• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Andre Carson just posted on his FB that he will be introducing legislation NATIONWIDE for all police officers to wear body cams.

How do you feel about body cams?
    From my perspective, it seems to save them more than hurt them. Especially now with the culture of automatically assuming the office was in the wrong in every instance.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Andre Carson just posted on his FB that he will be introducing legislation NATIONWIDE for all police officers to wear body cams.

From my perspective, it seems to save them more than hurt them. Especially now with the culture of automatically assuming the office was in the wrong in every instance.

I had read that the SJW were not happy with cams as they usually exonerated the officer...

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

I had read that the SJW were not happy with cams as they usually exonerated the officer...

The very vast majority of officers I know, and discussion about them in the LE community (and of course me as well) are absolutely for them. Ingomike is correct that once cams were integrated into departments, many minority groups then dissuaded from their use as they showed that minority arrestees were compiling evidence against themselves, thus making it harder to argue against the arrestee’s behavior and getting their payday.

In modern policing, we fully understand how important video documentation has become, and we welcome it. Overwhelmingly, body cam footage has exonerated officers in arrests and use of force complaints and reviews. In my tenure of just shy of 20 years, none of my compatriots have been against them.

The rub comes in when it comes to funding mechanisms and logistics. Smaller agencies can afford to buy ten cameras and the data storage, an agency such as IMPD can nary afford to keep vehicles operational, let alone a multimillion dollar purchase of 2,000 body cams and the data storage needed. Policies and oversight need to be written, and there are many concerns:

-Privacy (both the officer and citizen)

-Review and release of footage (again, more privacy; who has access, etc.)

-Technical effectiveness (How tough are they? Will the battery last a whole shift? What happens if it gets knocked off/covered during a scuffle?)

-Officer’s use for report writing (Can the footage be viewed by an officer to assist in writing the report? There have been complaints made that officers should not be able to use it for report writing as it taints the officer’s interpretation of the event - even though that’s the standard we have now.)

These are just a few concerns off the top of my head. It’s not that they diminish their effectiveness, it’s just part of the logistical process that the public doesn’t think about. Much of the public thinks that we don’t want body cams so that we can continue our “war against the public” and have no accountability. In fact, it’s just the opposite, since they back us up and show the public what we deal with on an hourly basis.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    The very vast majority of officers I know, and discussion about them in the LE community (and of course me as well) are absolutely for them. Ingomike is correct that once cams were integrated into departments, many minority groups then dissuaded from their use as they showed that minority arrestees were compiling evidence against themselves, thus making it harder to argue against the arrestee’s behavior and getting their payday.

In modern policing, we fully understand how important video documentation has become, and we welcome it. Overwhelmingly, body cam footage has exonerated officers in arrests and use of force complaints and reviews. In my tenure of just shy of 20 years, none of my compatriots have been against them.

The rub comes in when it comes to funding mechanisms and logistics. Smaller agencies can afford to buy ten cameras and the data storage, an agency such as IMPD can nary afford to keep vehicles operational, let alone a multimillion dollar purchase of 2,000 body cams and the data storage needed. Policies and oversight need to be written, and there are many concerns:

-Privacy (both the officer and citizen)

-Review and release of footage (again, more privacy; who has access, etc.)

-Technical effectiveness (How tough are they? Will the battery last a whole shift? What happens if it gets knocked off/covered during a scuffle?)

-Officer’s use for report writing (Can the footage be viewed by an officer to assist in writing the report? There have been complaints made that officers should not be able to use it for report writing as it taints the officer’s interpretation of the event - even though that’s the standard we have now.)

These are just a few concerns off the top of my head. It’s not that they diminish their effectiveness, it’s just part of the logistical process that the public doesn’t think about. Much of the public thinks that we don’t want body cams so that we can continue our “war against the public” and have no accountability. In fact, it’s just the opposite, since they back us up and show the public what we deal with on an hourly basis.
    Can I get access to bloopers?

I want to start Crooks Gone Wild and sell it on vhs during late night infomercials.

Y'all could just wear a pasgt like Denny all the time with a Mohoc camera.

"If you can loot in person, you can Vote in person" -Me

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I would be concerned that they'd be used to show the errors in the Officer's report. Lapses in memory are a known issue and unless it's a malicious manipulation, we need to not hold someone's feet to the fire... but no one wants to allow room for error--there's always an insidious reason for the lapse.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

I wonder if budget allocations can be set up for very specific purposes, like providing the logistics for body cameras, and not just a blanket "here make this money disappear" kind of deal?

If it was a federally mandated thing, I'd think states would be forced to allocate budget specific to the purpose. But I also realize that politics is going to take a :poop: on it...

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    At our agency, the camera footage has exonerated the officer in every citizen complaint. Its quite unbelievable honestly, but accurate. Even criminally and civilly justified a fatal shooting of an unarmed man that was a suicide by cop.
    After we bought ours, every surrounding agency was hit-to-trot after seeing the benifits.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just saw on Fox59 (on the TV, no link): protest at IMPD NW District HQ today. Hey Frank: let's be careful out there.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The rub comes in when it comes to funding mechanisms and logistics. Smaller agencies can afford to buy ten cameras and the data storage, an agency such as IMPD can nary afford to keep vehicles operational, let alone a multimillion dollar purchase of 2,000 body cams and the data storage needed.

Can I [STRIKE]get access to[/STRIKE] buy the rights to bloopers?

I want to start Crooks Gone Wild and sell it on vhs during late night infomercials.

Problem defined, problem solved.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can I get access to bloopers?

In a similar vein, I have the solution to the border. Create a constant, 100m wide "DMZ" like the old E/W German border. Barbed wire on both sides, land mines between, and automatic sentry guns every 100m. Cameras everywhere. Make the feed PPV and use the proceeds to fund the construction. Knowing the sick F-ers here (in the world, not INGO) we would run a surplus.

Oh, and if you can make it across alive, you get to stay. And maybe even get a tee shirt. LOL

Top Bottom