• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Go into Elmores, walk up to the shortest guy at the counter and call him Frodo, then ask him the same question. He'll have all the information you wish to hear. Like I said, I wasn't there. I don't care to distribute 3rd hand information over the internet.

Yeah, I'm not driving 170 miles for that.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I had another good experience at elmore's yesterday. Jason and the rest of the staff were great. I ordered my Daniel Defense 300 blackout and should have it next week. My son ran around with another little boy and got chased by the black lab and had a great time. I've never had a bad experience there. I know some have, but mine have been great. That is the beauty of a free market.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I've been to Elmore's once. Wasn't impressed. After reading this thread, guess I'm not alone.....

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    AH, I see Elmore's is living up to their reputation of A$$hattery. Pretty sad as it has such great potential to be a fantastic establishment..... minus the staff. The staff are what kills the experience of the shop, Period. You can only have so much business from LEO's when it comes to selling firearms. At some point you would think a little light bulb would click and someone would say.."oh sh**, we need to change our attitudes!" But, then again that would be akin to changing....and they do not appear to welcome change. To the OP...you are 100 times better off going to Bradis, Profire Arms, hell there are not to many shops that cannot beat Elmore's in a competition. Good luck!
    Used to help a family run a gun show out at the holt road armory back in the '80s. Mr. Elmore used to set up at the show. He usually had a good selection of guns, but was always a smart### as were the people helping him. If it wasn't for his wife getting him guns sales at AGT he probably wouldn't have that store. Never been in the shop, but it sounds par for the course

KQuinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    I enjoy going into Elmore's. There is no other shop in the area that is solely dedicated to the tactical aspect of firearms. I have not bought a complete gun from them yet. If I buy parts though its from them. They have pricematched anything I brought to their attention. They keep a lot of accessories in stock for the ar15 platform. Though some of the employees have not been very courteous I avoid this by asking for Jason directly. He is very knowledgable and friendly. I'll continue to visit this shop despite the harsh reviews as they continue to help me.

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    I have been in this a few time's when we go to the mall from the south. I would have to agree some in there act like a bunch of jackasses and very cocky. Like that's the price take or leave it. I think they get some of their attitude just from being around Indy. Not that all of Indy is bad.I wouldn't waste my time on them

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have been to Elmore"s a few times. From my first visit I noticed, The owner is a blow hard loud talker. The staff ignore you.They will answers your questions when asked. The staff seem to horse play alot. They have good selection with average price. They seem to like the police best. Im an ex- police officer but keep it on the down low, if i even ever mention it. Despite all that,I still shop there. Im not looking for friends in a gun shop, just selection and price. And, they are 1 mile from my house.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    If you can tolerate dumbanus employees/owners, rude conduct, and a complete lack of business skills, it is true that Elmore's has the best selection of high-end handguns in the Indy area. If you have money, and want to buy Sigs, HKs, etc., they are the only place to go in town to see them in numbers. You just have to be willing to be treated like poop to get them. Personally, the Internet is the ONLY way to buy NIB guns for me. I'll never buy new from a LGS ever again. It's just stupid. Too many excellent gunshops on the Net.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I live close to Elmore's so I've been in there a half dozen times. Prices seem to be average to slightly better than average. Same as everywhere else, their inventory is pretty thin lately. I don't have any specific knocks against them but I like the atmosphere of Beech Grove better. Going to take my first run out to Bradis soon. In all truth, I would rather go to the Gander Mountain on County Line and 65 than go to Elmore's. I think there's something to be said for having a sales staff that's smart, courteous, professional looking and sounding. So far the staff at Elmore's is the lowest level of professionalism that I've experienced.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you can tolerate dumbanus employees/owners, rude conduct, and a complete lack of business skills, it is true that Elmore's has the best selection of high-end handguns in the Indy area. If you have money, and want to buy Sigs, HKs, etc., they are the only place to go in town to see them in numbers. You just have to be willing to be treated like poop to get them. Personally, the Internet is the ONLY way to buy NIB guns for me. I'll never buy new from a LGS ever again. It's just stupid. Too many excellent gunshops on the Net.

Actually that honor would go to Indiana Gun Club, way more high end handguns than Elmores. Elmores used to have a lot of high end rifles but not anymore.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This, not everywhere in this world is lollipops, potpourri, powdered baby butts and roses. If ya don't like it then don't go there. As for you that have never been in there don't rule out a place because someone else is trashing it, be an adult, keep an open mind and go try it if ya don't like it don't go.

I for one love going to Elmore's and usually don't frequent any other shops. I however enjoy open honest, straight-forward no candy coating on my conversation and enjoy adult time.

To each their own. I give Elmore's :yesway:

The OP was simply sharing a story, and HIS opinion on how a gun shop should operate, and from the looks of it, many agree. You're right, to each his own, but it sounds like they alienate a lot of folks.

On another topic: I gave Elmore's a call today to ask if an item was in stock. His response: "I dunno."
    My response: "Are you able to check or is there a better time for me to call?"
    His response: "No." Click.

If you don't wanna answer stock questions over the phone, that's fine, I get it, but just tell me that's your policy. If they had it, I was gonna drop the cash on it, instead I found it somewhere else. :dunno:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    We always used it as people that just sucked up to cops and cop wannabes. The girls that only dated cops we called something I can't type here. ;)
    Hmm... "badge bunny" comes to mind but I don't think that's what you were thinking?

I recommend Bryan and Matt up at Indy Trading Post. There is nothing more I could ever expect from them. They are amazing. They even let me get kind of creative and do some experimenting....
    I like ITP, I just wish the range was ventilated better. If all 5 lanes are going and you're not wearing a mask ( something like this: 3M 8233 Particulate Respirator S-17013 - Uline ) you really can't stand more than 30 minutes ... unless you like an unusual heaviness of all of the powder/dust/lead in your lungs. Even at 30 minutes with how I feel walking out when not wearing a mask it is cause for concern.

Beyond that - @OP - what you say about Elmore's doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't be surprised either if they made fun of you the moment you were out the door about the whole situation. At the end of the day, the few times I've gone there it's been for something they had that I couldn't get somewhere else or because they have a good selection and I just wanted to browse.

I'll just say you likely handled that situation better than I would have.

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've only been to Elmore's once. Had cash in my pocket and found the gun I was looking for. I stood in front of the counter and waited 30 minutes before someone asked if I needed anything. Store wasn't too busy and two other customers that came in after me were asked and helped first. I laughed, said no thanks and drove to Plainfield shooting supplies and was helped before the front door closed.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm a local gunsmith and I've done work for Russ and Jason over the years. I don't visit the shop on a regular basis...perhaps once every 3 months or so. There is a certain "old style gunshop" gestalt that you get from Russ and George. Jason is more what I see from professional USPSA types.

Overall, I've had a long-standing very good relationship with all of them. I've seen them spend a very long time with a new shooter or someone who was uncertain about their prospective purchase. However, if you show up the first time in camo and say you were on the Army Pistol Team...be prepared for some ribbing.

I don't carry many firearms, and when I get a firearm in trade that doesn't fit my customer set, I've always been able to work out a fair trade or sale with Russ.

There are about 1/5th the number of FFL's in the country we used to have. Who knows what will happen after the Newtown deal? I appreciate Elmore's Guns being in Greenwood and I do consider them friends as well as professional associates. The community would be worse off if they weren't there.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Long time reader--first time poster.
    KLCalloway, Last night I read about your experience at Elmore’s. I have shopped at Elmore’s,Bradis, and PSS and have received good service from them all.
    Being that I have been in customer sales/service for almost two decades, I was wondering about a few things:
    How do you believe Elmore’s should have handled your experience?
    What would you have done differently?
    Thanks in advance, MoDog

I don't know what the "staff" should do, at LEAST an apology, but had it been me, there would most likely been some kind of gunfight .....:twocents:
    I would have DEFINATLY drawn .......:draw:

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    In all truth, I would rather go to the Gander Mountain on County Line and 65 than go to Elmore's. I think there's something to be said for having a sales staff that's smart, courteous, professional looking and sounding.......

Since you didn't post this in purple, we can only assume you were serious. I would truly go to Don's before I'd go to Gander Mountain. Please don't insult yourself in this way.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Actually that honor would go to Indiana Gun Club, way more high end handguns than Elmores. Elmores used to have a lot of high end rifles but not anymore.

I was in IGC a few weeks ago. Didn't see much there at all. Mostly long guns. Even on a low-inventory day, I would guess that Elmore's will have 5x the number of truly high-end handguns (we're not talking Glocks here....) that IGC has on its best day of the year.

Again, selection and price have never been the problem at Elmore's. For those with money, Elmore's is the place to go for high-end handguns. You just have to be willing to tolerate the lower intellects while you're there. As others have suggested, if possible, work with Jason. Avoid Russ like the plague. And (this is important), if there are more than 5 customers in the store when you enter, just turn around and leave. You have zero chance of being treated like anything but poop.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom