• ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Parts are just parts man!........oh wait
    Somebody got offended! (Not you)Since I hurt some feelz, I probably shouldn’t post anymore on AR centric topics. I was wrong, they allz da same. Partz is partz, and INGO is by and large correct, they all beez partz. Sorry for the hurt feelz from the Cheap Charlie Eggspurts. Youse was right, the cheaper you get’em the betterz they are.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Somebody got offended! (Not you)Since I hurt some feelz, I probably shouldn’t post anymore on AR centric topics. I was wrong, they allz da same. Partz is partz, and INGO is by and large correct, they all beez partz. Sorry for the hurt feelz from the Cheap Charlie Eggspurts. Youse was right, the cheaper you get’em the betterz they are.

Trust me we're on the same page. Literally. Damn Mongorians......

hqdefault.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I don't understand why you feel it is necessary to be so patronizing, and insult other members because they choose a lesser rifle. I am not going to reread the whole thread to verify this, but I don't think anyone said a PSA, DPMS or Anderson are better, or equal to the high dollar rifles. The point most are making is, if you just plan on plinking some in the back yard, or maybe shooting a coyote from time to time, then the lesser rifle will fit the bill. As all agree, for competition, law enforcement or military, spending the money for a quality rifle makes perfect sense. And I don't believe any of us Cheap Charlies ever claimed to be Eggspurts. It appears to me, that only someone with a very expensive rifle is allowed to have an opinion in your book. My apologies to you sir. The statistical impossibility thing was a bit rude.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Watched a guy with a stock db15 run through an entire multigun match with no failures.... /gasp I was sure it would explode as soon as the timer beeped.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wonder what makes a rifle "quality" more than another. Let's assume we have one $700 rifle that is mil-spec or better. Another is $1700 and mil-spec or better.

What does that extra thousand buy? Perhaps it buys something a little better than mil-spec. But that of course begs the questions of 1) why do you need better? and 2) how much better is it?

Now, if you are buying something like a side-charger or other non-mil spec piece, then do what you want.

But I'm struggling to see how a Battle Arms forged lower is worth $200 when an Aero is $50, both made of mil-spec 7075 and machined to good tolerances.
    Why is one stripped lower $140 and the other $80 when they are made of the same material and process (Forged) and machined to mil spec tolerances?

Is a $300 trigger $200 more than a BCM or ALG?

So yes, you can buy quality or you can buy crap. But if you think that spending twice a much as a merely-milspec option is how you know you got one instead of the other, you might want to check your glass house before throwing stones.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ^^^Also true. Lots of flashy expensive parts do not necessarily make a good reliable rifle. You can get a QUALITY rifle that'll do everything you need for $800 or less. If you spend more, there's diminishing returns and you need to make the decision on if you want to spend your money on those things. And when you move up in price, you have to be careful not to spend money on flashy cool stuff if you're only after a battle rifle that's reliable/durable.

The rabbit hole is deep.....

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I wonder what makes a rifle "quality" more than another. Let's assume we have one $700 rifle that is mil-spec or better. Another is $1700 and mil-spec or better.

What does that extra thousand buy? Perhaps it buys something a little better than mil-spec. But that of course begs the questions of 1) why do you need better? and 2) how much better is it?

Now, if you are buying something like a side-charger or other non-mil spec piece, then do what you want.

But I'm struggling to see how a Battle Arms forged lower is worth $200 when an Aero is $50, both made of mil-spec 7075 and machined to good tolerances.
    Why is one stripped lower $140 and the other $80 when they are made of the same material and process (Forged) and machined to mil spec tolerances?

Is a $300 trigger $200 more than a BCM or ALG?

So yes, you can buy quality or you can buy crap. But if you think that spending twice a much as a merely-milspec option is how you know you got one instead of the other, you might want to check your glass house before throwing stones.

The answer to the trigger question is yes, I have alg, bcm, and a midway nibx (feels identical to the alg). And I have a few geiselles. The geiselles are exponentially better. Worth the extra? Depends on the user, but there is a very noticeable difference all the way around. Lowers? I don't care what is etched on it as long as everything fits and lines up properly. I like housebrand lowers for vanity purposes. I try to track down any that are made in Indiana or that have an entertaining logo. I won't buy a bcm lower being that some of them have issues accepting gen3 pmags.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Who uses pmags anymore.....Get with the cool kids and switch to Lancer mags. :abused:

The answer to the trigger question is yes, I have alg, bcm, and a midway nibx (feels identical to the alg). And I have a few geiselles. The geiselles are exponentially better. Worth the extra? Depends on the user, but there is a very noticeable difference all the way around. Lowers? I don't care what is etched on it as long as everything fits and lines up properly. I like housebrand lowers for vanity purposes. I try to track down any that are made in Indiana or that have an entertaining logo. I won't buy a bcm lower being that some of them have issues accepting gen3 pmags.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Who uses pmags anymore.....Get with the cool kids and switch to Lancer mags. :abused:

When the zombies come PMags will litter the ground like so many 3 leaf clovers, while Lancers will be like finding a 4 leaf clover. "oh no I gotta unload my pmag and load my lancers. Can you hold up a sec zombie horde."

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Dang it. I just bought some more Pmags and those D&H metal mags. People will laugh at me at the range now.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Perhaps a bad example on the triggers. But there are sub-$200 options that have no inferiority to the Geissele as visible on a target.

And I'm a total Geissele fanboy, as I'm not really considering anything by another one for my next build. Mad love for my SD-3G.

The point stands though. There are $300 barrels that cannot be determined to be less accurate than $500 ones. BCGs that cost twice as much and only offer theoretical benefits.

You take my point, in spite of the poor choice of Triggers as representative of it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Perhaps a bad example on the triggers. But there are sub-$200 options that have no inferiority to the Geissele as visible on a target.

And I'm a total Geissele fanboy, as I'm not really considering anything by another one for my next build. Mad love for my SD-3G.

The point stands though. There are $300 barrels that cannot be determined to be less accurate than $500 ones. BCGs that cost twice as much and only offer theoretical benefits.

You take my point, in spite of the poor choice of Triggers as representative of it.

I agree. There are a lot of parts you can get cheaper than top end, and have no noticeable loss in performance. Of course there will be those who spent beaucoup dollars on their whatever and will look down on everyone else even when their gun performs side by side with cheaper offerings in classes and competitions. Triggers are generally worth the money. An advanced mil spec will be good enough for most, but there is nothing wrong with spending some extra cash and rolling an sd 3g. Also my fave. Barrels and bcg's are interesting, lots of options and price points and lot of rebranding, a smart shopper can absolutely save some money and get the same product by shopping around and learning who manufactures what and for who.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've got mostly Geissele's, but bought a LaRue the other day to try it out. Haven't been to the range yet, but dry fire seems pretty good. Less than $100 with a 3 to 4 week wait.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Most people who talk about what's good and what's not dont shoot ther rifles enough to get the parts in them to the point of failure so they think all guns are all the same.
    They are not. Maybe a lesser costing AR will fit your needs and that is all you ever want to spend. No problem.
    Maybe you just want to own a high end AR and you're never going to shoot it much anyways, ok no problem.
    Maybe you are buying an AR for your life to depend on. Now I'd recommend purchasing wisely.
    If you are buying a $400 AR to save your life then reconsider and go purchase a glock and practice shooting it. You don't need an AR.
    A cheap mechanical or automatic watch will keep time, but a higher end one will keep it more accurate or at least was certified to a higher standard and it will be more robust and require less maintenance and if properly maintained will last hundreds of years.
    If you just want a watch that keeps time then buy a quartz. But it will eventualy fail and not be worth repairing even if you found the electronics.
    Do what makes you happy, but do not talk out your ass. I dont walk into an auto repair shop and tell the mechanic how to rebuild anengine. .

Top Bottom