• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can barely make out what you are saying. What do you mean, I must have never had the bread? Dogs are caught killing livestock all the time. It isn't all that uncommon, I think less common now than it used to be due to leash laws that many counties now have. Do you even understand the point that I was making? I actually don't think you do.

There are wild dog packs all through Indiana. They are more aggressive than Coyote as they have no real fear of man....until he shoots at them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for the reading tip churchmouse. He meant breed not bread. I really didn't catch that and thought maybe he was using bread as in money and I was thinking, what the heck is he saying?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thanks for the reading tip churchmouse. He meant breed not bread. I really didn't catch that and thought maybe he was using bread as in money and I was thinking, what the heck is he saying?

(You're showing your age, Expat. Has anybody referred to money as 'bread' since the 1970's)

:laugh:

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    Really? You hope that a farmer that shoots a pitbull, that is killing livestock, is himself killed by either a dog or its owner? As I recall, earlier in the thread, several folks said the problem wasn't the breed, it was the owners that owned pitbulls. I guess we have seen that demonstrated.

Darn! I hate that I missed good wishes from a reasonable, rational, highly literate pit bull owner. To be clear, my brother witnessed the attack, and was able to drive the pit bulls away with rocks and a club. Problem was, he was unarmed, and so unable to properly deal with the situation. I spoke with the owner, and of course, his first reaction was that his darlings could not possibly be involved. I explained they were without question involved, and we reached an agreement that he would keep the dogs off my property, and if he failed to do so, they would be shot on sight. He actually agreed I had no choice but to do that, and to date has kept up his end of the bargain. We treated the calf's wounds and treated it with antibiotics. We moved the pair to another pasture when the wounds on the back legs scabbed over and began to heal. A few days later, infection in both back legs burst open. We retreated, but it was a losing battle, and we lost the calf. When I spoke to the other neighbor, the pit bull owner's landlord, and told him what had happened, he realized what had happened to his animals- at least one, and possibly two foals, a Bassett hound, and a corgi that had all recently been killed in his yard and pasture. Because the pit bulls had not acted aggressive toward him, he had not suspected them, but blamed coyotes. As he said, we never had a coyote problem until the pit bulls came to the neighborhood.

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    You must have never had the bread or have any clue on the matter because I have 3 now and have had 5 through my life and never had problems unlees they were provoked ex.. dogs off there leash and in our yard or random people trying to pet them without them knowing it. It doesnt sound like a dog would be going for livestock which is 10* there size or chicken coop that should be fenced in from predators. So thanks for the useless point you tried to make.
    So in your own words, your pit bulls HAVE attacked both animals and people, but they were provoked, and it was someone else's fault. Hmm

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Not a stab at your comprehension skills. I saw what you did in his post. My comment was that these are animals. Dogs are dogs. Left in the wild they revert rather quickly into what they started out as.....animals. I have seen first hand how they kill live stock and have helped friends rid or at least reduce the threat.

I see in a lot of these posts how people put love and time into their dogs and get it back from the animals and that is good. I have also seen that folks do what so many "Parents" do these days and put up the denial shield around these (Kids??) animals that they can do no wrong. Truth is....they can and will in certain situations just like a man/woman will.

In the end they are dogs. Just a domesticated wild animal that is fully capable of pack mentality if put into that situation.

Edit...No, not every mean dog is a pit bull.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I've seen it first hand multiple times... So as it's already been said,
    Whether it's play fighting or getting a little rough, Pits do have a harder bite purely out of physical jaw structure (Which is half the reason why your "statistics" hold some truth).

The other half? LOOK AT A MAJORITY OF THE OWNERS. PERIOD. There's nothing else to it.

You don't see your Thug Country Boy from Indiana flaunting his Boston Terriers.... No, he's got a Pitbull.

I've got a Black Lab/Alaskan Malamute and a Mini Doberman Pincher/Boston Terrier mix... love them to death,
    But I still admit one of my good friends has a pure bred Pitbull that is the BIGGEST sweet heart you'll ever meet.
    - Around kids, around other dogs, around strangers...

All dogs have a natural instinct for survival (look any human or another other animal)...
    So anything is capable of turning violent out of instinct, just depends on the situation it's put into and if it feels threatened.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    OK, just gonna throw my :twocents: in...

My cousin's little girl had to have a bunch of stitches to put parts of her face back together from a retriever's bite...

We owned a yellow lab when i was younger, very sweet dog and loved everyone. We came home from church one day, he was in the yard staring at his raw hide chew. I walked over (about 10yo at the time) and bent down to pick of the treat and hand it to him...he locked his jaws right over my mouth. One tooth passed completely through my lip and another created a pencil sized hole in the center of my throat.

This dog was not abused, well cared for, and very loved...but he still sent me to the hospital. Do i blame the dog? The breed? The species for that matter? NO!! I bent down, got on his level, and (from his point of view) attempted to take something of his from him. I feel like that what happened shouldnt have and that with proper/better training, he would have never of even thought of biting me.

I have always been a dog owner and always will be...some i like and some i dont, labs are still one of my favorite breeds despite what happened. But i have a reminder every time i look in the mirror what ANY dog is capable of...its not what they will or wont do, but what they can do.

Many people don't even know the exact breed of their own dogs unless they buy it from a reputable breeder, let alone their neighbor's dog. It is really common for people to throw "pitbull" around without knowing what breed a dog actually is.

^^^The most true thing ive read in this whole thread, only because this just happened to me.

The misses and I own a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix (not sure the mix, Great Dane-like face but also see Boxer and Mastiff). We adopted him about 3 weeks ago and he is quickly becoming the sweetest/most well behaved dog ive ever owned. If you know what these dogs look like, there is little to no resemblance to a Pit Bull. Or so i thought...

Took him on a walk on day last week and was stopped by an elderly gentleman who lives up the hill. He walks passed about 3 times a day and we normally cant get away with less than a 15 min conversation (not that its a problem, just setting the back story). He takes one look at Remmy (the dog) and says...

OG - "You always had that thing?"
    Me - "No, we just adopted him. This is Remmy?"
    OG - "He looks like one of those mean dogs."
    Me - "Im not sure what "mean" dog your talking about...he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix though."
    OG - "No, no, no...hes one of those mean dogs. What are they called? A...uh....a PIT BULL! That's it, hes a Pit bull!" :n00b::n00b:

Now this gentleman has probably never seen a dog like Remmy so was unaware what his breed looks like (most people are confused when we say what he is). So in his mind he saw a "mean" dog and immediately thinks Pit Bull

As stated above, ANY dog can harm ANY human/animal at ANY time...if they feel they need to. I agree with what many others have stated; there is no "bad" breed of dog, only improper upbringing and training.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    OK, just gonna throw my :twocents: in...

We owned a yellow lab when i was younger, very sweet dog and loved everyone. We came home from church one day, he was in the yard staring at his raw hide chew. I walked over (about 10yo at the time) and bent down to pick of the treat and hand it to him...he locked his jaws right over my mouth. One tooth passed completely through my lip and another created a pencil sized hole in the center of my throat.

This dog was not abused, well cared for, and very loved...but he still sent me to the hospital. Do i blame the dog? The breed? The species for that matter? NO!! I bent down, got on his level, and (from his point of view) attempted to take something of his from him. I feel like that what happened shouldnt have and that with proper/better training, he would have never of even thought of biting me.

I have always been a dog owner and always will be...some i like and some i dont, labs are still one of my favorite breeds despite what happened. But i have a reminder every time i look in the mirror what ANY dog is capable of...its not what they will or wont do, but what they can do.

^^^The most true thing ive read in this whole thread, only because this just happened to me.

The misses and I own a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix (not sure the mix, Great Dane-like face but also see Boxer and Mastiff). We adopted him about 3 weeks ago and he is quickly becoming the sweetest/most well behaved dog ive ever owned. If you know what these dogs look like, there is little to no resemblance to a Pit Bull. Or so i thought...

Took him on a walk on day last week and was stopped by an elderly gentleman who lives up the hill. He walks passed about 3 times a day and we normally cant get away with less than a 15 min conversation (not that its a problem, just setting the back story). He takes one look at Remmy (the dog) and says...

OG - "You always had that thing?"
    Me - "No, we just adopted him. This is Remmy?"
    OG - "He looks like one of those mean dogs."
    Me - "Im not sure what "mean" dog your talking about...he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix though."
    OG - "No, no, no...hes one of those mean dogs. What are they called? A...uh....a PIT BULL! That's it, hes a Pit bull!" :n00b::n00b:

Now this gentleman has probably never seen a dog like Remmy so was unaware what his breed looks like (most people are confused when we say what he is). So in his mind he saw a "mean" dog and immediately thinks Pit Bull

As stated above, ANY dog can harm ANY human/animal at ANY time...if they feel they need to. I agree with what many others have stated; there is no "bad" breed of dog, only improper upbringing and training.

A similar thing happened to me when I was around 8. The neighbors took in a friendly stray, I was playing with the dog near it's food dish and got bit right below my right eye. The dog lacked training, and I don't think any of the adults present were aware of the food being a risk.

We have 3 dogs, the oldest and biggest baby is a pit bull. The other 2 are young Australian Cattle Dogs. Someone was at the house recently, and asked, "Are they all 3 pit bulls?" I replied, "No, just the big red one is, and he's the nicest of the bunch." Not that the ACDs are mean or bad, they are just young and very rowdy!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    It's all about how they are raised. Hell most Chihuahua's are more mean than any Pitbull I have ever met. These dogs are very loyal and loving animals and stand by their owners. My own mother used to have the same stigma many others have about these dogs until we got ours, now she wants one. :yesway:

We adopted out pit as a very young pup from a rescue. He was dropped off in a field with his mother during the winter. He was roughly 12 weeks old when we got him. He is the nicest dog and is literally afraid of everything...so much for mean. :rolleyes: He barks from time to time but would put money on him never biting anyone. He loves kids, people, and other animals even cats. Meet axle:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's all about how they are raised. Hell most Chihuahua's are more mean than any Pitbull I have ever met. These dogs are very loyal and loving animals and stand by their owners. My own mother used to have the same stigma many others have about these dogs until we got ours, now she wants one. :yesway:

We adopted out pit as a very young pup from a rescue. He was dropped off in a field with his mother during the winter. He was roughly 12 weeks old when we got him. He is the nicest dog and is literally afraid of everything...so much for mean. :rolleyes: He barks from time to time but would put money on him never biting anyone. He loves kids, people, and other animals even cats. Meet axle:
    [/

Well hello Axle

Top Bottom