom