• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm not sure which angle you're coming in from with these posts, but I'll admit I have had a couple beers

A couple? I thought my point was pretty clear, but I have had a bunch of beer. :laugh: Dogs are dogs. the more popular they become the more people get them and the more incidents you will hear about. From talking to some dog owners the one you do not want to be bitten by is the chow.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    A couple? I thought my point was pretty clear, but I have had a bunch of beer. :laugh: Dogs are dogs. the more popular they become the more people get them and the more incidents you will hear about. From talking to some dog owners the one you do not want to be bitten by is the chow.

:laugh:

Got it. That's what I thought, but I didn't wanna get all chummy with the enemy :laugh:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Our family has had pits for generations and all of the children,including my own son,have been/are being raised alongside these dogs and we've never had one attack.My cousin rescued a fighter,retained him,and now he is the most gentle dog I've ever known and he is the epitome of a teddy bear.

Two of my three are fight ring rescues. One was a "bait" dog. Poor guy. But this same "poor guy" is my eldest Pit bull and most Loyal. Hes just a big teddy bear with our family.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont like dog bites no matter that's the breed and I think it's dangerous to only look at the pits and others like they are the dangerous ones.
    Any dog can be dangerous and any dog can bite you pretty bad even the little ones that dont look scary.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I dont like dog bites no matter that's the breed and I think it's dangerous to only look at the pits and others like they are the dangerous ones.
    Any dog can be dangerous and any dog can bite you pretty bad even the little ones that dont look scary.

Very true, my little wiener dog could bite my carotid artery while I am passed out on the floor.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Very true, my little wiener dog could bite my carotid artery while I am passed out on the floor.

Yep, or bite your big ears.

a.baa-drunk-bunny.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I realize other breeds bite too, but I have to say that pitbulls by far lead the unprovoked attack race, at least in what walks through my door.

Sylvain, is that the rabbit from Holy Grail??? I can't see the big fangs on that view

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I realize other breeds bite too, but I have to say that pitbulls by far lead the unprovoked attack race, at least in what walks through my door.

Sylvain, is that the rabbit from Holy Grail??? I can't see the big fangs on that view

How do you know they are unprovoked? Every person that gets bit by a chihuahua even says it was unprovoked

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How do you know they are unprovoked? Every person that gets bit by a chihuahua even says it was unprovoked

I caveated that in my initial post. A 6yo girl who is walking down the sidewalk and a dog runs up and bite them. I'm guessing that sort of thing is truly unprovoked.

And let me say that "unprovoked" to me means not doing anything to a dog that should lead to getting bit, not that there is no interaction with the dog.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Unprovoked or not I completely understand that you see a lot more pit bites than any other breed. I also know the kind of people who don't care what their dog does, don't train it, don't socialize it with other people and other dogs, don't pet it, don't walk it, don't play with it. Etc, etc, etc. Guess what breed of dog those kinds of people like to get. That being said I have literally dozens of people I know who own or have owned pitbulls. I have never once met one of them who is aggressive in any way. Then again I don't associate with the type of person who doesn't "raise" their dog properly. And yes you do have to raise a dog. I'd wager money that if you saw the environment these dogs that had bitten people came from, they would all be about the same. I'd also wager money that if you met some really laid back sweet pits and saw they environment they came from they would all look totally different from the first set of "homes".

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have seen some super friendly pit bull dogs. Quite a few to be quite honest. But I still stand by my opinion that they are by and large a breed that causes the majority of problems. That is my experience and it sounds like the doctors as well. I am curous to what the IMPD guys have to say on this.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    the other side of this is how many dogs need training to not randomly attack and bit people? I have had several mutts with no training who were just great dogs. Does a pit require training to not attack?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    the other side of this is how many dogs need training to not randomly attack and bit people? I have had several mutts with no training who were just great dogs. Does a pit require training to not attack?

I don't necessarily think so. There's a big difference though between not having any training and not having any socialization whatsoever. A dog with no training may not know how to sit or play dead but isn't necessarily aggressive. It's been my experience that a dog who is NEVER around anyone besides his owner is often aggressive toward other people. Or another scenario could be (and I've actuallly seen this more than once) that every time the dog IS around other people the owner is showing aggression. Almost like if a dog owner knows he's going to meet up with someone and "some stuff might go down" he'll take his dog with him to show someone else up. Dogs pick up on our moods. If owner is feeling nervous and aggressive, dog is too. I'm not saying that there aren't just plain old mean dogs out there. There are plenty. But more often than not it truly is because of how the dog was raised.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I got to disagree about them pits being evil. My dog and I have been attacked by a pit and we have encountered many pits over the years and no attacks. There is a field next to my house and I run my dog there. Today we encountered two dogs. A doberman which ran from my dog which was weird. And a pit setting in the back of a pickup truck. I would guess this was a very well trained dog. The owner just told him as he walked away to stay and he watched us but never even stood up in the back of the truck. Really depends on the dog and how he was raised. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom